Confirmed with Link: Kuznetsov 8 year extension

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Dumping Orpik pretty much solves the entire cap problem. It definitely does if they can trade him w/o any retention.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Dumping Orpik pretty much solves the entire cap problem. It definitely does if they can trade him w/o any retention.

They're nearing territory where they not only have to dump Orpik, but dump Orpik without any replacement. The blueline is going to be rough.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This feels like a team without a direction at the moment. The short term plan seems to be keeping together as much of the roster as possible. What's the medium and long term plan? Let good players (Backstrom, Kuzy, Nisky, Orlov) waste prime years with a bunch of league minimum guys on the bottom pairing and 4th lines?

They're desperately clinging onto the hope of just making the playoffs the next 4 years. Being forced to overpay in both term on Oshie and $ on Kuzy. Their backs are against the wall. They're basically screwed as a Cup hopeful but they can fill the stands the next 4 years right?!!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean, the goods news here is that they're paying for Kuzy's prime. Deal expires when he's 34, not 39 or 40 like Vlasic/Price/Oshie.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
At this point they should be open for business in legit hockey trades. Forget this Orpik dump and futures sweeteners stuff. Maybe also do that but they should be entertaining more than just that. They need more of a vision than just grinding the numbers down, maintaining the same core minus UFA losses and the addition of unexceptional cheap depth.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carlson is probably the best trade piece they have for a hockey trade, but now he's one of the few value contracts they have left on their roster.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
At this point they should be open for business in legit hockey trades. Forget this Orpik dump and futures sweeteners stuff. Maybe also do that but they should be entertaining more than just that. They need more of a vision than just grinding the numbers down, maintaining the same core minus UFA losses and the addition of unexceptional cheap depth.

I agree with this. Per earlier discussion, there are enough kids to bring in and see what they can do. There are some hockey trades that can be made in addition to shedding Orpik.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I wonder if they're trying to dangle Burakovsky for a defender and then shedding Orpik for salary.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Like Hive said, moving Orpik leaves us a huge hole at LD with the market drying up fast for any hope to replace him. The goalie market is drying up too and Grubauer doesn't save you a ton.

Moving Eller for futures and getting Burakovsky in at $3m would get us just under the cap with a 22-man roster filled out with 7 spots taken up by guys making $800K or less. It would also leave us with MoJo at center and no real center depth if there's an injury. Not sure how the lines would look, but an example would be...

65 - 19 - 77
13 - 92 - 43
08 - 90 - 10
00 - 83 - 00 (Maybe Walker and Barber?)

09 - 02
00 - 74 (Djoos or Chorney?)
44 - 00 (Bowey or Lewington?)

And we'd still have to unload Grubauer.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They're probably playing hardball with Burakovsky, given that he doesn't have arbitration rights. Of course there's the looming specter of an offer sheet, but that's still rare.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Eller, Johansson, Orpik - these guys are roster players to drop.

Prospects... I guess most of them are available.

GMBM need to identify which player to target though. Is he capable of picking 2-3 right players in a row? We better trade for players under contract, like 2-3 years left at minimum.

3C like Cody Eakin could help I think. Orpik + for Eakin - would you do it?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
3C like Cody Eakin could help I think. Orpik + for Eakin - would you do it?

Vegas wouldn't. They're trying to get rid of defensemen, not take more. Additionally, GMGM stated he wants to hang onto the younger players. They only have 3 forwards younger than Eakin, and are starved for center depth. If Marchessault ends up on the wing, Eakin could be their 2C.

Also, Eakin has a higher cap hit than Eller.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Vegas wouldn't. They're trying to get rid of defensemen, not take more. Additionally, GMGM stated he wants to hang onto the younger players. They only have 3 forwards younger than Eakin, and are starved for center depth. If Marchessault ends up on the wing, Eakin could be their 2C.

Also, Eakin has a higher cap hit than Eller.

Eakin is an example of useful 3C in my mind. With 3 years left.

Eller is the player that is getting off the team soon enough. GMBM can trade him for future considerations tomorrow and everyone here will love it.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Holy crap that's bad. Giving up a good player on a good contract to DOWNGRADE your team. Talk about cap casualties.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I like this deal less than the Oshie or Orlov deals. It's not awful but of all the extensions they've done this is more than I expected by a greater amount, I was thinking $7-7.25M, hoping for less. I thought Holtby, Orlov, and Oshie would get a little more, Backstrom much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad