Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
While I agree that he should stay, I have little faith that Mo is on the same page. We've seen Maurice park Perreault on the 4th line rather than eating into Lowry's ice time and I wouldn't be shocked to see it again.
Perreault should be on 3LW. That doesn't affect Lowry's ice-time, and might bring a bit of spark to the 3rd line.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Connor has looked good since his return to the lineup. Definitely a difference in his forechecking and ability to support the puck carrier off of rushes, and he's actively involved and reading plays well while using his speed to his advantage. Had he done this in pre-season he would have been in our top 6 from the get go I think. I don't see any logic in sending him back down once Perreault returns or demoting him in the lineup when he seems to have good chemistry out there with Scheif and Wheeler and the Little line seems to still be improving. Kyle Connor is here to stay.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
What does Lowry's ice time have to do with Connor?

IIRC machoo on the 4th line had to do with limiting his minutes immediately after returning from injury. Did it even last a full game?

I don't think it did. It was literally 2 periods directly after he returned from an injury.

Connor isn't going anywhere. He's gonna be collecting NHL paychecks from now on. His offensive zone play and forechecking have been excellent.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Connor has looked good since his return to the lineup. Definitely a difference in his forechecking and ability to support the puck carrier off of rushes, and he's actively involved and reading plays well while using his speed to his advantage. Had he done this in pre-season he would have been in our top 6 from the get go I think. I don't see any logic in sending him back down once Perreault returns or demoting him in the lineup when he seems to have good chemistry out there with Scheif and Wheeler and the Little line seems to still be improving. Kyle Connor is here to stay.
He should've been in the top-6 out of training camp, regardless. I think he showed enough, and his play last year demonstrated that he's definitely beyond the AHL. If the Jets had a glut of wingers that were tearing it up in pre-season, then maybe it would have been a close call, but they didn't. I'm pretty sure the extra 4 games in the AHL isn't what converted him into a bona fide NHL winger.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Connor better stay up !!! and play in the "top 6"- I've been saying this as of Day 1 of the first game of the regular season. This guy is very talented, and should "never" have been sent down to begin with. He's at least a 50 point achiever ( minimum) and he's nearly as good as Ehlers, and is very fast. We don't know what his ceiling is ??? I think next year he could well match Sheif and Ehlers in point production.

Don't forget that Connor broke Jack Eichel's records for most points ever from an American college student, and still holds this record over and above any other player in US college history, and I believe that includes Austin Mathews. He's not only a "sniper" put a great play maker, and can do all.

If he is sent back down, there is something "very wrong" with coaching and management. He looks fine on the defense side of the game as well. Connor is one of the keys to the Jet's making a deep run in the playoffs. Last 2 games- 2 points, and one of which was a gorgeous set up pass to Wheeler to win the game against Minnesota.

I think he just may prove to be a lot better than Perrault this year. Keep him up !!!

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He should've been in the top-6 out of training camp, regardless. I think he showed enough, and his play last year demonstrated that he's definitely beyond the AHL. If the Jets had a glut of wingers that were tearing it up in pre-season, then maybe it would have been a close call, but they didn't. I'm pretty sure the extra 4 games in the AHL isn't what converted him into a bona fide NHL winger.

It shouldn't have been the extra 4 games, but maybe it was the kick in the ass he needed to step his game up to his best effort. He wasn't any better than the rest of our players fighting for spots which is why getting top minutes in the AHL made more sense then bottom minutes in the NHL.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
What does Lowry's ice time have to do with Connor?

IIRC machoo on the 4th line had to do with limiting his minutes immediately after returning from injury. Did it even last a full game?
The comment wasn't specifically about Lowry's impact on Connor's ice time. It was about me not trusting Maurice to dress three scoring lines - especially if it means he has to bump Lowry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Board Bard

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Mo

The comment wasn't specifically about Lowry's impact on Connor's ice time. It was about me not trusting Maurice to dress three scoring lines - especially if it means he has to bump Lowry.

OK gotcha

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He's a very good player. He was a very good player last season when he returned from the AHL. I think he should be a mainstay in our top 6, and I think he's a good enough complimentary player today that we can have a good top 9 when Lowry and Perreault return, by letting Connor stay in the top 6.

Reactions: GNP and Duke749

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I think Connor could be the lynch pin to this season. If he can be an effective top six player it really opens up the possibilities. Drop MP to the third line with Lowry and Petan and you have three proper lines. Then all our fourth liners can actually be fourth liners. I don’t really care who they are. Even Jimi Hendrix is fine for maurice’s 7 minutes a game strategy. The AHL level players can go back where they belong.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Connor could be the lynch pin to this season. If he can be an effective top six player it really opens up the possibilities. Drop MP to the third line with Lowry and Petan and you have three proper lines. Then all our fourth liners can actually be fourth liners. I don’t really care who they are. Even Jimi Hendrix is fine for maurice’s 7 minutes a game strategy. The AHL level players can go back where they belong.
Connor in the top six and Perreault on the third line should have been an easy call since before training camp. Maurice has been a bit slow to catch on, but I hope he sees the logic of this when Perreault returns.

Reactions: MardyBum

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He's a very good player. He was a very good player last season when he returned from the AHL. I think he should be a mainstay in our top 6, and I think he's a good enough complimentary player today that we can have a good top 9 when Lowry and Perreault return, by letting Connor stay in the top 6.

Connor in the top six and Perreault on the third line should have been an easy call since before training camp. Maurice has been a bit slow to catch on, but I hope he sees the logic of this when Perreault returns.

Yea at the end of the day it is critical we leave Connor in the top 6 and put MP and Lowry together on the 3rd line and it would be nice if they could add a finisher like Roslovic but I don’t want to get too greedy. That would actually be 3rd line that could get points. Then Maurice gets his 3-5 minute per night throw away line with Tanev Hendricks as the 4th unit grit and glue it up.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yea at the end of the day it is critical we leave Connor in the top 6 and put MP and Lowry together on the 3rd line and it would be nice if they could add a finisher like Roslovic but I don’t want to get too greedy. That would actually be 3rd line that could get points. Then Maurice gets his 3-5 minute per night throw away line with Tanev Hendricks as the 4th unit grit and glue it up.
When Perreault is healthy, whoever is playing on the 3rd line will have to lug Tanev or Hendrick on it. No doubt in my mind

Reactions: Board Bard

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
MP Roslo Armia
Copp Lowry Matthias[/QUOTE

I like this lineup a lot !!! Why not give Roslo a chance at 3-rd center, most of our other young guys are working out great. 3 potent lines that can score is the "answer"

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Would like to see him use his speed more to make clean zone entries, like Ehlers does. Especially in PP. He definitely has the skating to do it

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
He is kind of like if James Neal was a really good skater. His main talent seems to be scoring goals, good hands and a good release.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Funny how some guys get the love, while others get piled on. KC has a bright future here, but he's got a long way to go. He'll need to be better on the boards, better in the battles. He's putting up some points, but there's been so many missed opportunities. He should have more.

Reactions: Flair Hay

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Funny how some guys get the love, while others get piled on. KC has a bright future here, but he's got a long way to go. He'll need to be better on the boards, better in the battles. He's putting up some points, but there's been so many missed opportunities. He should have more.

Every player has their strengths and weaknesses especially when they are a rookie. People are glad and relieved Connor has arrived and can contribute in the top 6 so he is in the honeymoon stage with our fan base. This too will pass :nod:. I like that he has added speed/pressure defense to his game especially in the attack zone and he gets back well on the check. I will be patient with the other elements that need work since he is 9 games into this season and light years ahead of where he was at this time last year. Scheifele lost every board battle and couldn't stand up at Connor's age and look at him now. I am well aware Connor is playing with two of the best players in the league but he is complementing them and chipping in and that bodes well for us.

Reactions: GNP

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Every player has their strengths and weaknesses especially when they are a rookie. People are glad and relieved Connor has arrived and can contribute in the top 6 so he is in the honeymoon stage with our fan base. This too will pass :nod:. I like that he has added speed/pressure defense to his game especially in the attack zone and he gets back well on the check. I will be patient with the other elements that need work since he is 9 games into this season and light years ahead of where he was at this time last year. Scheifele lost every board battle and couldn't stand up at Connor's age and look at him now. I am well aware Connor is playing with two of the best players in the league but he is complementing them and chipping in and that bodes well for us.
I agree with everything you've said, but he's got the cushiest position in the NHL and has one more goal than Tanev. He'll need to do much more.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree with everything you've said, but he's got the cushiest position in the NHL and has one more goal than Tanev. He'll need to do much more.

What do you expect here ??? Cat ?- Connor has played 9 games and has 7 points, and is in his first year. That's a hell of a pace for a rookie, and he may win the Calder. There's a reason why he has a cushy position, and that's because they want to "ensure" his confidence is built up, and not destoyed -"same thing they did with Ehlers.

I agree with PS-241- they are handling Connor perfectly, and he just might win the Calder trophy. He has only played "9 games", and Tanev has played "14 games." If Connor had played in all 14 games he'd have 11 or 12 points. ( better than most guys)

When you say -"he'll need to do much more"--I really have to wonder how much more the kid can do ??? he's close to averaging a point per "game played" I mean you really cannot get much better than that !!!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Last few seasons he moved into his new league he has taken a bit of time to adjust then gone off in the second half of the season. Up to this point I think he has been deferring on his shot a bit but my sense is he will start to assert himself more as he gets comfortable. The thing I will be watching most closely is when he gets moved to other lines how he continues to grow his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad