Rumor: Kypreos: Regier on hot seat; well, not really, nothing imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
HC: Regier on hot seat in Buffalo (VIDEO):
John Shannon, Nick Kypreos and Scott Morrison discuss all the news and notes from around the NHL including Buffalo Sabres general manager Darcy Regier being on the hot seat.

Kypreos mentions Jason Botterill and Tom Fitzegrald as rumored replacements, while Morrison adds Rick Dudley.

Edit #1: A Sabres statement to the press says there's "zero truth to the report."

Edit#2: Kypreos says he "never said anything’s imminent":
Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet gave Sabres fans and media plenty to talk about last night with his comments that GM Darcy Regier's long tenure may be coming to an end, going so far as saying the Sabres "ultimately will make the change", probably before Christmas.

Today, however, Kypreos appeared to try to douse the flames of speculation on the Hockey Central At Noon radio show.

"I never said anything's imminent," Kypreos said. "I never said that this is happening. That's an insider that basically talks about things that we're hearing and what's out there. I think that people are under the impression that I was reporting that this was gonna happen, and that was not the case."

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Strong words. Said it "will" happen and heard they are feeling pressure from fans.

Didn't sound like speculation at all but rumors from sources

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Strong words. Said it "will" happen and heard they are feeling pressure from fans.

Didn't sound like speculation at all but rumors from sources

Yup. Didn't think much of it when I saw someone mention it, but after watching the video Kypreos sure made it sound like it's going down and relatively quickly.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It would seem like ownership approved a rebuild and then as soon as the actual stench of a real rebuild started to waft, they panicked...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If they fired regier and ruff at e same time, no problem
If they fired regier at the end of last season and cleaned house completely for a fresh start, no problem
...but firing regier now just reeks of a franchise with no clue

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
Eh, the timing may be a little odd but it's never the wrong decision to remove bad management from any organization/workplace.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If Terry fires Darcy now, he's a bad owner.

The man set a long term plan in motion when he dealt our captain and, at least arguably our best defensemen for futures. That **** wasn't accidental, or just incidental to getting good value (hell, the Sekera trade wasn't even good value).

If Darcy gets canned, that sends the message that Terry didn't agree with the plan, so we pull the chute on that and do what? Go back to trying to fight our way into 9th by signing whoever's left over on the UFA pile come July 5th? Those aren't the guys you build winners around.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Agreed with timing, Black and Pegula basically said they will let him do this rebuild.

IF

they did look to hire someone, Botterill would likely be at the top of my list. I like Kevin Devine but we need someone outside of the organization.

Hextall I think takes over for Holmgren at some point in Philly

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY

The man set a long term plan in motion when he dealt our captain and, at least arguably our best defensemen for futures. That **** wasn't accidental, or just incidental to getting good value (hell, the Sekera trade wasn't even good value).

If Darcy gets canned, that sends the message that Terry didn't agree with the plan, so we pull the chute on that and do what? Go back to trying to fight our way into 9th by signing whoever's left over on the UFA pile come July 5th? Those aren't the guys you build winners around.

It means that they don't have faith that he can pull it off. Watching this bunch you can't really argue that he can.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Who gives a **** if it's "not the right time"?

The right time was YEARS ago.

How do we know that Regier didn't point to the end of last year, after they traded Pommer, and tell Pegula we can be just as good, or better than that stretch?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Who gives a **** if it's "not the right time"?

The right time was YEARS ago.

Because it might reflect that the ownership is going to give up on the rebuild and try to band aid this roster which is pretty much the absolute worst decision they could make

Edit: well, to clarify it's only the absolute worst decision if they start selling off important futures for mediocre "quick fixes"

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

I'm not going to call Pegula a bad owner if he fires Regier. That's a joke. I'd just say he dragged his feet too long. I'm fine with getting a guy like Botteril in here as I think he's an up and comer and a good talent evaluator which will fit in well with the rebuild. As far as their approach to free agency I'd say they'll stay aggressive and continue to make offers to the big time names (likely unsuccessfully) but I think the Leino days are far behind us. Pegula won't allow another debacle like that.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It means that they don't have faith that he can pull it off. Watching this bunch you can't really argue that he can.

The only relevant guys in this group are 18-23. Watching those guys and understanding their development path, you can easily make the argument that he can.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm not going to call Pegula a bad owner if he fires Regier. That's a joke. I'd just say he dragged his feet too long. I'm fine with getting a guy like Botteril in here as I think he's an up and comer and a good talent evaluator which will fit in well with the rebuild. As far as their approach to free agency I'd say they'll stay aggressive and continue to make offers to the big time names (likely unsuccessfully) but I think the Leino days are far behind us. Pegula won't allow another debacle like that.

Please god no. Offering $7.5M per to Shane Doan is not what this franchise needs more of. Not for another four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad