Confirmed with Link: Kulikov Traded to the Ducks for Future Considerations

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
obviously a C upgrade is what we would want to spend the money on but what exactly even an option to consider with our current cap and possible player for player trade? Horvat seems to be possibly on the block but at what cost from us?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I agree that it wasn't necessary, until they committed to Goligoski. With Addison coming in though, everyone saw the writing on the wall...Kulikov has been the odd man out for quite some time. Many have been predicting his trade at some point this offseason.
Merrill’s not going to be available, so we only have 6 healthy defensemen to start the season now. Even for just injury protection, it’d make sense to keep Kulikov on the team.

Our last two trades have just helped the other teams out and we didn’t benefit anything from it. We’ve added $5M in cap space by downgrading from Talbot to Gus and trading away our 3LD. I’m okay with both of these trades if we actually do something with the cap.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Merrill’s not going to be available, so we only have 6 healthy defensemen to start the season now. Even for just injury protection, it’d make sense to keep Kulikov on the team.

Our last two trades have just helped the other teams out and we didn’t benefit anything from it. We’ve added $5M in cap space by downgrading from Talbot to Gus and trading away our 3LD. I’m okay with both of these trades if we actually do something with the cap.
Kulikov plays the left, Merrill the right. Kulikov wasn't going to play in place of Merrill. Addison would. They'll use AHL depth if needed to fill in on the left. Spot call ROR for example.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Mermis is alright for a 7th dman call up until Merril is back.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Kulikov plays the left, Merrill the right. Kulikov wasn't going to play in place of Merrill. Addison would. They'll use AHL depth if needed to fill in on the left. Spot call ROR for example.
Merill is a LD that had to play the right. Our 3rd pair shouldn’t have been seen as set in stone. For as bad as Kulikov was in the playoffs, Merrill was worse. The plan should’ve been to go into camp with Kulikov and Goligoski playing for the 3LD spot. Even rotate them as needed to keep them fresh. Based on the regular season, I thought Kulikov looked decent for large stretches of it. Definitely better than Merrill.

With Addison and Rossi on the roster, we’ll have 22 spots filled and $4.1M in space. When we’ve already got $12M in dead cap, not utilizing every possible dollar is a bad move. We’re effectively a team with a roster that is near the cap floor.

Mermis is alright for a 7th dman call up until Merril is back.
He’s fine, but I don’t think Goligoski is alright for the 3LD spot. Given the subtractions from this roster, I would’ve preferred more options than less. I’ll wait until the off-season is over to make any final judgements though. There might be more moves to come.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Merill is a LD that had to play the right. Our 3rd pair shouldn’t have been seen as set in stone. For as bad as Kulikov was in the playoffs, Merrill was worse. The plan should’ve been to go into camp with Kulikov and Goligoski playing for the 3LD spot. Even rotate them as needed to keep them fresh. Based on the regular season, I thought Kulikov looked decent for large stretches of it. Definitely better than Merrill.

With Addison and Rossi on the roster, we’ll have 22 spots filled and $4.1M in space. When we’ve already got $12M in dead cap, not utilizing every possible dollar is a bad move. We’re effectively a team with a roster that is near the cap floor.

He’s fine, but I don’t think Goligoski is alright for the 3LD spot. Given the subtractions from this roster, I would’ve preferred more options than less.
I think you severely overrate Kulikov.

I liked him better than Goligoski, but that's not saying much. I agree with @DeagleJenkins that Mermis is just fine as a fill in as well. We have depth at defense and Kulikov wasn't going to be a difference maker at all anyway.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I liked him better than Goligoski, but that's not saying much. I agree with @DeagleJenkins that Mermis is just fine as a fool in as well. We have depth at defense and Kulikov wasn't going to be a difference maker at all anyway.
I don’t think I’m overrating Kulikov at all. If the choice is between nobody and Kulikov, then why wouldn’t you keep Kulikov? What benefit is there to losing him?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Completely agree, but once Guerin re-signed Merrill and Goligoski during the season you knew that Kulikov was the odd man out.

Disagree. That cap space can be useful during the season if some other team with cap problems is forced to move a good player for below market value as long as they don't have to take salary back (i.e. Devon Toews).

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don’t think I’m overrating Kulikov at all. If the choice is between nobody and Kulikov, then why wouldn’t you keep Kulikov? What benefit is there to losing him?
The choice was Goligoski or Kulikov IMO, they chose Goligoski. Id have chosen otherwise, but that ship has sailed. Kulikov was the odd man out for a long time coming.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Completely agree, but once Guerin re-signed Merrill and Goligoski during the season you knew that Kulikov was the odd man out.

Disagree. That cap space can be useful during the season if some other team with cap problems is forced to move a good player for below market value as long as they don't have to take salary back (i.e. Devon Toews).
That cap space becomes less useful in-season. Toews was traded prior to the 2020 season. If Guerin is going to utilize this extra cap, it should be prior to the start of the season. That’s exactly what he should be targeting though, I agree there. It’s just a matter if he’ll actually be able to pull that off.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I liked him better than Goligoski, but that's not saying much. I agree with @DeagleJenkins that Mermis is just fine as a fill in as well. We have depth at defense and Kulikov wasn't going to be a difference maker at all anyway.
You're both right. Truth is, Merrill, Goligoski, and to a lesser extent, Kulikov, were mediocre defenders last year. Above Pateryn, Hunt, and Bittetto, for sure, but not by much. I'd rather have Soucy over all three of them.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Goligoski is a very good defenseman and worth his contract, you can't ignore his +41 in 72 games last season. That's why Billy re-signed him.

Kulikov is average, had a terrible game 1 in the playoffs and never played since.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That cap space becomes less useful in-season. Toews was traded prior to the 2020 season. If Guerin is going to utilize this extra cap, it should be prior to the start of the season. That’s exactly what he should be targeting though, I agree there. It’s just a matter if he’ll actually be able to pull that off.
I'm wondering is he isn't going to do something like move Dumba/Zuccarello for an even bigger contract coming back. This extra cap space allows him to do that, maybe. No idea who that would be.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Goligoski is a very good defenseman and worth his contract, you can't ignore his +41 in 72 games last season. That's why Billy re-signed him.

Kulikov is average, had a terrible game 1 in the playoffs and never played since.
Goligoski is old and was completely out of gas by December. He was nothing but a liability the 2nd half of the season and there was a reason he was a healthy scratch more often than not by the trade deadline.

He's got nothing left.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Goligoski is old and was completely out of gas by December. He was nothing but a liability the 2nd half of the season and there was a reason he was a healthy scratch more often than not by the trade deadline.

He's got nothing left.
and we can't do a damn thing about it.:(

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

He's got nothing left.

Our esteemed GM seems to believe he has 2 entire years left.

At least with Addison this season and whoever else next season, we can just use him as the 7D full time.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm wondering is he isn't going to do something like move Dumba/Zuccarello for an even bigger contract coming back. This extra cap space allows him to do that, maybe. No idea who that would be.
part of me wants this to happen... and at the same time i dont simply because of dead cap and the possibility of it being someone overpaid and underperforming his old reputation.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Watch we trade Dumba and extras for Kane.

But seriously I'm seeing it as Sam Steele for Dimitry Kulikov.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Of course he does, he played with him after all...
Ah, I see it now. This is how Guerin will justify that he, himself, still has something left in the tank. He will sign himself to a 2x2 contract to play 1st line- wait no, let's be realistic, 2nd line RW. He'll prove his value by beating out vaunted top 6 players like Sam Steel and Tyson Jost.

It's all become so clear.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Here's how I see the d-man depth chart now:
-Brodin/Dumba, Middleton/Spurgeon, Merrill/Goli (starting top-6)
-Sustr (this year's Benn)
-Mermis (AHL, short term pressbox callup)
-Addison (AHL, long term callup)
-ROR/Hunt (could jump ahead of Addison and Mermis depending on their play)

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Remember the top-6 misses a lot of games last year.
-Brodin: 9 games
-Goli: 10 games (some was pressbox)
-Merrill: 13 games (some was pressbox?)
-Spurgeon: 17 games
-Dumba: 25 games

Kulikov missed 2 games. This is why I don't like this trade unless they do something productive with the cap money they just gained. It's a big hit to the d-corps depth for a team that has players with a history injury problems.

Reactions: Spurgeon

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Remember the top-6 misses a lot of games last year.
-Brodin: 9 games
-Goli: 10 games (some was pressbox)
-Merrill: 13 games (some was pressbox?)
-Spurgeon: 17 games
-Dumba: 25 games

Kulikov missed 2 games. This is why I don't like this trade unless they do something productive with the cap money they just gained. It's a big hit to the d-corps depth for a team that has players with a history injury problems.

Kulikov was as good as gone the minute both Merrill and Gologoski were extended. Looks like the plan is to give Addison an opportunity to fill Kulikov's roster spot and I think its about time. Depth is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00