Half-Assed GDT: Kraken v Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Final thoughts. I liked Saad with Thomas and Kyrou. I hope that sticks when healthy.

With Husso playing as well as he is, do we go 50/50 with the starts down the stretch to keep Binnington fresh for the playoffs?

I very much noticed the lack of Parayko tonight. His game isn't and will never be flashy but watching tonight I realized all the little things he does so well on the backend.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Great game, whether this team makes a deep run or not, it'll be a fun ride to the end! :yo:

Haven't been able to follow closely this season due to work :dunno: , but this is a fun team to watch, for sure! :nod: :heart:

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Tonight was Thomas's 7th game of the season with 3+ shots on goal. We're now 6-1-0 when he registers 3+ shots this season. For his career, we're 20-6-1 when he does so, good for a 143 point pace.

So if he could just keep shooting the puck...
office-space-lumbergh.gif

Edit: Did the math, we're 92-56-24 when he has <3 shots, good for only a 99 point pace.

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Cracking the f*** up watching this post game interview with Kyrou and Thomer :laugh:

EDIT:

Kyrou = grumpy in the morning: confirmed.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Thomas was buzzin tonight. Glad he was rewarded with a goal. Husso continues to be great. I was concerned with the idea of running him out there as the backup again this year, but he’s been incredible. Keep her rolling against the Leafs!

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Thomas was buzzin tonight. Glad he was rewarded with a goal. Husso continues to be great. I was concerned with the idea of running him out there as the backup again this year, but he’s been incredible. Keep her rolling against the Leafs!

Really hope we win for the Dangle-rage. :lol:

Either way, the next LFR will be a lotta fun! :yo: :laugh: :dunce:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Final thoughts. I liked Saad with Thomas and Kyrou. I hope that sticks when healthy.

With Husso playing as well as he is, do we go 50/50 with the starts down the stretch to keep Binnington fresh for the playoffs?

I very much noticed the lack of Parayko tonight. His game isn't and will never be flashy but watching tonight I realized all the little things he does so well on the backend.

Saad is a good compliment to those two, I agree. Saader had a very strong game, I thought.

Husso was stellar again and he looks like a real force this season. If the Blues had lost this game, no one could have really been that upset with all the guys out of the lineup but it was great to see the team bear down and get it done.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
JK tried his best to jinx the Blues with Donskoi .

I still like what I see from Kostin but he doesn’t get much ice time. I’d like to see him with more talented teammates but doubt it will happen.
just reading back thru these the morning after (sorry I haven't liked/commented on more of these.. still getting some coffee going lol )

my pov says that this year is about getting kostin ice time and experience, getting familiar with dzone responsibilites, smaller rink, speed of the game..etc...
NEXT year will be his year to shine or stink

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
I was at the game. Kraken's defense did a good job of limiting the Blues' opportunities in the first two periods. I think that's kinda been their M.O. when they're playing their game -- good defense with zero offense. I realize they have some good players out but excluding those players, and their top 4 defensemen of Gio, Dunn, Oleksiak, and Larsson their players seem like glorified AHLers.

Dunn had a great crowd greeting him during warm ups and looked genuinely appreciative during the tribute video.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Not the prettiest game, but we banked the 2 points (and a regulation win for tie break purposes if we get to that point). With the number of guys missing, there is absolutely nothing to complain about there. Buffalo beating Nashville 4-1 was an unexpected bonus too. Hopefully we can get a guy or two back for the Leafs game. That one is going to be tougher.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I don't want to get virtually crucified for suggesting this.. But does Thomas remind anyone else of a more modern day Steve Yzerman? He's even built like him with the bulk he put on in the off-season, which has immensely improved his puck protection. He's also incredibly adept at using his feet as an extension of his stick in the more congested areas of the ice to keep plays alive, much like Yzerman was.
There are varying opinions on the importance of wearing a letter on your jersey, be it an A or a C. But, imo Thomas wearing an A last night in place of Parayko says that he's taken the steps to improve that the organization hoped he would and is being recognized for it.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
just reading back thru these the morning after (sorry I haven't liked/commented on more of these.. still getting some coffee going lol )

my pov says that this year is about getting kostin ice time and experience, getting familiar with dzone responsibilites, smaller rink, speed of the game..etc...
NEXT year will be his year to shine or stink
I'm willing to give him another 1/4 - 1/3 season this fall, but I have little confidence that he will shine.

"Gifting" Kostin better linemates will do nothing except drag down his better linemates. He has to earn it and, currently, he is not earning it.

That's my opinion, so.....whatever. I just never thought he was that good.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don't want to get virtually crucified for suggesting this.. But does Thomas remind anyone else of a more modern day Steve Yzerman? He's even built like him with the bulk he put on in the off-season, which has immensely improved his puck protection. He's also incredibly adept at using his feet as an extension of his stick in the more congested areas of the ice to keep plays alive, much like Yzerman was.
There are varying opinions on the importance of wearing a letter on your jersey, be it an A or a C. But, imo Thomas wearing an A last night in place of Parayko says that he's taken the steps to improve that the organization hoped he would and is being recognized for it.
I see him more as Krejci. 6 foot RHS center that's an Absolutely electric passer, skater, and defensively sound with a poor shot.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
That's a good comparison. But with his skating a dangles, he has the potential to be better than Krejci offensively. I think he is faster and better on his edges than Krejci.
Quick lurk to FO stats. Looks like Thomas has improve his FO game quite bit. This year Thomas has total of 474 faceoff taken and has 50.6%, last season 263 total of faceoffs, but 42.6%. You can easily compare last season and this season, 'cus same amount of games. 2019-20 season 317 total of faceoff taken and 42.9%. Cup season Thomas 220 total of faceoffs and 44.1%.

Look here.

NHL Stats

I really like how much responsibility Thomas has earned or have to play at PK. He is 3rd most used PK'er on forward group. ROR 1st, Sundqvist 2nd and THomas 3rd.

NHL Stats

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

How tall are you? I'm only asking so I can make your cross the appropriate size... :sarcasm:

Of course I kid, but that comparison might be a bit much. Yzerman was a dominant goal scorer in addition to his many other talents, so I'm not sure it's the best comparison. Linkin mentioned Krejci, which could be a good comparison, although Thomas seems to be a bit "shiftier" with his quick turns and skating. I wonder if he was inspired by Schwartz, because they both look similar on the cycle. Thomas looks great already, but I'd like to see him shoot just a bit more to keep the defense guessing. It's great to see him getting tougher D assignments and PK time as he develops into more of a two-way center, and who better to have as an example than ROR?

Edit: After wracking my brain to think of a good comparable to Thomas, what about Mike Riberio? Shifty pass-first player who also had great 1-on-1 moves, though Thomas probably has the potential to be a better defensive C than Riberio ever was.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
How tall are you? I'm only asking so I can make your cross the appropriate size... :sarcasm:

Of course I kid, but that comparison might be a bit much. Yzerman was a dominant goal scorer in addition to his many other talents, so I'm not sure it's the best comparison. Linkin mentioned Krejci, which could be a good comparison, although Thomas seems to be a bit "shiftier" with his quick turns and skating. I wonder if he was inspired by Schwartz, because they both look similar on the cycle. Thomas looks great already, but I'd like to see him shoot just a bit more to keep the defense guessing. It's great to see him getting tougher D assignments and PK time as he develops into more of a two-way center, and who better to have as an example than ROR?

Edit: After wracking my brain to think of a good comparable to Thomas, what about Mike Riberio? Shifty pass-first player who also had great 1-on-1 moves, though Thomas probably has the potential to be a better defensive C than Riberio ever was.
Oates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad