Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why is having your veteran center desiring to be a mentor to youth a bad thing exactly? I think your focus is too many row. We need both Laine and Connor to continue to develop and I fail to see how Little's experience can't benefit both of them even if it isn't evident in tonight's game.

I don't expect this line to stay intact for the next six years but while it is together the young guys need to "go to school"

Where do you see any of that in what I posted?

I said having 2 inexperienced young players on the same line as your veteran C is too big a load. Nothing wrong with 1 of them. Him wanting to mentor is a positive but I take that for granted from a player like Little.

No idea what the bolded means. I assume it is a typo.

The young guys need to "go to school" regardless of who they line up with.

I have been in favour of Connor with Little since early in TC - with Wheeler on the other wing.

I have never liked Little and Laine together. I have no idea why but they don't seem to mesh. Maybe Laine is 'going to school' and will suddenly hit his stride with Little but so far he looks a bit lost.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Where do you see any of that in what I posted?

I said having 2 inexperienced young players on the same line as your veteran C is too big a load. Nothing wrong with 1 of them. Him wanting to mentor is a positive but I take that for granted from a player like Little.

No idea what the bolded means. I assume it is a typo.

The young guys need to "go to school" regardless of who they line up with.

I have been in favour of Connor with Little since early in TC - with Wheeler on the other wing.

I have never liked Little and Laine together. I have no idea why but they don't seem to mesh. Maybe Laine is 'going to school' and will suddenly hit his stride with Little but so far he looks a bit lost.

That bolded was a bad iPhone autocorrect. I meant to say your focus is too narrow.

My point is that Little is the better "teacher" right now

You are looking for results right now. Perhaps you should be thinking about what produces the best results down the road. And Little's mentirship might be a big part of that.

That was my point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That bolded was a bad iPhone autocorrect. I meant to say your focus is too narrow.

My point is that Little is the better "teacher" right now

You are looking for results right now. Perhaps you should be thinking about what produces the best results down the road. And Little's mentirship might be a big part of that.

That was my point.

I admitted at the start that I have a bias here in favour of Wheeler with Little. That doesn't mean I don't value mentorship, from Little or anyone else in a position to provide it. I wouldn't like Connor and Laine with Scheifele either. I don't see Little as a problem. I see Connor and Laine together as a problem.

This year is supposed to be about results. Last year was development. Maybe that change is premature. Maybe we need another development year. Maybe those bottom 6 players are not as good as we thought and we need a personnel upgrade before we can compete. But apparently this year is supposed to be about results so yes, I am looking for results now. If we fall out of the playoff race it will be back to development.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I admitted at the start that I have a bias here in favour of Wheeler with Little. That doesn't mean I don't value mentorship, from Little or anyone else in a position to provide it. I wouldn't like Connor and Laine with Scheifele either. I don't see Little as a problem. I see Connor and Laine together as a problem.

This year is supposed to be about results. Last year was development. Maybe that change is premature. Maybe we need another development year. Maybe those bottom 6 players are not as good as we thought and we need a personnel upgrade before we can compete. But apparently this year is supposed to be about results so yes, I am looking for results now. If we fall out of the playoff race it will be back to development.

That's fine. I just don't think having Little play with those two is as bad as you make it out to be. I think it's a good thing right now

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's fine. I just don't think having Little play with those two is as bad as you make it out to be. I think it's a good thing right now

Well, we will see. I'd like to be more positive but since I don't like Little and Laine together I find it hard to see that getting better by adding Connor - could happen though. Like I said before, maybe Laine attracts enough attention to give both Little and Connor some more room.

If you want to take a longer view and make developing Connor more important than short term results, it still favours putting Wheeler on the other wing. Then both can mentor Connor without having to mentor Laine at the same time.

I will still hope it works well. Time for Laine to bust out with a hatty. Connor with a goal too and Little can have lots of A's.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Well, we will see. I'd like to be more positive but since I don't like Little and Laine together I find it hard to see that getting better by adding Connor - could happen though. Like I said before, maybe Laine attracts enough attention to give both Little and Connor some more room.

If you want to take a longer view and make developing Connor more important than short term results, it still favours putting Wheeler on the other wing. Then both can mentor Connor without having to mentor Laine at the same time.

I will still hope it works well. Time for Laine to bust out with a hatty. Connor with a goal too and Little can have lots of A's.

Leaving the ESW line intact does have one advantage. It leaves them to play the toughest minutes and somewhat shelter the Little line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Leaving the ESW line intact does have one advantage. It leaves them to play the toughest minutes and somewhat shelter the Little line.

True.
Other than the Oilers game that doesn't seem to be working out too well so far. Wheeler has not been good. With ESW taking the tougher minutes PLL should have been scoring more, 5v5.

Its still early season. I'm hoping that PMo's lineup comes together but it needs to happen soon. It is already being disrupted by injury. Will we see the cobbled together because of injury lineup outperform Maurice's preferred lineup?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
True.
Other than the Oilers game that doesn't seem to be working out too well so far. Wheeler has not been good. With ESW taking the tougher minutes PLL should have been scoring more, 5v5.

Its still early season. I'm hoping that PMo's lineup comes together but it needs to happen soon. It is already being disrupted by injury. Will we see the cobbled together because of injury lineup outperform Maurice's preferred lineup?

???? Connor hasn't played yet. We don't know how it will work.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
???? Connor hasn't played yet. We don't know how it will work.

You said keeping ESW together allows them to take the tougher minutes. I agreed.
ESW has been together for all 5 games. That doesn't seem to be helping get results out of PLL. Will it work better for CLL? We'll see. But why would it work better for CLL than it has for PLL?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You said keeping ESW together allows them to take the tougher minutes. I agreed.
ESW has been together for all 5 games. That doesn't seem to be helping get results out of PLL. Will it work better for CLL? We'll see. But why would it work better for CLL than it has for PLL?

Well you mentioned it hasn't worked so far but didn't Bryan Little score last game?

But what I was getting at is they weren't as concerned sheltering Perreault as they would be Connor. I think this line is a perfect starting point for him. They may change things up ofter the 5 day break

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
It's interesting how many posters are against Connor playing with Little and Laine without actually seeing them play together in a few games to give us all a decent sample.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

In the 45 minutes they spent together this short season, Perreault-Little-Laine have 57.4 xGF% and a 4-1 goal differential. They've been the ones getting the results.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

I feel like Scheifele line will always get the hard minutes, no matter who the wingers are. He is like the Crosby of Jets

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well you mentioned it hasn't worked so far but didn't Bryan Little score last game?

But what I was getting at is they weren't as concerned sheltering Perreault as they would be Connor. I think this line is a perfect starting point for him. They may change things up ofter the 5 day break

1 goal is a pretty small sample size. :laugh:

You could be right that the ESW line gets used differently with Connor on the Little line.

The Little line should be a good place for him to start. Perfect is maybe a bit much. I think it would be closer to perfection if Wheeler was on the other wing. We can agree to disagree on that.

Still .... I'm looking forward to seeing him with Little and Laine tonight.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In the 45 minutes they spent together this short season, Perreault-Little-Laine have 57.4 xGF% and a 4-1 goal differential. They've been the ones getting the results.

That's interesting. It hasn't looked that way to me. Laine in particular has looked a bit lost to me at times. No, that isn't it exactly either. I see him playing well much of the time as an individual. I have been impressed by the improvement I have seen over last year. I'm not seeing that line meshing. That is a very vague way to put it but I don't see them working off each other. It is that sense of them leaving me wanting more. I can't pin it down any better than that.

Our top 6 scorers are E, S, W, Laine, Little, P. That includes PP. It is what you would expect of the top 2 lines. Ehlers has 5 of our 16 goals. Scheifele and Wheeler have been assisting on those. I guess 4 goals in 5 games from a 2nd line is not bad.

Maybe they have been better than I am giving them credit for.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It's interesting how many posters are against Connor playing with Little and Laine without actually seeing them play together in a few games to give us all a decent sample.

Seems illogical? ;)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KC sure d idn't look out of place tonight did he?
Great pass to Wheeler for the game winner and had lots of good opportunities.
I like him playing with Scheif.

Reactions: RRenegade

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Fingers crossed that the men in charge see the light. They should keep this kid around when Perrault gets back.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No way Connor ever goes back to the Moose. I expect him to be a high scoring fixture in our top 6. He now allows us to start building a decent 3rd line when MP returns.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No way Connor ever goes back to the Moose. I expect him to be a high scoring fixture in our top 6. He now allows us to start building a decent 3rd line when MP returns.

Yeah if we can get an effective third line it makes thi ga so much easier.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
While I agree that he should stay, I have little faith that Mo is on the same page. We've seen Maurice park Perreault on the 4th line rather than eating into Lowry's ice time and I wouldn't be shocked to see it again.

Reactions: Board Bard

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
While I agree that he should stay, I have little faith that Mo is on the same page. We've seen Maurice park Perreault on the 4th line rather than eating into Lowry's ice time and I wouldn't be shocked to see it again.

What does Lowry's ice time have to do with Connor?

IIRC machoo on the 4th line had to do with limiting his minutes immediately after returning from injury. Did it even last a full game?

Reactions: Dayofthedogs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad