Kraken 2024 draft

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm currently watching Zeev Buium and the Denver Pioneers in the NCHC semifinal game, on onhockey.

Zeev has a goal and an assist so far now halfway through the game. He is good. That is all for now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm currently watching Zeev Buium and the Denver Pioneers in the NCHC semifinal game, on onhockey.

Zeev has a goal and an assist so far now halfway through the game. He is good. That is all for now.

Two beautiful solo goals by Zeev "product of his team" Buium. He's going high.

Maybe I should find a player who isn't so obviously good for the Kraken to pick up.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Maybe I should find a player who isn't so obviously good for the Kraken to pick up.
Like to see the Kraken get Dickinson personally but Buium is an intriguing prospect who's 6 months Older than the London Knights Captain and Star D-man...both are LD-man which the Kraken need to build that side for sure...Dickinson most likely will be gone by the time the Kraken are up to "bat" though...if that's the case like to see the Seattle club take Jerome Iginla's son)Tij) cause he's going to be a great player like his Dad and the Kraken definitely don't have a player of his ilk rising up through the ranks

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Like to see the Kraken get Dickinson personally but Buium is an intriguing prospect who's 6 months Older than the London Knights Captain and Star D-man...both are LD-man which the Kraken need to build that side for sure...Dickinson most likely will be gone by the time the Kraken are up to "bat" though...if that's the case like to see the Seattle club take Jerome Iginla's son)Tij) cause he's going to be a great player like his Dad and the Kraken definitely don't have a player of his ilk rising up through the ranks

I like Tij Iginla but you could watch him all day and not see him go hard on the forecheck or lay someone out. He doesn't play like his dad. Not like his dad except for the goal scoring, which he is very good at. But I expect him to be more of an Eberle type player and not a power forward type.

As far as Buium vs Dickinson goes, my personal opinion is that Buium is the more high end guy. I think he's more likely to be a #1D than Dickinson. Buium is closer to Josh Morrissey (or maybe even Adam Fox, I really think Buium is special), while Dickinson is a lot like a Jay Bouwmeester or Noah Hanifin type guy. Big, fast, smart defensively, but no magic. At the same time Dickinson is a ready made top 4 D, his floor is super high. But for the Kraken I want to swing on upside.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I like Tij Iginla but you could watch him all day and not see him go hard on the forecheck or lay someone out. He doesn't play like his dad. Not like his dad except for the goal scoring, which he is very good at. But I expect him to be more of an Eberle type player and not a power forward type.

As far as Buium vs Dickinson goes, my personal opinion is that Buium is the more high end guy. I think he's more likely to be a #1D than Dickinson. Buium is closer to Josh Morrissey (or maybe even Adam Fox, I really think Buium is special), while Dickinson is a lot like a Jay Bouwmeester or Noah Hanifin type guy. Big, fast, smart defensively, but no magic. At the same time Dickinson is a ready made top 4 D, his floor is super high. But for the Kraken I want to swing on upside.
You are entitled to your opinion even if I think its... give the youngster Iginla time and same with Dickinson they have greatness written all over them and remember Tij will become a Workout fiend if he's not already...his game will become similar to his Dad's and he'll show that intensity that was trademark Jerome!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Like to see the Kraken have a shot at D-man Sam Dickinson and/or Forward Tij Iginla

Unless they move up in the lottery I doubt the Kraken will have a chance to get their hands on Dickinson who I expect going in the top five.

Iginla should be there, but probably won't be BPA when the Kraken draft, which I expect being in the 8 - 12 range.

If Buium is there the Kraken will probably look at him.

Though, I somehow get a feeling that we'll end up drafting Eiserman who seems to drop while I expect the Kraken to draft 10 - 12 given their easy schedule.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Though, I somehow get a feeling that we'll end up drafting Eiserman who seems to drop while I expect the Kraken to draft 10 - 12 given their easy schedule.

It looks like Eiserman will be available, and we have picked up fallers in back to back years - Wright and Sale. Though with Sale's very poor season I think they might re-evaluate some of their process. Maybe they'll give a higher weight to trajectory or consistent compete, which aren't Eiserman's strong suits.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Unless they move up in the lottery I doubt the Kraken will have a chance to get their hands on Dickinson who I expect going in the top five.

Iginla should be there, but probably won't be BPA when the Kraken draft, which I expect being in the 8 - 12 range.

Eiserman would be good/ perhaps even great but does he have character issues?

It looks like Eiserman will be available, and we have picked up fallers in back to back years - Wright and Sale. Though with Sale's very poor season I think they might re-evaluate some of their process. Maybe they'll give a higher weight to trajectory or consistent compete, which aren't Eiserman's strong suits.
Sale has been asked to play the LWing...he natural position is RWing so that may be the reason he's had a "poor" season...adjustments are tough and having to play in the cramped quarters of North American rinks too has had an adverse effect but he's a kid and will figure it out

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Yeah, I'm a bit uneasy on Eiserman as well(as I've stated before) but we'll first have to wait and see what position we end up drafting at and who's available at that point.

We are picking at #8 (if no one above us jumps in the lottery) at this time. My guess is we end up picking between 8 - 11 but 8 is the best case scenario.

I know we've been crap overall lately but that is the remaining schedule for the Kraken.

vs Montreal
vs Anaheim
vs Anaheim
vs Dallas
@ San Jose
@ Los Angeles
@ Anaheim
vs Arizona
vs San Jose
@ Dallas
@ St. Loius
@ Winnipeg
@ Minnesota

That's 3x Ducks, 2x Sharks(even though we seem to love losing in SJ), Arizona, Montreal.
Also, the last four games look tough on paper but all of those teams could have nothing to play for at that point.

I think that might stop us from finishing 8th worst and rather put us in the 10 - 12 range.

But of course, if we keep on scoring one goal per game we might still lose at least ten out of those 13 games...:joker:

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, I'm a bit uneasy on Eiserman as well(as I've stated before) but we'll first have to wait and see what position we end up drafting at and who's available at that point.

I know we've been crap overall lately but that is the remaining schedule for the Kraken.

vs Montreal
vs Anaheim
vs Anaheim
vs Dallas
@ San Jose
@ Los Angeles
@ Anaheim
vs Arizona
vs San Jose
@ Dallas
@ St. Loius
@ Winnipeg
@ Minnesota

That's 3x Ducks, 2x Sharks(even though we seem to love losing in SJ), Arizona, Montreal.
Also, the last four games look tough on paper but all of those teams could have nothing to play for at that point.

I think that might stop us from finishing 8th worst and rather put us in the 10 - 12 range.

Bjut of course, if we keep on scoring one goal per game we might still lose at least ten out of those 13 games...:joker:
I do consider 8 pretty unrealistic for us. 10-12 actually is what I expect too.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
My biggest hope is that they land Lindstrom, but I feel like they'd need some lottery luck for that to happen. My list for Seattle:

1. C Celebrini
2. C Lindstrom
3. LD Dickinson
4. F Catton (can he be a C in the NHL?)
5. RD Levshunov
6. LW Demidov
7. RD Parekh
8. LD Buium
9. C Helenius
10. LD Silayev

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My biggest hope is that they land Lindstrom, but I feel like they'd need some lottery luck for that to happen. My list for Seattle:

1. C Celebrini
2. C Lindstrom
3. LD Dickinson
4. F Catton (can he be a C in the NHL?)
5. RD Levshunov
6. LW Demidov
7. RD Parekh
8. LD Buium
9. C Helenius
10. LD Silayev

Fun hypothetical timeline:

Cayden Lindstrom returns soon but his back injury slows him for the rest of the season. As a result he tumbles to about pick 8 or 9, where the Kraken snap him up, and he puts his health issues behind him as he develops.

I think health concerns aside he's a fantastic prospect. He's not one of these big guys that a team hopes to push to become a physical beast. It comes naturally to him. He's always in the battle, in the corners, driving the net, throwing the body. From his interviews I think he's a real leader.

Reactions: Kraken Jokes

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I saw that this Yegor Surin 17 year old kid is 2 points per game for Loko in the MHL playoffs, and I looked up some video.

I was expecting another skilled one way Russian, but he looks like a total package center. Great strength, speed, quick pivots, I love the technique in battles and the defensive anticipation. I don't know if he'd be the best pick for us around #8-#11 but I'd at least have him top 15.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The more I think about it, the more I believe that Gourde should be moved in the draft. Get another first-round pick for him. Retain him if you have to, to maximize value.

We need more 1st round picks to stack up the talent, and Gourde is not going to be part of the core going forward, given his age. I want to move Tanev as well but I think he is more of a TDL sell for next season.

Next season is going to be a big one to show where our prospects stand. Wright will likely start in the NHL. Winterton, Morrison will have a chance to do that as well or continue developing in the AHL. Goyette, Firkus and Nyman will start in the AHL. I am really hoping some of these start lighting it up because we need for our prospects to start showing that they are close to contributing.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The more I think about it, the more I believe that Gourde should be moved in the draft. Get another first-round pick for him. Retain him if you have to, to maximize value.

We need more 1st round picks to stack up the talent, and Gourde is not going to be part of the core going forward, given his age. I want to move Tanev as well but I think he is more of a TDL sell for next season.

Next season is going to be a big one to show where our prospects stand. Wright will likely start in the NHL. Winterton, Morrison will have a chance to do that as well or continue developing in the AHL. Goyette, Firkus and Nyman will start in the AHL. I am really hoping some of these start lighting it up because we need for our prospects to start showing that they are close to contributing.
Like your thinking but I hope Nyman stays another year in Finland to get stronger and work on his all round game...I know he has increased his scoring prowess the last 2 years but another year in SM-Liiga won't hurt(just ask TSelanne) how staying put went for him?As for moving Gourde not sure there's a team out willing to surrender a first rounder maybe a 2nd rounder though and Tanev I think he will be bought out as his hasn't done much in the 3 years as a member of the Kraken save for last year

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Yeah, if someone's interested in Gourde and willing to part with a first round pick we should look at that.

I also think Tanev should be available given that I don't know many "energy guys" being effective(and healthy) during their mid 30's.

I hope we pick in the top 10. Celebrini is not going to happen, but I will be thrilled with any of the others.

----D----
Dickinson
Silayev
Levshunov
Buium
Parekh
Yakemchuck
---------

----F----
Celebrini
Lindstrom
Helenius
Catton
---------

A top ten(best case top eight) pick would be great to add to the prospect pool.

Though, we're abut two wins away from drafting 12th OVR, or so...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I hope we pick in the top 10. Celebrini is not going to happen, but I will be thrilled with any of the others.

----D----
Dickinson
Silayev
Levshunov
Buium
Parekh
Yakemchuck
---------

----F----
Celebrini
Lindstrom
Helenius
Catton
---------

It's turning into a strong draft in my opinion, at least 12 or 13 deep. Except for Eiserman, just about every one of them is improving before our eyes.

Did you intentionally exclude Demidov or Iginla?

Helenius is popping off in the Finnish league playoffs right now. I haven't liked the idea of him because he looks more like a 2C, no elite tools, and we seem to have 2C covered already. But it's hard to ignore play like this.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's turning into a strong draft in my opinion, at least 12 or 13 deep. Except for Eiserman, just about every one of them is improving before our eyes.

Did you intentionally exclude Demidov or Iginla?

Helenius is popping off in the Finnish league playoffs right now. I haven't liked the idea of him because he looks more like a 2C, no elite tools, and we seem to have 2C covered already. But it's hard to ignore play like this.

I forgot Demidov, but he would undoubtedly be on my list. I really like what I am reading about Iginla, and even though he is supposed to go in the 13-15 range in most drafts, I would not be too upset if we "reach" for him.

Reactions: majormajor

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
A couple of draft profiles from the Hockey Writers.

Reactions: Kraken Jokes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad