Rumor: Kris Russell to Edmonton 1 year/3.1 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
because he will make the team worse when he's on the ice and the oilers have nobody to shelter him with

And is this the only deal on D the Oilers are allowed to make? If they sign Russell they cant add another Dman or call up a Nurse, Oesterle, Benning, Simpson

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
because he will make the team worse when he's on the ice and the oilers have nobody to shelter him with

Unless he's playing the #1D minutes on the team against toughest comp, which he won't be, he is by definition sheltered.

Anyways love this signing because it gives Edm an actual NHL player on the bottom pair who can maybe play a little bit of 2nd pair if Davidson struggles, along with be able to play special teams and most importantly keep Reinhart, Oesterle and Nurse in the AHL where they should be, all on a 1 year contract.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Anyway, this is the last post I'll have on the subject. Oilers fans should enjoy watching Russell getting played over 20 minute a night while giving results like this (All stats min. 10 GP, and comparing D men):

In Calgary:
6th most P/GP
7th most P/60
6th most shots/GP
Worst CF% on the team (44.1%)
Worst CF REL% (-5.5%)

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
IN: Russell + Versteeg (most likely)
OUT: Yakupov

Oilers are better today than they were yesterday. Let the bashing continue, par for the course.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
IN: Russell + Versteeg (most likely)
OUT: Yakupov

Oilers are better today than they were yesterday. Let the bashing continue, par for the course.
It's a neutral board. You don't want to read criticisms from other fanbases you don't have to.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Anyway, this is the last post I'll have on the subject. Oilers fans should enjoy watching Russell getting played over 20 minute a night while giving results like this (All stats min. 10 GP, and comparing D men):

In Calgary:
6th most P/GP
7th most P/60
6th most shots/GP
Worst CF REL% (-5.5%)

Oh hey coach McLellan, nice of you to drop by. I was meaning to ask you many minutes and in what situations you were gonna play Russell all season but I didn't even have to ask, you're so on the ball! Thanks again :)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well, there's demonstrable evidence in each of those cases that the players mentioned are better than Russell; Hedman, Muzzin, and Klingberg all vastly outproduce him, generally are on the ice for less goals, and still suppress their fair share of shots.

Emelin, however, doesn't do any of the aforementioned things better or much better than Russell and costs more to boot.

Better shot suppression and possession by a mile to Emelin though.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Well you know what when a small animal wouldn't live long enough to see the team make the playoffs there's probably going to be a lot of things to criticize. Read the thread from when the Stars trading for Russell, it was 10x worse than this.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Well you know what when a small animal wouldn't live long enough to see the team make the playoffs there's probably going to be a lot of things to criticize. Read the thread from when the Stars trading for Russell, it was 10x worse than this.

Difference is the Stars gave up two valuable picks. Oilers gave up a few million dollars from a billionaire's bank account.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Because anything critical about an Oilers player isn't automatically "Oilers hate"...

Was it like...preemptive "Oilers hate" when the Stars traded for him?

Because the Stars actually gave up assets to get Russell, the Oilers will get him with salary that they weren't going to use anyways.
I'm not even an Oilers fan but some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Difference is the Stars gave up two valuable picks. Oilers gave up a few million dollars from a billionaire's bank account.

...and there's a decent chance we'll be the ones getting two 'valuable' picks in February because we're shelling out the dough up front.

He and Versteeg aren't stars but they're useful veteran NHLers there to fill a (likely temporary) role.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

In Calgary:
6th most P/GP
7th most P/60
6th most shots/GP
Worst CF REL% (-5.5%)

I can think of a defenceman who had the second-worst SA/60, CF% and CF REL% on the Leafs. I hope you enjoy watching him lead Toronto in TOI again; I believe his initials are MR.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Because the Stars actually gave up assets to get Russell, the Oilers will get him with salary that they weren't going to use anyways.
I'm not even an Oilers fan but some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous.
I don't disagree but it has nothing to do with the Oilers. Kris Russell is one of the most heavily criticized players on HF. It's 2016 if your HERO chart looks like Kris Russell's you're going to catch flack regardless of how long the deal is. Not advocating judging players by HERO charts either but if you have a bad one people are going to say mean things about you.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I can think of a defenceman who had the second-worst SA/60, CF% and CF REL% on the Leafs. I hope you enjoy watching him lead Toronto in TOI again; I believe his initials are MR.
That's because he was paired with the worst (by a huge margin) at CF% and CF REL%. Apples and oranges.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I like it.

I think we're a better going forward with the moves we're making.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't disagree but it has nothing to do with the Oilers. Kris Russell is one of the most heavily criticized players on HF. It's 2016 if your HERO chart looks like Kris Russell's you're going to catch flack regardless of how long the deal is. Not advocating judging players by HERO charts either but if you have a bad one people are going to say mean things about you.

Weber's hero charts look awful too, yet Team Canada keeps selecting him and he keeps playing as a #1Dman in the league. Such great tools those hero charts are.

You ninja edited your post when I quoted it. Disregard my statement.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The deal has been confirmed, we can change the tag on the thread.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Weber's hero charts look awful too, yet Team Canada keeps selecting him and he keeps playing as a #1Dman in the league. Such great tools those hero charts are.

You ninja edited your post when I quoted it. Disregard my statement.
No worries man, I added that because HERO charts can be kind of shady sometimes. I don't think it's a bad deal anyway so I'll just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad