Post-Game Talk: Krak

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think they are physical in the sense they are crushing people or separating the man from the puck, it's more they get credited with hits after the opposing player already moved the puck.
Yeah. Stats can be misleading. Also the possession metrics that look so good. To me, those numbers just tell me the rangers are compelteing a lot of nice - but ultimately inconsequential- passes on the perimeter. Opponents have figured it out. If the team doesn’t start fighting for space in front of the net, it’s pretty pointless.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
On the flip side of that ....with the new NHL award up for grabs for best poke checker regular season......we have at least 3 who should be in the running for the inaugural trophy . We are so soft as a team and slow .
This is right in line with my critique of the offense as well. The offense - while talented - is predictable and, thus, easy to defend.
Likewise, the transition defense is predictable as well. And this is where the rangers often give up goals, on the counter attack.
(after spending a minute in the opponents zone impotently passing around the perimeter).
Rangers defenders skate at an attacker, pull up, and reach at them. They rarely mix it up with, say, a body check. Skate through the attacker rather than always resorting to the poke check.
Again, not saying they need to always sell out for the hit but, how about doing it occasionally. It will give the opponent something to think about.

Reactions: skipmowerman

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No coach can do it himself, it has to be an organizational thing, like from the top they decide to promote development among the younger players to the point the older players complaints go unrecognized.

That is not going to happen when the older guys take up ~80% of the cap space and are the ones being counted on to make the playoff$.

Does not mean a different coach would not change some stuff, yet fundamentally the organization would need to shift it's priorities.
I think this is it, in a nutshell.
No coach alone is going to fundamentally change things.
Torts or a Torts type would be gas on the little fire we’re experiencing now. Trotz, that would probably be just as bad. Certainly can’t throw an untested guy into that room. Quenneville is a non-starter, I’d say.

Reactions: Off Sides

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The Rangers simultaneously rush prospects while also not handing them the keys to drive the team. So they toil in the bottom of the lineup and are taught to be passengers.
It’s the system. Dubinsky Callahan Stepan Zucc Girardi Staal and others all flourished under Torts.

I just watched a Knicks game for the first time this season. They have no discernible offensive system. Just guys making really difficult one on one moves and forcing shots like 80% of the night. No one moves without the ball. And on D they give up far too many looks and easy buckets.

It was very reminiscent to what we’re looking at with the Rangers. Why is it so hard for us to score and why is it that the other team gets so many great looks and too much space?

It’s because we have orgs that prioritize individual players over team play. Is it that both teams defer to its highly paid vets? Is it coaches are being neutered because players are given too much say? I dunno. But it’s the same mindless crap going on at MSG no matter what floor is down. It’s odd that both groups have similar blind spots and kinda look the same out there. The sum doesn’t equal the parts when the sum should greatly exceed the parts.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You seriously do not understand the argument for playing the kids more in important situations?

Caufield and Dach sucked too. But now they are not sucking? Why? They sucked under shit coaches who sucked the oxygen out of their talents (see our kids currently). Now they are soaring because in MSL they have a coach that understands their games. Simple logic and observation. The Rangers management and coaches don't give a shit about the kids, they just want to promote their own careers, just like the coaches Caufield and Dach suffered under previously.

That’s not really it. It’s not having guys ahead of them to play in those big spots. No one to defer too and no pressure to win games. This was always going to be a problem. Teams that draft 1/2 aren’t supposed to have a Panarin Mika Kreider (Strome,Buchnevich) ahead of them. They’re supposed to be the go to guys out the gate. Learn on the job.

I have no doubt kakko and Laf have the talent still. What they don’t have is the confidence to do what they did their whole lives. Not sure that changes here. We’ll see. But until some of these top guys clear out. They won’t really be what they’re supposed to be

Reactions: skipmowerman

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Imo our biggest road block to success is the unwillingness to use Kreider at rw. Panarin Zib Kreider
Laf trochek Kakko
Blais Chyil Kravtsov
Vesey Goodrow Gauthier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad