Post-Game Talk: Krak

Status
Not open for further replies.

zukeisgone

Jan 17, 2019
Seattle has a deep roster about 8 of them on TML and they have a chance at the cup….I like there jerseys

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I blame that hippie loser playing his stupid guitar
Is he a loser because he is a hippie? Or is he a hippie because he is a loser? THAT is the question. NO. The real question is....."What in the hell happened to this Rangers team?" We are genuinely pathetic, and getting very concerned more and more each day.

Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's deeper than coaching.

This organization has a generational, systemic rot when it comes to developing forwards.

What's the problem? Even strength scoring. Ok.

Panarin is on pace for 45 even strength points. Kreider is absolutely fine. He drives play at even strength like he's in a bus. Always has, always will. If you're still on this Kreider trip, I feel bad for you. He's obliterated draft day expectations and put together an all-time great Rangers career, especially for an in-house forward. He's a star. Zibanejad doesn't have the production at ES but he's shooting like -2%.

It's not "the vets," guys. I know we don't want to admit that, but it's not.

It's the fact that the young cheap depth -everyone needs it- hasn't even stepped into effectiveness let alone top six roles.

I have my doubts about Lafreniere that I've spoken about but they can't all suck. Something is wrong here and they still haven't fixed it.

Zuccarello and Buchnevich are much better elsewhere and Zucc is old. He shouldn't be getting better. Only Kreider has really made it on this team since Rod f***ing Gilbert (which is why Kreider should be treated like a golden idol in my eyes but I digress). Even Kovalev, who was pretty f***ing good for us, was better elsewhere.

Some people don't believe it's possible that different people are making the same mistakes, and I guess we can agree to disagree. It's obvious to me that this organization has a failing mentality on young forwards that has permeated.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I don't think they are physical in the sense they are crushing people or separating the man from the puck, it's more they get credited with hits after the opposing player already moved the puck.

Yup I totally get that - I just still didn't think we hit that much lol

Cheers!

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

This organization has a generational, systemic rot when it comes to developing forwards.

Panarin is on pace for 45 even strength points. Kreider is absolutely fine. He drives play at even strength like he's in a bus. Always has, always will. If you're still on this Kreider trip, I feel bad for you. He's obliterated draft day expectations and put together an all-time great Rangers career, especially for an in-house forward. He's a star. Zibanejad doesn't have the production at ES but he's shooting like -2%.

It's the fact that the young cheap depth -everyone needs it- hasn't even stepped into effectiveness let alone top six roles.

I have my doubts about Lafreniere that I've spoken about but they can't all suck. Something is wrong here and they still haven't fixed it.

Zuccarello and Buchnevich are much better elsewhere and Zucc is old. He shouldn't be getting better. Only Kreider has really made it on this team since Rod f***ing Gilbert (which is why Kreider should be treated like a golden idol in my eyes but I digress). Even Kovalev, who was pretty f***ing good for us, was better elsewhere.

Some people don't believe it's possible that different people are making the same mistakes, and I guess we can agree to disagree. It's obvious to me that this organization has a failing mentality on young forwards that has permeated.
It’s both

Reactions: CLW

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The Rangers simultaneously rush prospects while also not handing them the keys to drive the team. So they toil in the bottom of the lineup and are taught to be passengers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers simultaneously rush prospects while also not handing them the keys to drive the team. So they toil in the bottom of the lineup and are taught to be passengers.
I would agree with this, especially in this case.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
60 min effort isn't a physical attribute. Going back to Quinn, how many games have we given up a goal at the beginning of a game or last 30 seconds of a period because of a mental error.

First goal of the game Schneider has all the time in the world to make a play and reverse the flow. Instead he does a no look bank off the side boards that was easily read. We have the same outlet scheme as AV's team. If the seam pass isn't open just grenade it off the boards.

Our 5v5 shot metrics are skewed by perimeter shots. Not to say we aren't finishing on high danger chances (Kaako and Tro) but our possession metrics don't factor in the mental mistakes leading to 3 or 4 breakaways or 2 on 1s a game. That sloppiness is killing us. How many times have left our goalie hanging out to dry with a bad turnover and our forwards have already left the zone.

Just look at Boston and the Perfection line. Bergeron and Marchand have average speed yet they have no problem moving the puck 200 feet. We are too slow mentally which is making us slower physically.

Once again with the caveat that these rankings may have changed. We were top 10 in HDCF% and GF%, I believe both are 5 on 5, definitely HDCF% and that looks at shot location.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

It's a trust issue. The organizational culture has always been "this place is for adults, kids have to know their place in our cultural hierarchy." Maybe this is not what they consciously put out, but it seems to permeate the place regardless. And if you want to go full conspiracy theory, maybe they don't want the bad optics/PR that the kids are doing the job and the vets, which the organization threw a lot of money at, are not.

It's also an organization that maybe refuses to accept or is denial about rebuilds. "We are the New York f***ing Rangers. We don't 'rebuild.' We 'regroup.' "

Look, the kids don't look unhappy. They're smiling and kicking the ball around with the vets before games.

Maybe it's guys like Andersson and Lundkvist who actually see what's wrong here. Maybe Laf and Kakko have already been brainwashed.

Last edited:

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I don't think Gallant is a bad coach, but it's possible he's not the right coach for this roster.

A "hands off" coach who isn't known for his X's and O's might be perfect for the Boston, TB's and Canes of the sport but you can fairly question if this team deserves that kind of trust.

Idk, my leash for coaches are longer than most so i'm not fully sour on GG yet. I just see the case for questioning his efficiency with this roster.

Reactions: Galvatron

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Jones, Kravtsov, Blais, and Laf have been disappointing so far. They all have an opportunity to improve as the season goes on before deadline rental season.

Trouba's been disappointing but you feel like that will course correct by the spring.

I've been perfectly happy with what we've gotten from Chytil and Kakko. They're playing good hockey for not seeing much of any PP time.

So far the big deficiencies have been

The 4th line when it includes Carpenter/Reaves
The Panarin line at even strength
The Miller-Trouba pairing
A season removed middling Shesterkin

And the aforemented kid's struggles

Those are the reasons NYR are struggling. If you'd told me to start the season that all that I just listed would be the story of the first quarter of the season, you bet your ass I'd take 20 points from the first 18 games. It's going to get better.

Finding the depth to remedy the 4th line with a passable combo of something like Blais-Goodrow-Vesey/Gauthier requires us to have a stable and consistent enough top 9 to put in front of them. That makes guys like Kravtsov and Laf have to provide something, or the entire roster takes a hit from the 2nd line all the way down by having to promote Goodrow/Vesey

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
The hockey media is pretty easy-going anymore as a culture, but they move as one. And they're going to zero in on these guys really, really soon. All of the young high draft picks on a huge market team that's supposed to be a contender accomplishing absolutely nothing? It's the best whodunit in the sport.

We need a distraction. We need the first female head coach in the NHL. We need Cassie Campbell

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd prefer a coach that plays modern day hockey.

The game has changed. We have not adapted.

If we want to play like Tampa, that's fine.... that requires structure/teamplay... Not our strong suit

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I'd prefer a coach that plays modern day hockey.

The game has changed. We have not adapted.

If we want to play like Tampa, that's fine.... that requires structure/teamplay... Not our strong suit
I also think that parity has never been greater and that the median skill level across the 32 teams is at an all-time high. The newer generations of players that have come out do some amazing shit and the few teams that can truly harness the talent they have are the successful ones. It's why so many teams are hovering around .500. We go into games with traditional floormat-type clubs thinking easy night, but each of these teams has good talent to some degree and it gets to shine through by outworking us combined with our apathetic play.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I don't think Trotz could do much better.....we've got too many players on the top lines that cannot or will not compete in the dirty areas.
On the flip side of that ....with the new NHL award up for grabs for best poke checker regular season......we have at least 3 who should be in the running for the inaugural trophy . We are so soft as a team and slow .

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I also think that parity has never been greater and that the median skill level across the 32 teams is at an all-time high. The newer generations of players that have come out do some amazing shit and the teams that can harness it are the successful ones. It's why so many teams are hovering around .500.
The flat cap is definitely promulgating it

I still believe we are under performing for the talent we have. We do not have structure. We do not know how to create as a unit. We're sloppy and uncoordinated. None of our young forwards are put in position to excel

We don't play like a team. It doesn't mean I want to play boring trap hockey but there needs to be some cohesion for the 5 players on the ice. Some form of baseline structure to adhere to. I do not know what we practice but if you ever watch a meth head walk, that's us but in hockey.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The flat cap is definitely promulgating it

I still believe we are under performing for the talent we have. We do not have structure. We do not know how to create as a unit. We're sloppy and uncoordinated. None of our young forwards are put in position to excel

We don't play like a team. It doesn't mean I want to play boring trap hockey but there needs to be some cohesion for the 5 players on the ice. I do not know what we practice but if you ever watch a meth head walk, that's us but in hockey.

I think we have talent, but we're smelling our own farts with a sense of entitlement for going 2 wins shy of a Cup Final, plus the talent gap against other teams maybe isn't as big as we think. Teams are improving big in talent year over year.

Not playing sound fundamentally is killing us. Playing with apathy and mentally slow is killing us. Also, I keep saying it, but every game feels like a carbon copy being played by automatons. Same routes, same passes, same failing breakouts. How many times do I have to keep watching Panarin pull up at the wall as others are skating out of the zone to go rinkwide with a pass?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know this has been a mediocre start and the final score flattered us but man if I didn't know better I'd think the Rangers lost this game 8-0 reading this thread. It's so depressing.

• Haha
Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad