Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
What's the incentive to take a short contract? I don't understand why he wouldn't be aiming for a long term deal. With his history of injuries that's a huge gamble to take.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's betting on himself, his health, and the system. Somewhat unusual today but if things fall into place he'll come out ahead.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He has no interest to leave Toronto. Arizona would end his career.
The only interest he has is lining his pocket. He's never taken a discount to win nor will he. Feel bad for Leafs they had so much promise right before signing Tavares. Guess this means Nylander is gone soon as he's not taking discount either now after his comments earlier about players taking discounts.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What's the incentive to take a short contract? I don't understand why he wouldn't be aiming for a long term deal. With his history of injuries that's a huge gamble to take.
The incentive is if he is in Hart territory during those 3 years (or even just the last one) and the cap is up 12m, he's looking at max type dollars.

Reactions: SENStastic

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's crazy thinking he's immortal or something? Taking short term deals for a player in his position doesn't make much sense. 3x$13.5M is still a lot of money, $40M. But he should be thinking about getting 7x$16M instead, because $112M is a lot MORE money, and you just never know in hockey when you might blow out a knee, slice an achilles, get concussions, etc. Take the longer term deal at bigger dollars today. Invest the money from your enormous signing bonuses on it, and you'll make up every penny and then some of what the future Cap increases would have given you. He must really love Toronto to be doing the Leafs such a favor.
:handclap:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Did anybody listen to him? He said Auston is getting 13.5M and the only thing they are haggling on is term. I believe Matthews wants a short term deal and the Leafs obviously want a longer one.

My prediction. He comes in at 13.5M x 5

When was this said? and where?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
13.5 million?

Slow Laugh GIFs | Tenor

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
13.5m is fine. It's an overpay, but we know he's going to get overpaid and we can live with that.

5 years is the right term for this deal. The injury concerns are real and he doesn't play a single game on this contract until he's 27. I don't see the need to have him locked up for his 32-35 y/o seasons.

3 years would be mental and would show that he's not actually serious about being the player the Leafs need and is worth committing 13.5m to. He's either in or he's out.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He's crazy thinking he's immortal or something? Taking short term deals for a player in his position doesn't make much sense. 3x$13.5M is still a lot of money, $40M. But he should be thinking about getting 7x$16M instead, because $112M is a lot MORE money, and you just never know in hockey when you might blow out a knee, slice an achilles, get concussions, etc. Take the longer term deal at bigger dollars today. Invest the money from your enormous signing bonuses on it, and you'll make up every penny and then some of what the future Cap increases would have given you. He must really love Toronto to be doing the Leafs such a favor.
:handclap:
It's true. If something major happens to him he will be getting 6.2 million a year from Arizona. If you're a die-hard fan of Matthews then you'll hate all this drama/speculation, but as a Leafs fan I'm at rest with these shorter deals.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
MacGinnon is the guy with no fifty goal seasons no Hart trophy and only one hundred point season who's going on 32 in a year or two right?

In Toronto that’s all they care about because sure as shit ain’t winning the cup with Matthews over 13M, Marner over 10M, then Willy at 9 or 10 potentially. But sure, let Matthews rack up a few shiny individual trophies and then ghost in the playoffs.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Damm that's a lot. I thought since they lost dubas they wouldn't hand out ridiculous deals.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

More money.

If he signs for 3 years today, he still a UFA at 29 years of age in July 2027. Then he can sign his big long term deal for big money... And he gets to do it when the salary cap is no longer flat and rapidly rising.

Think of it like this:

Option A) He signs 7x$13.5M with Toronto starting July 2024 when he's 26 turning 27. He becomes a UFA next when he's 32 turning 33 and at that age he signs a 3x$7M contract as a UFA then retires at 35/36.

Earnings over those 10 years: $115.5M

Option B) He signs 3x$13.5M with Toronto starting July 2024 when he's 26 turning 27. Becomes a UFA when he's 29 turning 30. At that age he's still a major top commodity that all teams would chase in free agency. At a $96M salary cap that year, Matthews signs a 7x$16M cap hit in free agency with Toronto or some other teams that takes him to 35/36 and then he retired.

Earnings over same 10 year period as Option A: $152.5M

The result? He makes an extra $37M in his career.

Reactions: HabsQC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad