Confirmed with Link: Kuznetsov 8 year extension

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Backstrom must be getting moved. Cap's have Kuzy as the #1 now obviously since he's paid way more than Backy.

Backstrom was signed years ago, his deal does not reflect his market value. Nicky would be a 9mill player if a FA

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Even I didn't expect him above $7M. More than Tarasenko is outright crazy. WTF

In terms of a percentage of the cap when signed Tarasenko's contract is still higher. As is Backstrom's.

Tarasenko is the superior player surely, but I guess centers can just command more?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
A truth from one of the Pens' posters:

Eh, I figured he'd probably get 7.5, so this is fine. He was significantly better in the playoffs this year compared to last, so that's a good sign.

Firing Orpik into the sun would solve a whole lot of the Caps' problems.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This feels like a team without a direction at the moment. The short term plan seems to be keeping together as much of the roster as possible. What's the medium and long term plan? Let good players (Backstrom, Kuzy, Nisky, Orlov) waste prime years with a bunch of league minimum guys on the bottom pairing and 4th lines?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
GMGM had Backstrom as a hard cap for non-Ovechkin players. Curious if GMBM did some creative account with the annual salaries to keep it the same with Kuznetsov (ie, all of his yearly salaries are lower than Backstrom's until Backstrom's contract expires). Like LA did with Kopitar/Doughty.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Even I didn't expect him above $7M. More than Tarasenko is outright crazy. WTF

That's exactly what I thought.

Among Caps fans, there was this hopeful idea that he wouldn't be paid more than Backstrom, but with real comps that would have been pushing it. I thought Tarasenko's 7.5 was the absolute ceiling and it'd be less if he signed for the full 8 years. I guess I was way off.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
This feels like a team without a direction at the moment. The short term plan seems to be keeping together as much of the roster as possible. What's the medium and long term plan? Let good players (Backstrom, Kuzy, Nisky, Orlov) waste prime years with a bunch of league minimum guys on the bottom pairing and 4th lines?

Well it's not like they did anything with a stacked roster and guys like Kuzy and Orlov on cheap contracts.

If they're serious about competing still... I feel like the only solution is trading Ovechkin for a cheaper core player.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

This is my feeling as well. It's perplexing to watching pay thru the nose to keep the roster together while filling out all the depth with league minimum players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad