Player Discussion: Kyle Connor is a machine.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Sorry I can't help you with that. Good luck with your search. I'd expect Connor to do better than you expect. IMO he is one of the least appreciated players on the team, which is a damn shame considering how creative he is around the net.

Farm Boy is good!!!
We also got lucky with him falling that far.

Jets had 2 lucky coins. Back to back years!

Reactions: Halberdier and GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Expectations for him this year?

was just perusing some stats from last year

KC finished tops on the team in 5v5 goals scored and efficiency (per toi). 2nd in PP Goals scored and efficiency (despite finishing 4th in shot attempts).

finished 7th in the NHL in goals, and 15th in points. has been pretty consistent in shots/chance rates and SH% over the past 3 seasons.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

KC finished tops on the team in 5v5 goals scored and efficiency (per toi). 2nd in PP Goals scored and efficiency (despite finishing 4th in shot attempts).

finished 7th in the NHL in goals, and 15th in points. has been pretty consistent in shots/chance rates and SH% over the past 3 seasons.

Thanks for the numbers -- very impressive.

Like the thread title says, he's a machine. His scoring numbers have pretty consistent since he started getting top line and then PP1 TOI, and that consistency is one of his best qualities, IMO. I expect him to pace his last year's results, or slightly outpace them. and maybe see some improvements in his own zone in terms of takeaways and exits, and through the middle of the ice as a puck carrier and distributor.

I'm definitely guilty of taking his scoring a bit for granted by now, but it's worth noting how few players do what he's been doing for years now, while staying relatively under the radar. He's a legit weapon with room to grow out his game, and under a reasonable contract for a good part of it. That's a good news story even in 2020.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I expect more of the same - hope to see his defensive numbers improve and expect that will come through a combo of his growth and a better blueline.
Very low profile guy that is driving very nice numbers and making the best of his top line opportunity.
We are very lucky to have him tied up for the next several years -
7th in goals? Wow.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I expect him prorate to in around a 35 - 35 type season offensively. Where i hope to see some improvement is in his ability to drive play through the nz and I expect some improvement in his dzone play.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I expect more of the same - hope to see his defensive numbers improve and expect that will come through a combo of his growth and a better blueline.
Very low profile guy that is driving very nice numbers and making the best of his top line opportunity.
We are very lucky to have him tied up for the next several years -
7th in goals? Wow.
he's steadily improved his offensive totals each year. i think we should start asking what his ceiling is. he is not a focal point of the PP but still puts up solid point totals.

i think he'll lead this team in goals and points again. 25 goals 60 pts ill say

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
he's steadily improved his offensive totals each year. i think we should start asking what his ceiling is. he is not a focal point of the PP but still puts up solid point totals.

I think he'll lead this team in goals and points again. 25 goals 60 pts ill say

If the PP1 system / design were to change, assuming he's still on it, I can see more production there - the nine he scored LY were based on picking up scraps in front / beside the net.
I have no idea what his ceiling is - as you noted, his product has increased year over year after his first whole season. It will depend on who he's playing to an extent - which leads me to the "side note" below

As a side note, if / when Perfetti makes his way into the top 6, I'd love to see him paired up with KC to test out that combination - that could be a very dangerous pair with Perfetti's vision and KC's finish.
Both are smart, creative players that would likely be a ton of fun to watch.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If the PP1 system / design were to change, assuming he's still on it, I can see more production there - the nine he scored LY were based on picking up scraps in front / beside the net.
I have no idea what his ceiling is - as you noted, his product has increased year over year after his first whole season. It will depend on who he's playing to an extent - which leads me to the "side note" below

As a side note, if / when Perfetti makes his way into the top 6, I'd love to see him paired up with KC to test out that combination - that could be a very dangerous pair with Perfetti's vision and KC's finish.
Both are smart, creative players that would likely be a ton of fun to watch.

he's really good around the net. slick hands, as every1 knows. he can get shots off effectively and consistently from high danger areas and is money off the rush too. I can see him maintaining his SH% given these abilities, and his shot quality.

his defensive game needs to improve though. no one is expecting him to be a stalwart to the likes of Stone or Marchand etc. but just average would likely be good enough.

7m is a fair deal for what he brings imo.

when perfetti develops into a top 6er i can see him and KC being a solid duo.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
My hot take for years has been Connor pots 50 once and Laine never does.
idk if this is considered as a real hot take anymore, not sure about the never part for Laine, but i would not be surprised if KC does first.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
he's really good around the net. slick hands, as every1 knows. he can get shots off effectively and consistently from high danger areas and is money off the rush too. I can see him maintaining his SH% given these abilities, and his shot quality.

his defensive game needs to improve though. no one is expecting him to be a stalwart to the likes of Stone or Marchand etc. but just average would likely be good enough.

7m is a fair deal for what he brings imo.

when perfetti develops into a top 6er i can see him and KC being a solid duo.

Has the obvious "Con-Fetti" couple name been pointed out yet?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Not a 5 minute major, not a single question from the press to Maurice in the post game interview, not a word from player safety and basically zero posts from fans in Winnipeg or Calgary regarding the Hanifin hit on Connor.

Button & Dutchyshen of TSN say it's suspendable & deserves review from Player Safety.

Where's the outrage Winnipeg? Jets win in OT & all is forgiven after yet another reckless play on our players by a member of the Flames? After what happened in the play-in round?

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.15.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.15.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.15.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.15.53 PM.png

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not a 5 minute major, not a single question from the press to Maurice in the post game interview, not a word from player satay and basically zero posts from fans in Winnipeg or Calgary regarding the Hanifin hit on Connor.

Button & Dutchyshen of TSN say it's suspendable & deserves review from Player Safety.

Where's the outrage Winnipeg? Jets win in OT & all is forgiven after yet another reckless play on our players by a member of the Flames? After what happened in the play-in round?

View attachment 384688 View attachment 384689 View attachment 384690 View attachment 384691
Looks like Laine was the only one that cared...

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not a 5 minute major, not a single question from the press to Maurice in the post game interview, not a word from player satay and basically zero posts from fans in Winnipeg or Calgary regarding the Hanifin hit on Connor.

View attachment 384688 View attachment 384689 View attachment 384690 View attachment 384691
Bah we're just used to getting shafted by refs and player safety

Watch: Furious Paul Maurice tossed from Jets-Lightning game - Sportsnet.ca

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Not a 5 minute major, not a single question from the press to Maurice in the post game interview, not a word from player safety and basically zero posts from fans in Winnipeg or Calgary regarding the Hanifin hit on Connor.

If there were fans in the stands there would have been reaction enough to draw attention from Safety

Reactions: WolfHouse

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

The Flames are so dirty that playing them four times scares me.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So many years of Kane/Burmi/Antropov being lazy mouthy divers then calls just because Buff was big... we are conditioned.

Loved Laine's response. The refs noticed and its on Calgary's tab...

Reactions: DRC

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

The kid doesn't get much attention - from the press, the league or Jet fans for that matter despite his numbers over the years - most will bring up his D stats more so than his scoreboard numbers, including Jet fans - I find that strange as a big KC fan but you get used to it.
Keep in mind, he tallied 3 pts last night too - but very little was said about it. A beauty of a stretch pass to send Patty in alone on his first goal and I don't think it was mentioned in 21 pages of post game discussion.

He's a low profile star and he'll likely always be over shadowed by the bigger personalities - and he'd probably prefer it that way. I'm here to pump his tires when I get a chance - someone has to (or should).

As for the hit, dirty as they get and should be at least a game. Nice to see Laine back him up - and nice to see KC acknowledge his respect for Laine as a player and a team mate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad