News Article: Kuznetsov Banned by IIHF for 4 years - Cocaine found in probe/Upd: Suspended 1st 3 gms of '19 season

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That i recall, none of those players were stars of the league. For certain none of those players images were pointed directly at children. Kuznetsov is a star. A big one. He gets a lot more attention as a result. He does far more damage to the league as a result.
Mike Richards was a much bigger star in Philadelphia than Kuznetsov has ever been in DC. It's not even close.

But league discipline should not factor in a players "star status," and if they ever did, the wrath of the NHLPA would rain down upon the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Mike Richards was a much bigger star in Philadelphia than Kuznetsov has ever been in DC. It's not even close.

But league discipline should not factor in a players "star status," and if they ever did, the wrath of the NHLPA would rain down upon the league.

The Mike Richards that got busted on LA with the Kings was not a big star.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The distribution was in reference to Lehtera. Philadelphia Flyers forward Jori Lehtera is being investigated for his role in a Finnish cocaine ring
Each of those guys faced legal trouble, which Kuznetsov is not facing. If you're in trouble with the law, it's pretty much by definition a bigger issue than if you're not.

Richards losing his Kings contract was not a punishment handed down by the league.

Copy on lehtera, I didn’t remember all that. I would agree his issue is more serious. I would say to the NHL the other two are not. Remember pro leagues and the legal system are the same. Again at some point they need to draw a line. Doing nothing obviously isn’t helping

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I agree star power shouldn’t be a factor. But the league does need to start weighing the image issue, and a bigger star might be the catalyst to action.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He may get a fine for conduct “detrimental to the league” and then the substance will get added to the banned list and anyone after will get suspensions and fines.

It’s not just one moving piece here, IMO

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This delay from the meeting with Bettman without any sort of official announcement is getting more worrisome the longer it gets.

Reactions: Corby78

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The NHL does not have a history of giving the Caps or their players the benefit of the doubt, and I saw a tweet earlier today that Bettman focused on Kuzy's May denial in the hearing. So I won't be shocked if they make an example of Kuzy.

Hope not, but we'll see.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Just to clarify, he's being suspended for lying about it, which is "conduct detrimental to the league" not for the actual positive test as the NHL drug policy doesn't suspend players for recreational drug use.

Part of me thinks that if appealed he probably would win and the NHLPA would be more than happy to call BS on suspending him for this, but 3 games is so minor and you know the club/Kuzy just want to move on.

#BadBoysofNHL

FYI last time the Capitals started a season with a player suspended they won a Cup. Bad Boyz LYFE PAYZ

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Three games, no biggie. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Glad the leauge didn't try to make some sort of example out of him.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I hope they do something interesting with the lineup for those three games - play one of the rookies rather than just Dowd and Stephenson at 3C/4C

Though besides McMichael who do we even have?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Statement from Evgeny Kuznetsov

Washington Capitals forward Evgeny Kuznetsov has released the following statement on the National Hockey League's three game suspension:

"I have decided to accept the NHL's suspension today. I am once again sorry that I have disappointed my family, my teammates, and the Capitals organization and fans. I promise to do everything in my power to win you back with my actions both on and off the ice. I also understand that I am fortunate to have an opportunity to make things right. Thanks to the Capitals, NHL, and NHLPA, I have taken many steps in the right direction and I'm confident that I will continue on that path. I am grateful for everyone's support and I'm looking to move forward from this point. While I can appreciate that people may have additional questions, I will not be commenting further on this matter."

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
“Caps avoid salary cap crisis”

Thanks Kuzy!!! :)

That doesn't make any sense to me. IIRC when Tom Wilson was suspended last season, his cap hit remained and the team could not replace him on the roster. How does being suspended help the Caps cap issues?

Wilson’s cap hit will remain on the team’s payroll. This wasn’t a major issue in past years, but Wilson signed a big new contract with a big new cap hit to go with it in the summer. That means Wilson’s salary will essentially be dead space for the length of his suspension, making it that much harder to replace him.
In addition, Wilson still counts towards the team’s 23-player maximum.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/everything-you-need-know-about-tom-wilsons-suspension

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad