Rumor: Kypreos: Regier on hot seat; well, not really, nothing imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Then why replace Regier about a year into a rebuild?

The impatient fans that are clamoring for heads are complaining about the W/L record. What happens if a new GM is hired, he waits until the deadline, trades away Miller, Vanek, and Ott, and this team gets worse.

He drafts a few good prospects and then what next summer? Sign more UFAs like Leino & Ehrhoff and the team is slightly better but not a playoff team?

If they hire a new GM, I hope they still have the patience to wait through a proper rebuild.

Right, because what is the new gm supposed to do? He either sits there and doesn't do anything and the team is just as bad, or he makes some trades and the team improves while messing up the rebuild.

We all know that Darcy could have easily put a better team on the ice, but thats not part of the plan.

If they fire Darcy now it will be stupid to watch everyone get excited, probably cheer a ton at their next two home games after he is gone, and then go back to watching a losing team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is no right or wrong time to get rid of a GM who isn't the future. There will always be a reason why there isn't a good time.

It's not overly complicated. Just ask themselves "Is Darcy the GM next year? The year after?" I not then just move on.

The rebuild is already committed to. We are awful, and a new GM isn't gonna ride into town with 7 year deals for Vanek and Miller.... A new GM is inheriting a rebuild

Pegula has stated on the record that Regier is the guy to rebuild the team.

What will have changed between the off season and now if they replace Regier?

That's why the timing doesn't make sense. From a rebuild POV, Regier appears to have the team on track, no?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Right, because what is the new gm supposed to do? He either sits there and doesn't do anything and the team is just as bad, or he makes some trades and the team improves while messing up the rebuild.

We all know that Darcy could have easily put a better team on the ice, but thats not part of the plan.

If they fire Darcy now it will be stupid to watch everyone get excited, probably cheer a ton at their next two home games after he is gone, and then go back to watching a losing team.

I do agree with this. Plenty of casual or intermediate fans that will jump on the new GM wagon, and after realizing we are obviously still a **** team in the ice go back to their day jobs.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I hated that they didn't conduct a coaching search, as well, but can we all leave Patrick Roy's name out of this? He was never going to coach the Sabres. The Avs make a lot more sense for Roy for a ton of reasons.

Roy even stated that his coaching wasn't about the money. Sabres could have offered him 3x the amount of salary and he wouldn't have come here.

I really feel that Regier put feelers out and realized that like UFA, no good candidates were willing to come to Buffalo.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Having heard Kypreos talking about this during his segment on the Fan590 earlier that day. I put little stock I this rumor.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The hockey media sure is drumming up stuff with the Sabres front office. First Ted Black, now Darcy Regier.

I think they are just guessing. Because they probably didn't realize that Black has no say in the on-ice product and yet they mentioned his name first.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It's super easy for the media to toss out a rumor about a GM on the hot seat for a 1-6-1 team that's looked like crap.

It makes NO sense for ownership to be on board with a rebuild then can the GM less than a month into it. It's media rabble rousing, and too many people eat that up.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
It's super easy for the media to toss out a rumor about a GM on the hot seat for a 1-6-1 team that's looked like crap.

It makes NO sense for ownership to be on board with a rebuild then can the GM less than a month into it. It's media rabble rousing, and too many people eat that up.

After all, it is delicious. I prefer my rousing with a nice chianti.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The problem with the timing is that it suggests that Darcy hasn't done enough to win now.

If he were being fired for not moving Vanek and Miller, you do that over the summer. If he were being fired for Leino and other dubious contract moves, you do that at another time.

The strong suggestion with firing him now is that he should've done more to patch together a 9th-12th place roster this year. Signed UFA bandaids, perhaps.

If that's the mandate the next guy comes in with, we're in trouble. If Terry is clear that Darcy was doing the rebuild right insofar as letting the team lose short term, then we're fine. But if that's fine, I don't understand how the early season losses should matter.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Dave Davis ‏@DaveDavisHockey 3m
New from The Sabres Observer, Read what Nick Kypreos said less than an hour ago on Darcy Regier: http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments/kypreos-on-regier-i-never-said-anythings-iminent

Today, however, Kypreos appeared to try to douse the flames of speculation on the Hockey Central At Noon radio show.

"I never said anything's iminent," Kypreos said. "I never said that this is happening. That's an insider that basically talks about things that we're hearing and what's out there. I think that people are under the impression that I was reporting that this was gonna happen, and that was not the case."."

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
"They ultimately will make the change." - Nick Kypreos, 10/15/13

"I never said that this is happening." - Nick Kypreos, 10/16/13

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Here's my take.

If it is because they don't agree with DR's plan for the rebuild, or do not believe he can carry it out, then fine.

If it is change for the sake of change just to placate fans who don't like suffering which would happen under any rebuild, then that's a horrible way to run a franchise.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Well, ultimately Regier will leave the organization. He can't live forever.

This is technically correct. Aka the best kind of correct. :)

This stuff is why I pay almost zero attention to hockey rumors from any source, even the so-called 'real' media folks. They do EXACTLY the same think Ek does; report something under the guise of getting insider knowledge, then when that turns out of be crap, try to cover their tracks by saying 'well that's the chatter we were hearing'.

Unless it comes from Bob McKenzie, I just don't trust it. It's a sad place to be.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

This is exactly correct. Firing Darcy now has no purpose other than to try to placate uninformed fans who don't follow the draft and prospects, and guys like Milbury, who are clowns.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
"Darcy Regier yet again on the hot seat, but I think it's a little bit more legit. Obviously they haven't won a game in 7, they can't score, and I think in a perfect world, the ownership group in Buffalo would have rather have waited up until Christmas. But I'm hearing that the decision could come a lot sooner here and they ultimately will make the change. They're feeling the heat from the fans, that's for sure. Two names that I heard already surfacing, Jason Botterill, whos' assistant general manager in Pitt, and Tom Fitzgerald, whose also there as a player personnel type of guy. Both of these guys have a history who is now the president in Buffalo, Ken Sawyer. "

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Dave Davis ‏@DaveDavisHockey 3m
New from The Sabres Observer, Read what Nick Kypreos said less than an hour ago on Darcy Regier: http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments/kypreos-on-regier-i-never-said-anythings-iminent

qPYWTuH.gif

This is one of the saddest/funniest backpedal jobs by a member of the media in a while.

I can't even imagine the flaming that would be going on if this had been a TBN guy pulling this garbage....

:shakehead

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree, but perhaps they want a different set of eyes on it.

There is a huge difference in getting a new set of eyes on things and changing the driver.

They could get a new set of eyes on things by hiring a "hockey guy" to be Regier's boss and have the new chain of command be Pegula-->Black-->[New guy]-->Regier.

If John Muckler isn't busy, perhaps that's the kind of guy to hire in that role...

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
There is a huge difference in getting a new set of eyes on things and changing the driver.

They could get a new set of eyes on things by hiring a "hockey guy" to be Regier's boss and have the new chain of command be Pegula-->Black-->[New guy]-->Regier.

If John Muckler isn't busy, perhaps that's the kind of guy to hire in that role...

That's the best theory I've seen. They sent out feelings to guys like Botterill and Fitzgerald to be VP of Hockey Operations (Darcy's Boss), not to replace Darcy. That would explain how this got "out" and means Kypreos' sources aren't wrong, but that Kypreos came to the wrong conclusion based on what he heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad