Confirmed with Link: Kuznetzov (50%) for 2025 3rd

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Nice side benefit though is another Russian on the team to help sell to Nikishin to come over...

There was a time we avoided Russian players like the plague. We rarely had more than 1 on the team or in prospects... it was more a coincidence that the pro player we traded for just happened to be from there. Now we seem to have drafted a ton from there and added a few pro players via UFA and trades... Finns and Russians making up a bigger chunk if the team than Canadians :) love that the game is so global and reflected in our NHL roster as well.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Nice side benefit though is another Russian on the team to help sell to Nikishin to come over...

There was a time we avoided Russian players like the plague. We rarely had more than 1 on the team or in prospects... it was more a coincidence that the pro player we traded for just happened to be from there. Now we seem to have drafted a ton from there and added a few pro players via UFA and trades... Finns and Russians making up a bigger chunk if the team than Canadians :) love that the game is so global and reflected in our NHL roster as well.
At the time it was said that was a Jim Rutherford thing...never understood why.....guess it was all about them good ole Canadian boyz

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

Very solid US defense, Fin and Russian heavy forward line

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Very solid US defense, Fin and Russian heavy forward line
We aren’t heavy with Russians at any position but, maybe team aggregate though

D
4 Americans, 1 Russian, 1 Canadian

F
3 Americans
3 Finns
3 Canadians
2 Russians
1 Swede
1 Czech

G
1 Russian, 1 Dane, 1 Canadian

OA:
7 Americans
5 Canadians
4 Russians
3 Finns
1 Swede
1 Dane
1 Czech

Our extras are 1 American, 1 finn, and 1 Canadian

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

As an American I root for our guys in international competitions, but as a Canes fan I actually much prefer players from outside North America. 2 reasons:

1. They seem to play, on the aggregate, a more creative game that is more enjoyable to watch to me, along with being effective.

2. I think there is A TON of slight bias towards North American players throughout the league, from HCs, GMs, scouts, media, etc. Meaning, on the aggregate, there is a market inefficiency here that you can capitalize on going after players who aren't from North America. They'll be cheaper to acquire and get cheaper contracts overall, and less likely to win major awards that boost their value.

Bonus: Of course there are exceptions but they seem to have more personality and be more interesting to follow. Of course Martinook and Jarvis are as charismatic and awesome as they get but I love our Finns, Svech, Koochie, etc. Necas too, like his patiently waiting post, can't see McDavid or Matthews doing something hilarious like that.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
As an American I root for our guys in international competitions, but as a Canes fan I actually much prefer players from outside North America. 2 reasons:

1. They seem to play, on the aggregate, a more creative game that is more enjoyable to watch to me, along with being effective.

2. I think there is A TON of slight bias towards North American players throughout the league, from HCs, GMs, scouts, media, etc. Meaning, on the aggregate, there is a market inefficiency here that you can capitalize on going after players who aren't from North America. They'll be cheaper to acquire and get cheaper contracts overall, and less likely to win major awards that boost their value.

Bonus: Of course there are exceptions but they seem to have more personality and be more interesting to follow. Of course Martinook and Jarvis are as charismatic and awesome as they get but I love our Finns, Svech, Koochie, etc. Necas too, like his patiently waiting post, can't see McDavid or Matthews doing something hilarious like that.
The personality thing is an individual thing. Freddy and Fast are about as dry and boring an interview as a human being can be and still be alive.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The personality thing is an individual thing. Freddy and Fast are about as dry and boring an interview as a human being can be and still be alive.
Yes of course, I didn't phrase it the best way. I think the foreigners being from such very different cultures make them more interesting to me as an American even if they are otherwise "boring." Aho and Turbo are probably pretty normal/boring to Finns and comparable to just normal Americans or Canadians to us, but I love watching their interviews and off ice stuff more than I would your average normal/boring NA hockey player.

Reactions: Derailed75

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I suppose the burden of having to operate in a foreign language could make otherwise normal people appear a bit special. They could seem taciturn, or hilariously blunt, or "no filter-y," because they don't have the linguistic wherewithal to be their cagey, conformist true selves.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Signing Tverdovsky had a huge impact on the Hurricanes organization as it lead to him being traded to LA for Tim Gleason and Canes legend Eric Belanger.

Reactions: hockeynjune

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Tverdovsky was the highest rated free agent in nhl 2k5 which I played the shit out of in my college dorm room and when the canes acquired him I cackled like a madman

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He was the 2001 15th overall pick of the Canes. Came to America, was awful in the AHL and went back to Russia. JR never drafted another Russian (for the Canes at least). He did continue to swing and miss at defenseman though, I had that one wrong.
It was TD that said something about not drafting defenseman in the first round. “You can always buy defense”.

Igor was a massive disappointment. Back then you didn’t get fed highlights of players from across the sea to build up false hopes. You imagined your own.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad