Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's always other options - the interesting part is determining if they are better options.
I've come to the conclusion that Maurice is going to leave pcs in place if he can - the Lowry line is the strongest example of this (aside from injuries).

Yeah, I think keeping Ehlers and Laine together is another example. Add Nickels and Wheeler.

But, in the context of getting a more offensive role for Armia, I think he could be used somewhat the same way that Frolik was used. Parachute him onto a line for a while to get it out of a rut, or to add D to a line that may be scoring (or not) but is having trouble in the D zone. I think he could be very good offensively if put in a more offensive role.

It could be done and work well. That doesn't mean keeping him on the shutdown line is a bad idea but the options are viable.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
So now Connor earned his spot on the top line? Based in his AHL numbers?

Connor has been great on the line, for the most part. Lately, he might actually be the best player on that line, but he did nothing to earn it. Earning it is a dumb concept at the pinnacle of the sport anyways. Performance of the team is what matters.

PoMo seems rather confused about the concept of merit. Is there anyone more inconsistent with how he creates his lines? Did Perreault only earn 8-10 minutes a night on the 4th line until injury forced that change?

Until this year, when we didn't have Connor, Roslo, Stastny (& Petan who should be in that group), PoMo made so many bizarre lineup choices. It's rather hard for him to put out a bad lineup right now even if he wanted to. Dressing Hendricks over any of Tanev, Petan, Dano is about the worst thing he can screw up right now. Well that and playing Kulikov on his offside instead of dressing Poolman over Chiapet

I actually quite like how our lines are configured right now and the objective should be team performance and not this merit based system you are talking about. One of the strengths of this team has been spreading the talent throughout the lineup and making our team hard to defend against us and this has clearly been the case. Having Connor on the first line is getting the most out of his scoring abilities right now and it does not seem to be hurting the production of our other offensively gifted players. I also do not support the view that you can simply put a random blender to our lines and get similar results to what we have seen. We are currently third in the league in goals scored and sixth in goals against so the results speak for themselves.
And lastly these arguments for Hendricks not deserving to be in the line up are getting a little old. In addition to the intangibles he brings to the team he is producing at a rate of just under 2 points per game 5v5 so far this year which is a stat we will gladly take for any fourth line player.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
OMG Connor...

Breathe man your on a tear...

Season isn't over yet Kyle...

Stay healthy and hungry...

"Breathe"

(Go on, go on, breathe in)

Eyes on the prize, I know sometimes you might fall on your way
Throw your hands up, ya get down when things don't fall into place
Mad at the world, yeah I've been there before
Lost and confused and thinking that you can't take anymore

No, no, no, don't worry 'bout nothing, oh, it's all gonna be good
Oh whoa whoa whoa you're really something, now didn't cha know that you could?
Don't worry 'bout nothing, worry 'bout nothing, nothing, now it's all gonna be good

So breathe, like you know you should
Yeah, breathe 'til you've understood
Until you're feeling like yourself again
Feel the sunlight on your skin
Keep your heartbeat beatin'
Go on, go on, breathe in

Go on, go on, breathe in
In, out
In, out out out
In, out
Go on, go on, breathe in

Take a look around ya here right now you remember this time
Cause you only got the moment to own it while you're alive
Taking it all in one blink at a time
Just let it be and you will see everything will align

Oh whoa whoa whoa you're really something, now didn't cha know that you could?
Don't worry 'bout nothing, worry 'bout nothing, nothing, now it's all gonna be good

So breathe, like you know you should
Yeah, breathe 'til you've understood
Until you're feeling like yourself again
Feel the sunlight on your skin
Keep your heartbeat beatin'
Go on, go on, breathe in

Go on, go on, breathe in
In, out
In, out out out
In, out
Go on, go on, breathe in

Put some air in your heart and baby just live
Let the moment take you and make you forget
Put some air in your heart and baby just live
Just breathe it in, yeah, breathe again
Just go on, go on, breathe in

Oh, no, no, no, no, no
Breathe in, breathe in, breathe in
Go on, go on, breathe in
In, out
In, out out out
In, out
Go on, go on, breathe in

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aggie204

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
28 goals in his rookie season, with 30+ goals attainable at the end of the regular season. So the question now is what vets do we let go? I consider him a core player now.
I mean, he does have a year of his ELC left... what was the issue again?

Re-evaluation might be in order next year. As of now, no reason to panic.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kyle Connor I think will also quietly do amazing things next season, might also suck for us because we might have to trade him because we might not be able to afford him.

But it's crazy to think about how many thirty-goal scorers we could have on this team, Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele could be there too. Didn't need to include Laine as he's far past that mark.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Kyle Connor I think will also quietly do amazing things next season, might also suck for us because we might have to trade him because we might not be able to afford him.

But it's crazy to think about how many thirty-goal scorers we could have on this team, Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele could be there too. Didn't need to include Laine as he's far past that mark.
Matty P gone before we let KC go

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I would rather ship out/let go of Perreault, Buff and Enstrom before trading away any of our young forwards.

Out of those three, I would hang on to Buff as long as possible though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think of Connor quietly closing in on 30 and contrast it with when EK9 potted 30 for the first time here in Winnipeg at a similar age it seemed like such a big deal.

I always knew he would put up points but it’s the rest of his game away from the puck that has blown away my expectations. When they say draft and DEVELOP the poster boys for the bolded are Scheifele, Connor, and Morrissey the latter two really honing their craft in the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRC and GJF

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I would rather ship out/let go of Perreault, Buff and Enstrom before trading away any of our young forwards.

buff is not going anywhere until retirement.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

This will likely be Enstrom's final season with the team, unless he's willing to sign a super cheap contract and can tolerate being the 7th D and spending most of the season in the pressbox.
Byfuglien will likely retire here, doubt he wants to leave Winnipeg, could actually take the discount after his contract is up. Unless one team is willing to trade for him or sign him to a crazy contract.
Perreault will likely stay for a long time, but I'd also consider keeping him because he's cheap which is good for the cap, unless a young forward takes his spot. But I could see him being a potential player Seattle takes from us in the expansion draft. But I think Comrie will likely become the guy Seattle takes from us.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
KC has been on a tear. Absolutely dominant the past two games. I've seen enough now to go out on a limb and predict that he'll be better than HBA winner Jimmy Vesey.

Reactions: Aggie204

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Does anyone here know if Chevy and his team always had Kyle Connor in mind at 17th pick or would they have picked up Mathew Barzal if the Islanders did not choose him?

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Does anyone here know if Chevy and his team always had Kyle Connor in mind at 17th pick or would they have picked up Mathew Barzal if the Islanders did not choose him?
I doubt anyone here knows that given the hush-hush nature of TNSE. There is never any real insider info into what Chevy is thinking/doing.

It's possible that he still would have taken Connor over Barzal, but we will never know for sure.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Has anyone seen Connor's TV show?

The-Mick.png

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Jets had 2 picks that draft. Ive heard they wanted Connor and even tried to trade up with SJ to grab him.

I also heard they wanted Konecny at 25 but he went a few picks b4

Reactions: mazmin

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
You draft, and develop the young talent.....and you keep them. Those are the guys to build around....for the long term. Some vets will become cap casualties, like Ladd (money going towards re-upping the Chief)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm really not sure why people are all in a rush to get rid of our vets before we need to.

There is a time for us to turn over our lineup and I think Chevy has a pretty cogent master plan to achieve that. Last year was a prime example - the team purposefully went younger in order to get our prospects experience. When the time comes, and guys like Schiefele and Lowry are considered the vets, we will probably move on from Little, and Wheeler. Same with Morrissey maturing enough for us to move on from Byfuglien (though I worry about our D pipeline right now.)

Having Perreault and Little in the lineup does not diminish Connor and Ehlers, Roslovic etc. It enhances them by providing veteran support, mentors and established players to take a higher QoC.

When the time comes, I highly doubt Cheveldayoff is going to let a guy like Connor go if it's the only way to keep a guy like Bryan Little.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
buff is not going anywhere until retirement.
He said what he'd rather see not what will happen. Just like wheeler will retire as a jet no matter how that affects the cap. Wheelers pass to chef last night was so sick.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Would love to see a gif of the sequence last night were Connor dangled with the puck, and toyed with the Ducks for a bit. Thought had he scored at the end of it, had highlight of the year potential.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm really not sure why people are all in a rush to get rid of our vets before we need to.

There is a time for us to turn over our lineup and I think Chevy has a pretty cogent master plan to achieve that. Last year was a prime example - the team purposefully went younger in order to get our prospects experience. When the time comes, and guys like Schiefele and Lowry are considered the vets, we will probably move on from Little, and Wheeler. Same with Morrissey maturing enough for us to move on from Byfuglien (though I worry about our D pipeline right now.)

Having Perreault and Little in the lineup does not diminish Connor and Ehlers, Roslovic etc. It enhances them by providing veteran support, mentors and established players to take a higher QoC.

When the time comes, I highly doubt Cheveldayoff is going to let a guy like Connor go if it's the only way to keep a guy like Bryan Little.

Yea 100% agree. When contracts are built Simmons and Chevy are looking at all variables and they will know what they need to get done. There is a clear reason why Little's movement restrictions changed after two seasons of his new deal. Same as Buff there was a plan when he made more money but it was over 5 seasons and the contract transitioned from No Move Clause to Modified No Trade clause in year 3 (next season). I don't lose any sleep at night wondering how this is going to play out. Sacrifices will happen when the situation calls for it. We are entering the stage where we will be a cap team now and it will become a very important thing to manage well.

As a fan I am looking forward to this next phase.

Reactions: Jet

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Kyle Connor has been looking so fast lately -hanging on to the puck in the offensive zone with confidence, and really showing his speed.

He has those "magic hands" and is a big difference maker" for the Jets. I can see this guy producing some 50 goal seasons. He really is -the best in close, of all the Jets, as he can really pick corners--a master technician, that will only get better.

I haven't seen him fire any goals from 25 or 30 feet out, but hopefully we'll see that as well. This guy will play a "huge role" in the Jet's future. I love to watch Connor and Ehlers play. He's almost as fast as Ehlers as well.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Kyle Connor has been looking so fast lately -hanging on to the puck in the offensive zone with confidence, and really showing his speed.

He has those "magic hands" and is a big difference maker" for the Jets. I can see this guy producing some 50 goal seasons. He has his own way - best in close, of all the Jets, as he can really pick corners--a master technician, that will only get better.

I haven't seen him fire any goals from 25 or 30 feet out, but hopefully we'll see that as well. This guy will play a "huge role" in the Jet's future. I love to watch Connor and Ehlers play. He's almost as fast as Ehlers as well.
I'm as big of a Connor booster as you'll find, but "some 50 goals seasons" is a ridiculous ask. There are two active players with more than a single 50 goal season. Ovi and Stammer. Stammer has only done it twice.

Laine might do it, but it is rare.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm as big of a Connor booster as you'll find, but "some 50 goals seasons" is a ridiculous ask. There are two active players with more than a single 50 goal season. Ovi and Stammer. Stammer has only done it twice.

Laine might do it, but it is rare.

Well--he'll likely get about 32 goals this year, and that's with missing the first 7 games.

I'm almost sure he'll have 40 goal seasons, and a couple 50 goal seasons wouldn't surprise me--"this guy has scoring touch." Either way, we have a winner here !!!

Reactions: boydkc

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Well--he'll likely get about 32 goals this year, and that's with missing the first 7 games.

I'm almost sure he'll have 40 goal seasons, and a couple 50 goal seasons wouldn't surprise me--"this guy has scoring touch." Either way, we have a winner here !!!
Only 5 active players have a single 50 goal season on their resume.
Ovi x 7
Stammer x 2
Crosby x 1
Malkin x 1
Perry x 1

Only 9 active players have multiple 40 goals seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad