Speculation: Kyle palmieri where’s he going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's the same old shit every trade deadline, it seems like fans value draft picks more than winning. Sometimes it feels like some people would rather draft high than win the cup.
Are joking? If you could gaurentee a Cup, teams would trade multiple first an prospects. It is just that many of the rentals don't get teams nlany nearer to the Cup than they were.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
They wouldn't have to most likely, but apparently the Isles are mulling a package of Palmieri and Kulikov together according to media reports. That likely means a good prospect and a second or maybe a good prospect a meh prospect and a second if NJ takes some salary back?
What media reports would those be? If it’s anyone other than Eklund I’d be inclined to believe you, but I haven’t seen anything about that. Especially with how Lou doesn’t leak anything.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
It's the same old shit every trade deadline, it seems like fans value draft picks more than winning. Sometimes it feels like some people would rather draft high than win the cup.
It’s the same old shit every trade deadline, it seems like fans think an addition for a couple of weeks makes them a cup contender.

The more recent success teams had at the deadline didn’t involve them throwing first rounders and top specs around.

Reactions: PWJunior

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What media reports would those be? If it’s anyone other than Eklund I’d be inclined to believe you, but I haven’t seen anything about that. Especially with how Lou doesn’t leak anything.

It was posted by someone in the NJ board. It's an offshoot of the Dave Pagnotta report. I'm not sure what to think of it since I agree that Lou will shut down a trade if anything leaks. Pagnotta said something to the effect that Boston was interested in a package of both guys and then some other reports added that the Isles, Leafs, and Panthers were interested as well.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
We're apparently on his no-trade list.

Would cost too much anyways, and with Gally doing well with JT and Willy, not really a need.

Hope KD guns for Foligno instead from CBJ.

Agree Foligno would be a great addition. Depends on the price but he would elevate that third line!

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Tampa threw some firsts around. And prospects.
One team in the past how many years? Take the last 10 trade deadlines and the numbers will show it’s less likely to see teams using first rounders/high level specs to acquire players for a cup run.

moreover, it can be strongly argued the Lightning was way further ahead than a team like the islanders currently are.

Reactions: periferal

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
One team in the past how many years? Take the last 10 trade deadlines and the numbers will show it’s less likely to see teams using first rounders/high level specs to acquire players for a cup run.

moreover, it can be strongly argued the Lightning was way further ahead than a team like the islanders currently are.

The cup winner has kept their own 1st round pick four times in the last ten years.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
So, I make the point these teams don’t use first round picks, you chime in and now add that context? Odd approach, because it doesn’t negate what I am saying at all.

They didn't use first round picks? Or they used them a few months earlier? The Caps in 2018 are the only championship team since 2014 to still have their own pick at the subsequent draft.

Plenty of teams in the last 10 years have traded first round picks for rentals. I'm not saying Palmieri is getting a first, but it's wrong to say that hasn't happened recently.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Also feel inevitable that the Soilers bring Hall back, then bow out early again in the playoffs

I can see Palmieri to Boston

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Palmieri may not have the size of a power forward, but he has no fear. He drives hard to the net every game, often taking a huge beating doing so.

It’s one of his best qualities when it comes to being effective, but it’s also taking a toll on his body. Kyle likely has a good 2 or 3 years left in him as a goal scorer, but the way he plays will catch up to him before the Devils are competing for anything.

If the Bruins get him, I’d tell you to be excited. He’s a very good player.
I never denied that. I simply said the Bruins need a better player. Take nothing away from Palmieri....If we needed a second winger he would be fine. I prefer someone else playing with Krejci....

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
They didn't use first round picks? Or they used them a few months earlier? The Caps in 2018 are the only championship team since 2014 to still have their own pick at the subsequent draft.

Plenty of teams in the last 10 years have traded first round picks for rentals. I'm not saying Palmieri is getting a first, but it's wrong to say that hasn't happened recently.
For rentals at the deadline? Cause I just showed a handful of examples where they weren’t used by cup winners at the deadline

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
There's an aversion to rentals generally (I don't have the link to it, but I believe it's Friedman that has said this). The Vatanen trade doesn't help matters; he had a forgettable stint and walked as a UFA.

Turning over the 2nd pairing LD spot to Bean/Fleury/Gardiner when the intent is to seriously compete for the cup is unlikely. He's been a solid partner for Pesce. If for whatever reason Palmieri ends up in Carolina, it will most likely be a futures deal.

who do you have in mind (or what)

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
For rentals at the deadline? Cause I just showed a handful of examples where they weren’t used by cup winners at the deadline

What are you even arguing at this point?

2020 - rental Hall for a 1st round pick ++
2019 - rental Hayes for a 1st round pick +
2018 - rental Stastny for a 1st round pick
2017 - rental Shattenkirk for a 1st round pick +

All these, pure rentals, no trade and signs like Pageau, no players with term like Coleman.

You can say that Palmieri is not worth it, you can say that this year is different because of Covid or the number of sellers vs. number of buyers. But what you absolutely cannot say is that teams in the last 10 years don't spend first round picks on rentals. Yes. They. Do.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
who do you have in mind (or what)

For Palmieri? Maybe Geekie and a 2nd as a it's 2:30 on deadline day and no one is biting on a 1st or equivalent prospect type deal and no one offered the right non-rental the other way. Fitzgerald may want to again look at that Calder Cup winning Charlotte team after how well Kuokkanen has worked out thus far. Geekie is a center prospect with intriguing AHL numbers. I don't see a clear path for him next season; a vet 4C that specializes in something be it grit, PK work or faceoff acumen is more logical given Carolina's stage of the competitive cycle. Geekie would have to convert to wing despite the issue of foot speed or he'd be sitting in the pressbox a bunch later in the season (this is last year of waivers exemption) and into the playoffs. He's a logical trade candidate for Carolina and perhaps an attractive piece for a team that wants mature prospects in the lineup asap.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
What are you even arguing at this point?

2020 - rental Hall for a 1st round pick ++
2019 - rental Hayes for a 1st round pick +
2018 - rental Stastny for a 1st round pick
2017 - rental Shattenkirk for a 1st round pick +

All these, pure rentals, no trade and signs like Pageau, no players with term like Coleman.

You can say that Palmieri is not worth it, you can say that this year is different because of Covid or the number of sellers vs. number of buyers. But what you absolutely cannot say is that teams in the last 10 years don't spend first round picks on rentals. Yes. They. Do.
None of those teams you mentioned won the cup. So, again the argument stands that teams who are winning the cup aren’t using big assets to acquire their help (at the deadline). Outside of the lightning recently who had zero issue throwing their first rounder around because they were clear contenders. No one should be looking for that big key piece at the deadline. Help to put you over the top, sure, but most of the major acquisitions where firsts and big specs are used should be the off season.

I’ve consistently used the phrase cup winners, the context and the topic matter. If you want to weigh in, I welcome it, but at least understand the topics you are trying to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad