Rumor: Kris Russell to Edmonton 1 year/3.1 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So we are a couple days away from October and just a couple weeks away from the season and Russell is still sitting without a contract where does he go? Is he really going to be unsigned when the season starts?

You got to think at this point he can be had dirt cheap and on a short term deal.

I know I would take him at this point because because his price should be as low as it gets now,

He can help a lot of teams

Where does he go?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
My gut tells me both him and the Flames are waiting for the JG shoe to drop. Once that contract is agreed upon Russell will sign with the Flames shortly after.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's nice that teams now realize how over rated this guy is.

But he's not, he would be if he had the reputation of a top pairing guy but he doesn't, he has the reputation of a tough shot blockingD man.

Which is what he is

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So we are a couple days away from October and just a couple weeks away from the season and Russell is still sitting without a contract where does he go? Is he really going to be unsigned when the season starts?

You got to think at this point he can be had dirt cheap and on a short term deal.

I know I would take him at this point because because his price should be as low as it gets now,

He can help a lot of teams

Where does he go?
A couple weeks ago Ryan Pinder on Fan960 in Calgary said he has a source that claims Russell has a deal in place with the Flames but is waiting for the Flames to "clear bad money". I don't listen often but he was going on about it again the other day, he seems pretty convinced by his source.

If this is true and there are no trades clearing "bad money", it might not happen until the day they put Smid on LTIR.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
But he's not, he would be if he had the reputation of a top pairing guy but he doesn't, he has the reputation of a tough shot blockingD man.

Which is what he is

He was traded as a rental at the deadline for a 2nd, a solid prospect and another legit NHL defender who has pretty solid upside.

So, yeah.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was traded as a rental at the deadline for a 2nd, a solid prospect and another legit NHL defender who has pretty solid upside.

So, yeah.
Market value fluctuates based on supply and demand, not how overrated/underrated players are. Not to mention everyone knows teams significantly overpay for most players at the trade deadline.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only good thing as a Stars fan i can say about him after we traded for him everyone else started blocking shots on a more regular basis as well .

Other than that we wasted assets aquiring him imho. I'll just preted we traded for Hamhuis and re-signed him and the Canucks somehow gave the assets to the Flames for no reason . :P

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Two teams probably know his true value, the Flames and Stars, who both could use a 5/6 Dman like Russell.
If those two teams haven't signed maybe it's a sign....he's not that good for the price he wanted.

Russell is this years Cody Franson. Apparently the Leafs offered Franson 4.6m for five years in February 2015. Franson wanted over 5m, and the Leafs made a TDL to Nashville.

Come the summer no takers and eventually he signed for 3.3m a year for two years with Buffalo.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Can't believe Dallas passed on Hamhuis for this guy just to toss him to the wayside and sign Hamhuis in the offseason anyway. The ultimate crank.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

So, yeah.

That happens to every UFA D man at the deadline teams overpay

Look at Polak last year 2 2nds

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
Russell is a 5/6 on any team in the league and can step up if there is an injury. If you disagree than your just ignorant and enjoy treating Russell like hes the Nickleback of HF.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Russell is a 5/6 on any team in the league and can step up if there is an injury. If you disagree than your just ignorant and enjoy treating Russell like hes the Nickleback of HF.

A nickelback reference in comparison to Russell

Poor Russell

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
A nickelback reference in comparison to Russell

Poor Russell

Its true though. The majority of people are drones that cant form there own opinion.

Russell put up 34 pts and was +18 in 2014-2015 and is only 29.. hes capable of being any teams #5/6 and play special teams.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I think Russell can step in as a #4 on some teams, but he's definitely a 3rd pairing guy. Being a "gritty" (if Russel even is an overly gritty player) or "shot blocking" player doesn't make you any good (in fact it can show that you don't have other assets to the table), but Russel is OK enough in other aspects of the game to make him a viable dman

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its true though. The majority of people are drones that cant form there own opinion.

Russell put up 34 pts and was +18 in 2014-2015 and is only 29.. hes capable of being any teams #5/6 and play special teams.
This is unfair to Russell, because those saying Nickelback sucks are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad