Rumor: Kris Russell to Edmonton 1 year/3.1 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
No worries man, I added that because HERO charts can be kind of shady sometimes. I don't think it's a bad deal anyway so I'll just leave it at that.

See I'm fine with people criticizing Russell all they want, but I just find it hilarious when fans of other teams that don't watch the team try and say he will make the team worse by us signing him. He's easily a better defender than Fayne or Gryba, which at this point are the other options for the last spot in our top 6 D. There's really no reasonable argument out there to criticize the signing. Its a one-year deal, and the money is irrelevant because we don't have any cap issues, and he's a better player than the Dman who would be playing if we hadn't signed him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't disagree but it has nothing to do with the Oilers. Kris Russell is one of the most heavily criticized players on HF. It's 2016 if your HERO chart looks like Kris Russell's you're going to catch flack regardless of how long the deal is. Not advocating judging players by HERO charts either but if you have a bad one people are going to say mean things about you.

Which Kris Russell chart are we talking about? Bottom pair offensive defenseman-on-a-structured-team-with-short-defensive/neutral-zone-passes Kris Russell or Bob Hartley's pet Scott Neidermayer 2.0 Except-Not-Really In-A-Division-With-Kopitar/Getzlaf/Thornton/Sedins trying to lob 150 foot Hail Mary's Kris Russell?

aHzVABk.png

And that folks, is the problem with HERO charts as gospel. And I like them.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
That's because he was paired with the worst (by a huge margin) at CF% and CF REL%. Apples and oranges.

CF% is a horrible stat to judge stay at home defensmen who rarely touch the puck.

If you want to use numbers, why not use ones that have context for the player type, like CA% and HDSC?

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
CF% is a horrible stat to judge stay at home defensmen who rarely touch the puck.

If you want to use numbers, why not use ones that have context for the player type, like CA% and HDSC?

Seeing people understand.
My HSCA shots is a joy only took 9 years!

Cup winners have 3+ top 60 HSCA D.
HSCA/60
CA/60 should be sub 50
SA/60 should be sub 27.5

Go to Corsica hockey
Select combos/pairings
Select 10-11 to 15-16
Select player: Kris russell
Identify the pairings with good CA/SA/GA
See if he has a type of d he is successful with.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015

You're wrong on both accounts. Corsi (over xgoal, SC, HDSC, etc) is most useful when it comes to defensive defenseman, less useful to evaluate centres and offensive dmen and even less so with wingers.

Russell is NOT a stay-at-home defenseman. He was more often relied on for transition, wrongly.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Seeing people understand.
My HSCA shots is a joy only took 9 years!

Cup winners have 3+ top 60 HSCA D.
HSCA/60
CA/60 should be sub 50
SA/60 should be sub 27.5

Go to Corsica hockey
Select combos/pairings
Select 10-11 to 15-16
Select player: Kris russell
Identify the pairings with good CA/SA/GA
See if he has a type of d he is successful with.

Who hacked into Oilbear's account? No way there could be such a short post from the real Oilbear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad