News Article: Kuznetsov Banned by IIHF for 4 years - Cocaine found in probe/Upd: Suspended 1st 3 gms of '19 season

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Not surprised, and I have a feeling it was a deal made. We give you 3 games for lying and we don’t get aggressive on changing policy on drugs. Allow the NHLPA and league work it out without this being an immediate hit topic.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Heh, called it. Nothing to do with drug treatment vs punishment, everything to with the "conduct detrimental to the league" clause.

But you know what, it's fine. Let him do the time and not fight it. Makes his apologies seem more sincere.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m less concerned about his point totals which are still at a good 1C level and more concerned about him being a 200 foot player. He can’t have another year defensively like he did last year (literally one of the worst ever).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let’s crawl before walking.

I personally don’t expect another Conn Smythe-worthy postseason from him ever again. Hard to do.

Really. The hardest part of that by far is winning the cup. The performance quality shouldn't be that out of character. Both Nicklas Backstrom and Ov had Smythe level first rounds going. Kuzy was not playing over his head in that cup run.

If the Capitals won another cup I would think 92 would be one among 3 or 4 players most likely to be selected for that award. Don't you?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m less concerned about his point totals which are still at a good 1C level and more concerned about him being a 200 foot player. He can’t have another year defensively like he did last year (literally one of the worst ever).

I think we should be concerned with his entire game. Consider that he ran up that point total while coasting. He had a stretch of 1 goal in 25 games and 3 goals in 30 games. That's not acceptable from him. If he was at his best, what would his point totals have looked like? I don't think being a 200 ft player would degrade his point totals.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Really. The hardest part of that by far is winning the cup. The performance quality shouldn't be that out of character. Both Nicklas Backstrom and Ov had Smythe level first rounds going. Kuzy was not playing over his head in that cup run.

If the Capitals won another cup I would think 92 would be one among 3 or 4 players most likely to be selected for that award. Don't you?

Prorating greatness is bogus math to me. For me, there’s no such thing as a 1 round Conn Smythe performance. That’s why I’m not expecting it. If by chance they make it to another Final, I agree he’ll probably/hopefully be on the short list.

Gotta get there again first.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think we should be concerned with his entire game. Consider that he ran up that point total while coasting. He had a stretch of 1 goal in 25 games and 3 goals in 30 games. That's not acceptable from him. If he was at his best, what would his point totals have looked like? I don't think being a 200 ft player would degrade his point totals.

Exactly right....it’s about delivering consistently. Coasting (to a BS 70+ point season) then expecting it’s going to be go-time in the playoffs, gets you bounced in the first round or two more often than not.

I think if we saw a consistent 200 ft game from 92, the goal/point totals would handle themselves. The production would be there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Prorating greatness is bogus math to me. For me, there’s no such thing as a 1 round Conn Smythe performance. That’s why I’m not expecting it. If by chance they make it to another Final, I agree he’ll probably/hopefully be on the short list.

Gotta get there again first.

Well...I am not expecting them to win another cup. But, if you they do win one in the next handful of years you don't think that Kuznetsov along with Ov and Backstrom would be the most likely? I am not thinking Eller and Hagelin

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Um, Wilson was suspended for the first 20 games last season.
tenor.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just scored goals with a pace he never was even close to.

For some of these guys scoring goals is a choice. I am pretty sure when Kuzy went 20 games without a goal last season\
it was largely for lack of interest. Last playoffs Backstrom was scoring like he was the goal scorer. He can score if he wants
to. He prefers another route.

But...ok. If you think that playoff run was a flash in the pan one off. Ok

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It sucks for the team, but I think it's okay to give Kuzy something that weights more than just words to make this situation more serious for him.
Agree. Do nothing and Kuzy is more likely to rationalize his behavior as off-ice shenanigans that the league has no business caring about. Which would make back-sliding easier.

To me though, it's the guy having 2 kids that makes me go WTF. No matter how functional a finance guy or a lawyer might be after doing some blow on a Wednesday night (and that may be not very), it ain't the same for an athlete or a Dad. You can't Dad 2 small kids in the early morning with the residue of a coke hangover, and that more than anything else should keep him from re-lapsing. If it doesn't, then he's got a bigger problem than the Caps do

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Exactly right....it’s about delivering consistently. Coasting (to a BS 70+ point season) then expecting it’s going to be go-time in the playoffs, gets you bounced in the first round or two more often than not.

I think if we saw a consistent 200 ft game from 92, the goal/point totals would handle themselves. The production would be there.

I don’t disagree with the crux of either of these posts. I guess I’m just looking at it from a process standpoint more than a production standpoint. I can envision a scenario where he stays as a ~75ish point player yet still is very effective, just as I can see him as a ~75ish point player who is a disappointment. There’s too much variance in point scoring for me to set a certain benchmark for him to reach in order for me to consider it a successful season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t disagree with the crux of either of these posts. I guess I’m just looking at it from a process standpoint more than a production standpoint. I can envision a scenario where he stays as a ~75ish point player yet still is very effective, just as I can see him as a ~75ish point player who is a disappointment. There’s too much variance in point scoring for me to set a certain benchmark for him to reach in order for me to consider it a successful season.

That is the point actually. You said, "his point totals which are still at a good 1C level". 3 goals in 30 games isn't 1C level work. 20 games without a goal. Is Burakovsky getting scratched level work. So, I am concerned about his offensive game.

Or....the guy banked 72 pts with one hand tied behind his back. He is better than that.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Any chance the league would consider retroactive discipline and just use some of the NHL games from last season where Kuzy's performance was a no show.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad