Rumor: Kris Russell to Edmonton 1 year/3.1 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Oilers have a plethora of cap space and Kris Russell adds depth. Nothing bad about this move.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Check his WOWYs, he's bad and he makes the players that play with him worse. He's a black hole. GF% is bad when he's on the ice. Sooo I guess it's you who needs to try harder.
Actually, he did have a okay relGF% but that's largely because 1) he was clearly the designated puck mover and passer on team which would both leads to higher shooting%, even though he has below average success rate at zone exit in general and statistically speaking his passing ability is bottom tier and 2) being on the good side of luck during lineup changes / special teams exit.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
It doesn't irritate me. :dunno:

In fact I'm very happy he's been signed so I don't have to worry about my team signing him. It's just silly to see people saying he's a top 4 when he's clearly not.

I haven't seen many claiming he's a top 4. Maybe some flames fans who you know actually have some experience watching the guy play but not much else.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
1 year no risk
I mean, 1 year, 7 years, if he makes the team worse he makes them worse.

They signed a possession blackhole and people are surprised that there's criticism? ok. It's a neutral board.

Actually, he did have a okay relGF% but that's largely because 1) he was clearly the designated puck mover and passer on team which would both leads to higher shooting%, even though he has below average success rate at zone exit in general and statistically speaking his passing ability is bottom tier and 2) being on the good side of luck during lineup changes / special teams exit.
Right, didn't remember if it was decent or better than the rest of the team though.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I legit have no idea what you're talking about here. I'm not back tracking at all. :laugh:

Again, it's cute, but everybody sees it. Pretending you didn't do is simply digging that hole of yours further. You attempted a drive-by and it didn't work. Too bad.

Uhhh, I answered that question, it's right there in the quote you posted. :facepalm:

"Plenty of other ways" is now a source or advanced stats website, apparently. Weird- I don't get anything when I go to "plentyofotherways.com".

Off topic, again, for some reason. Weird.

It's off-topic to determine whether the source you provided is accurate or fair? Okay- that must mean HERO charts are baseless, then.

Is this a serious question? There are plenty of people talking about how he blocks shots as if that makes him a top 4 D man...have you only been reading my posts in this thread or something? :help:

Again, "plentyofpeople" doesn't appear to be a poster here. You're going to have to try harder than that.

In fact I'm very happy he's been signed so I don't have to worry about my team signing him. It's just silly to see people saying he's a top 4 when he's clearly not.

Then you must hate Rielly being a Leaf.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Many are calling him a top 4 D man, which he is undoubtedly not a top 4 D man.
Played top 4 minutes on a team that went to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. The problem was that after he was traded to Dallas he was playing #1 minutes which is way too much for him.
What do you have?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Ooooooh. Well, try your very best to move on past that then. There's plenty of other ways to show how terrible Russell is if you look for them, HERO charts are just the easiest and most readily available resource.

But hey, that chart shows a bunch of reasons why Russell sucks at least. I haven't seen ANY Oilers fans provide ANY info to show why he's a #4. "But guyz, he getz hit by da puckz lots!" is not an argument for a valuable defenceman, sorry.

Have you seen Russell play? I would like to know what you are basing your opinion on?

Weast

May 16, 2011
Even if he is only a bottom pair defenseman, 1 year is no risk. The Oilers lost Yakupov today and potentially gained Russell for only 0.6 million more. I don't understand the all the Oilers hate on these threads.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Even if he is only a bottom pair defenseman, 1 year is no risk. The Oilers lost Yakupov today and potentially gained Russell for only 0.6 million more. I don't understand the all the Oilers hate on these threads.
Because anything critical about an Oilers player isn't automatically "Oilers hate"...

Was it like...preemptive "Oilers hate" when the Stars traded for him?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Again, it's cute, but everybody sees it. Pretending you didn't do is simply digging that hole of yours further. You attempted a drive-by and it didn't work. Too bad.

Dude, I've got no idea what you're on about. What am I back tracking on?

"Plenty of other ways" is now a source or advanced stats website, apparently. Weird- I don't get anything when I go to "plentyofotherways.com".

hockey-reference.com
NHL.com (enhanced stats section)
puckalytics.com
stats.hockeyanalysis.com
Happy learning. :)

It's off-topic to determine whether the source you provided is accurate or fair? Okay- that must mean HERO charts are baseless, then.

It's off topic to keep bringing Rielly up unprompted, yes.

Again, "plentyofpeople" doesn't appear to be a poster here. You're going to have to try harder than that.

Soooo you are just reading my post? Use your eyes, it's not that hard.

Still waiting for you (or any Oilers fan) to provide proof showing Kris Russell is a top 4 D man. I'll wait.

Played top 4 minutes on a team that went to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. The problem was that after he was traded to Dallas he was playing #1 minutes which is way too much for him.
What do you have?

A guy who's being deployed in situations that are too difficult for him.

PuckinGood

Jun 28, 2016
Edmonton
It's one year, good for the oilers. Kris will hopefully be used as a 3rd pairing D-man, who's main responsibility is to block shots. He won't be heavily relied on for outlet passes or any good passing at all, idk if he's a leader in the locker room but he is depth on the blue line which is nice.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
Can't believe Dallas passed on Hamhuis for this guy just to toss him to the wayside and sign Hamhuis in the offseason anyway. The ultimate crank.

You're forgetting Hamhuis had just recovered from a nasty slap shot to the face which he needed surgery for. At the time it was uncertain if he'd be able to recover and if I recall he wasn't playing like the Dan Hamhuis that us Canucks fan were accustomed to.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Russell isn't that good... as an Oiler, Star, Flame, Blue, Blue Jacket... It's only a 1-year contract, but he won't make their defence any better when he's in the lineup.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Russell isn't that good... as an Oiler, Star, Flame, Blue, Blue Jacket... It's only a 1-year contract, but he won't make their defence any better when he's in the lineup.

And he isnt that bad either. Moves the puck well, good skater, smart. I think he plays the larger players as well as can be expected for his size as well.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Well it depends on who he's replacing.

Also, one thing people need to realize is McLellan's system relies on d men who can skate. Russell is one of the few free agents out there who can do that.

Gryba and Fayne aren't very good at that. That could be why Gryba might not be signed and why Fayne has not fit in as well as expected.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You would have been better off getting a depth D-man who can help you stay out of your own end. Especially in lieu of having a #1 D to eat up minutes and tilt the ice like most playoff teams.

GoldenTicket

Nov 14, 2006
In your bushes
The Oilers use cap space that wouldn't have been used otherwise for a bottom pairing guy that upgrades their defense. I don't see why not. Any better options out there for free?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

As long as he is better than Fayne he will make the D better. The bar really isnt set high in Edmonton. Hopefully Chia is working on something bigger for a long term solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad