Kraken 2024 draft

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Craig Button's newest list.

If Silayev would be available in that 10 - 12 range I'd like the Kraken to take him imediatly.
Though, IMO there's no way a 6'7 defender with his abilities will drop below the top five.

Anyways, he's russian so we probably don't have to talk about him anyways given that Francis has completely ignored russian prospects while with the Kraken.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While I have my own preferences, BPA doesn't mean much in this year's top-10. Beyond Celebrini, 2-10 could go in any order depending on who you ask.

The Kraken need elite players at every position. We aren't full anywhere.

Team need doesn't mean too much for us in the top 10.

I think once you get down to future 2Cs like Helenius, that's a case where you look at our lineup and you can pass. But any player with topline or top pair upside would be a godsend here.

If Silayev would be available in that 10 - 12 range I'd like the Kraken to take him imediatly.
Though, IMO there's no way a 6'7 defender with his abilities will drop below the top five.

Anyways, he's russian so we probably don't have to talk about him anyways given that Francis has completely ignored russian prospects while with the Kraken.

I've heard Silayev has a few years left on his KHL contract, I'm not sure about that but that sort of thing will definitely push him down some lists.

He's also shown very minimal offensive upside. The early season scoring was a fluke, there wasn't much skill behind it and the scoring has dried up.

Reactions: Kraken Jokes

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I can see Francis picking up Demidov but not Silyaev. Not that Demidov drops that far either. He definitely seems to focus on NA and Finnish players.

I would not be surprised if a team takes a chance on Eiserman OR even Iginla after pick #8. Some teams can draft need and pick up all of the D-men before #10. Who knows.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can see Francis picking up Demidov but not Silyaev. Not that Demidov drops that far either. He definitely seems to focus on NA and Finnish players.

I would not be surprised if a team takes a chance on Eiserman OR even Iginla after pick #8. Some teams can draft need and pick up all of the D-men before #10. Who knows.

Demidov is incredible. And the total package, very strong and adept in all zones. Can forecheck and hit too, if you want him to.

I don't see him falling very far, unfortunately. He's not like Michkov, doesn't have that contract issue, isn't tiny, isn't bad off puck.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
More from the Hockey Writers on Parekh and Silayev

Draft Rankings

I've heard Silayev has a few years left on his KHL contract, I'm not sure about that but that sort of thing will definitely push him down some lists.

He's also shown very minimal offensive upside. The early season scoring was a fluke, there wasn't much skill behind it and the scoring has dried up.

I've heard he has some offensive talent and skates very weill.
That sounds quite a bit like Simashev last year who went on the be drafted at #6 OVR.

Though, if we're in the 10 - 12 range and he's available I'd like for us to take him(depending on who else is available) but doubt it will happen given that Francis has completely stayed away from russians since the Russia/Ukraine war stated.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Cayden Lindstrom is a really intriguing player to me, looks like a total package power forward with good size. He plays in the other conference so chances to watch live are few if any, but I love forwards in that mold. Pity he'll be out of our reach.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cayden Lindstrom is a really intriguing player to me, looks like a total package power forward with good size. He plays in the other conference so chances to watch live are few if any, but I love forwards in that mold. Pity he'll be out of our reach.

Blazing fast too, scary hitter. The only way he makes it to the Kraken is if he has another back injury take him out of the WHL playoffs.

Reactions: sigma six

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The Kraken need elite players at every position. We aren't full anywhere.

Team need doesn't mean too much for us in the top 10.

I think once you get down to future 2Cs like Helenius, that's a case where you look at our lineup and you can pass. But any player with topline or top pair upside would be a godsend here.

Not sure about Silayev being a top 1-2 D-man in the NHL one day...as of right now he's contractually binded to Novgorod upto and including 2025-26

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure about Silayev being a top 1-2 D-man in the NHL one day...as of right now he's contractually binded to Novgorod upto and including 2025-26

I could maybe see him work as a #2 D next to an elite puckmover.

But the puck skills aren't advanced in any way. I'm imagining something like Oleksiak except actually good at defense. Silayev is outstanding defensively.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When I make mock drafts I often come back to Sam Dickinson to Seattle.

I can see him going in the latter part of the top 10, not because teams don't like him but because they're not over the top about him. He's the type of player that will be a lot of clubs 3rd or 4th favorite.

And then maybe this is unfair but I have this perception that Francis likes things a bit plain and generic and will settle for a two base hit. And we've seen him take fallers in the last couple drafts.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I can see him going in the latter part of the top 10, not because teams don't like him but because they're not over the top about him. He's the type of player that will be a lot of clubs 3rd or 4th favorite.

And then maybe this is unfair but I have this perception that Francis likes things a bit plain and generic and will settle for a two base hit. And we've seen him take fallers in the last couple drafts.
I think this is a little unfair to Francis. Does Sale or Firkus represent going for a two-base hit, or Wright for that matter. Sale especially was perceived as high risk/high reward at the time.

Generally I can't criticise his drafting. He seems to have built a pretty good prospect pool in only three drafts. There are areas where I am critical of Francis, but this isn't one of them.

Reactions: Kraken Jokes

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Unless the Kraken move up I don't think Dickinson will be available cause the Kraken won't go furhter down than 8th OVR and he probably won't be available there.

Though, I'd certainly like the kid just like a couple of other prospects.
That's why not going crazy(win wise) during those final nine games would be key for the Kraken in order to draft a potential top end prospect.

I think this is a little unfair to Francis. Does Sale or Firkus represent going for a two-base hit, or Wright for that matter. Sale especially was perceived as high risk/high reward at the time.

Generally I can't criticise his drafting. He seems to have built a pretty good prospect pool in only three drafts. There are areas where I am critical of Francis, but this isn't one of them.

Francis has gone the safe route with Beniers and Wright who both were the safe picks while the Yotes(for example) went for it drafting Cooley over Wright.

Taking a bit of a chance on a guy at #20 or in rounds 2 - 7 isn't something brave by a GM cause next to no one will ever hold you accoutable if guys picked in those spots don't really work out.

Overall Francis is a conservative GM not taking too many risks during the draft or in building the roster alltogether.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I agree on Sale, I had it in my mind as I was writing that it was probably unfair to Francis given that he just made a big home run swing on Sale (and likely missed). For me, Wright is an easy double.

Unless the Kraken move up I don't think Dickinson will be available cause the Kraken won't go furhter down than 8th OVR and he probably won't be available there.

Though, I'd certainly like the kid just like a couple of other prospects.
That's why not going crazy(win wise) during those final nine games would be key for the Kraken in order to draft a potential top end prospect.

Who do you see being available at #8? #9 and #10?

It's possible that Dickinson goes ahead of all of Catton, Iginla, Yakemchuk, and Buium, but I expect there will be teams that have their favorites in that group. It'll likely depend on the draft order.

Reactions: kihei

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I agree on Sale, I had it in my mind as I was writing that it was probably unfair to Francis given that he just made a big home run swing on Sale (and likely missed). For me, Wright is an easy double.

It's possible that Dickinson goes ahead of all of Catton, Iginla, Yakemchuk, and Buium, but I expect there will be teams that have their favorites in that group. It'll likely depend on the draft order.
I’d be thrilled if either Dickinson or Catton fell to the Kraken. Catton reminds me of Zach Benson in terms of being underrated.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d be thrilled if either Dickinson or Catton fell to the Kraken. Catton reminds me of Zach Bendon in terms of being underrated.

I've seen some mocks by very in the know people put Catton very low, and they mention concerns about his size. Which is a bit odd to me, he's 5'11 and a high end skater. Should be fine.

Benson though is a more unique player, always winning battles at both ends, amazing at forechecking, etc... Catton is probably going to end up more of a pure offensive player, that maybe needs some linemates to help with going to the dirty areas.

I like Catton for the Kraken though, he is so gifted offensively and we need that. He should end up stronger than Firkus and he is a better skater. I'm not sure that Catton won't end up being a point per game center.

Reactions: Kevinsane

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I've seen Dickinson go pretty high on a lot of lists but of course it's only the end of March and thinks will still change.
Especially after that U-18 tournament.

Overall I think guys like Catton(a bit smaller and not a sure fire center), Lindstrom(injury problems), Helenius, Eiserman and maybe Buium or Parekh could be available in the 8 - 12 range.

I think there's a good chance that we might see 4 - 5 defensemen taken in the 2 - 7 range.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've seen Dickinson go pretty high on a lot of lists but of course it's only the end of March and thinks will still change.
Especially after that U-18 tournament.

Overall I think guys like Catton(a bit smaller and not a sure fire center), Lindstrom(injury problems), Helenius, Eiserman and maybe Buium or Parekh could be available in the 8 - 12 range.

I think there's a good chance that we might see 4 - 5 defensemen taken in the 2 - 7 range.

Makes sense. And it's all fine to me, I like Lindstrom and Buium more than Dickinson. And Catton would be a great add too. If he's only an elite winger, well we could certainly use one of those.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Makes sense. And it's all fine to me, I like Lindstrom and Buium more than Dickinson and Catton would be a great add too. If he's only an elite winger, well we could certainly use one of those.

I think it's all up in the air with that U-18 tournament deciding a couple of things as scouts and GM's value that tournament a lot.

Though, if we could get Catton and he becomes a really good playmaking/scoring winger that would be great as well.

Just gotta be smart enough during those final nine games and not somehow start winning after not doing that during the first 73 games of the season.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Francis has gone the safe route with Beniers and Wright who both were the safe picks while the Yotes(for example) went for it drafting Cooley over Wright.

Taking a bit of a chance on a guy at #20 or in rounds 2 - 7 isn't something brave by a GM cause next to no one will ever hold you accoutable if guys picked in those spots don't really work out.

Overall Francis is a conservative GM not taking too many risks during the draft or in building the roster alltogether.
While I agree that in other aspects of roster building, Francis is conservative, I think your argument about him and the draft is rather extravagantly stacked against him. Before any argument can be put forward in his favour, you say we should eliminate all picks between the 2nd round and the 7th round on accountability grounds and then you include eliminating #20 Sale in the first round because he doesn't fit your argument. So his conservatism comes down to two picks: Beniers and Wright. Beniers was the unanimous choice for #2 pick. Probably every other GM in the league would have picked him in that spot. I personally would have thought Francis was crazy if he picked someone else. I would call his approach here not conservative but sane and rational. As for Wright, is he conservative or risky? Three other GMs passed on him, so with equally skewered logic, one could argue by the time we got around to choosing him, he was a risky pick, not a conservative one. In reality, I think you could better argue that once again Francis took the BPA. Again, is that conservative or just sound draft strategy? But to the larger point, if you have to eliminate all of his draft choices except for two players and claim nobody else counts, you really haven't provided a convincing argument about Francis' conservatism at the draft.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Just gotta be smart enough during those final nine games and not somehow start winning after not doing that during the first 73 games of the season.
Exactly! When I followed the Canucks they would do that seemingly EVERY SEASON that they were out of the playoffs. “Playing for pride”, or jobs, or respect, or because they were mad, etc., and end up drafting 16th instead of top five. It was maddening.

Reactions: tank44 and kihei

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad