News Article: Kuznetsov Banned by IIHF for 4 years - Cocaine found in probe/Upd: Suspended 1st 3 gms of '19 season

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He could easily use any reason to skip the tournament. I guess its a thing developed lately and his last Worlds it wasnt a problem (pure guess).

This last May he should have known (knew?) what hes doing. But no.

I estimate the probability of the addiction higher than that of reckless recreation.

Sad.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This week is big for Kuznetsov, as he is supposed to meet with Commissioner Bettman sometime within the next few days. Any punishment from the NHL (if any at all) will happen after that meeting.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I have a feeling bettman will do something. I don’t think he wants the backlash of letting this go with a stern talking too.
The NHL would be hypocrites to suspend Kuznetsov for this, considering he didn't fail an NHL drug test, the widespread cocaine use in the NHL, and that they didn't suspend Jarrett Stoll, Mike Richards, or even Jori Lehtera.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is there any kind of reciprocity between the NHL and IIHF that could conceivably support the NHL extending his suspension to league games?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The NHL would be hypocrites to suspend Kuznetsov for this, considering he didn't fail an NHL drug test, the widespread cocaine use in the NHL, and that they didn't suspend Jarrett Stoll, Mike Richards, or even Jori Lehtera.

Those 3 guys and Kuznetsov are two completely different things. I doubt they will be treated the same way.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hadn't thought about this til just now. If Kuzy is suspended, he cant be replaced on the roster and his salary cap hit stands. If Kempny cant start the season, he can be replaced on the roster if moved to IR, but his salary cap hit stands. If the Caps have two salary capped players unable to play, will they be able to fill a complete team?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

And? What pro league hasn't gone back and forth on punishments depending on the situation. I don't want to see Kuzy miss any time, but I wouldn't be surprised. And while Stoll, Richards, Lehtera are similar cases in the last couple years (although none failed a drug test that I know of), at some point the NHL needs to start dealing with players using recreational drugs. At some point they will move the line and set a new standard for dealing with these things.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Those 3 guys and Kuznetsov are two completely different things. I doubt they will be treated the same way.
You're right, they are different things. What each of those three guys did was a far more serious offense than Kuznetsov. Richards was detained at the border and charged with possession. Stoll was arrested and charged with possession. Both plead out. Lehtera was convicted in his case, and is currently serving a four month suspended prison sentence.

If the NHL doesn't suspend the guys who are getting arrested for smuggling drugs across borders and distributing cocaine, why would they possibly suspend the guy who just failed a drug test?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
You're right, they are different things. What each of those three guys did was a far more serious offense than Kuznetsov. Richards was detained at the border and charged with possession. Stoll was arrested and charged with possession. Both plead out. Lehtera was convicted in his case, and is currently serving a four month suspended prison sentence.

If the NHL doesn't suspend the guys who are getting arrested for smuggling drugs across borders and distributing cocaine, why would they possibly suspend the guy who just failed a drug test?

How is getting caught holding drugs more serious then getting caught doing drugs? All three were caught with an amount of a casual user, Richards wasn't charged with distribution, in fact the possession charge was stayed by Canada. By the way it did cost him a contract with the kings.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How is getting caught holding drugs more serious then getting caught doing drugs? All three were caught with an amount of a casual user, Richards wasn't charged with distribution, in fact the possession charge was stayed by Canada. By the way it did cost him a contract with the kings.

The distribution was in reference to Lehtera. Philadelphia Flyers forward Jori Lehtera is being investigated for his role in a Finnish cocaine ring
Each of those guys faced legal trouble, which Kuznetsov is not facing. If you're in trouble with the law, it's pretty much by definition a bigger issue than if you're not.

Richards losing his Kings contract was not a punishment handed down by the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

That i recall, none of those players were stars of the league. For certain none of those players images were pointed directly at children. Kuznetsov is a star. A big one. He gets a lot more attention as a result. He does far more damage to the league as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad