Boston Globe KPD: It’s still not clear what Bruce Cassidy did wrong enough to get fired by the Bruins

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I'm sure most ST holders feel the same. I actually had ST back in 97 and all through the Jason Allison, Anson Carter, Byron Dafoe years. The games were fun even when the team wasn't good because we got to watch players like Samsonov and Thornton develop. I gave up my ST when I had kids, just too much going on.
I was a single Mom and when my daughter was small, we could barely afford NESN . When she graduated from college we purchased a 10 pack. The next year a 20 pack...We were trying to decide on if we should to go full season. The seats we wanted were someone's ST. They gave them up so we grabbed them. Back then the Garden wasn't full and there were not so many STH.

If folks don't want to spend money on tickets I am OK with that. I just get annoyed when they tell me I should give mine up because the Bruins suck and they feel if I give my seats up all will be fixed.

Anyway, I am keeping my seats as long as I can afford to (and it isn't easy) and I can do the drive to and from NH.

Paying full price for the pre-season irks me but I do enjoy going to see all of the young players.

I enjoy your posts. You are one of the best here.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I swear to god people need to stop with the Bedard stuff. Look at the Flyers or the Kraken or whatever and get some perspective

That’s not going to happen. And you know that.
Mid-2000s teams were close to 10000.

I literally bought 15-20 dollars tickets then could go up to the loge because no one was there.

A few bad seasons or bad trades (*cough cough* Pastrnak) could put the team in a bad place, fans stop going. And honestly, that's what lead to Chiarelli, Chara, and the Bruins 2006-2019ish. 2011 was amazing, but prices have never been the same ever since.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Probably because he said Bruins have the best fans in the world. Not sure why someone would want to leave a fanbase they value that high.
Besides Brendan Shanahan, what player is going to openly say anything bad about their fans?

I'm sure Pasta loves it here and the fans, but let's not pretend he wouldn't say the same if he had a similar situation elsewhere.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Besides Brendan Shanahan, what player is going to openly say anything bad about their fans?

I'm sure Pasta loves it here and the fans, but let's not pretend he wouldn't say the same if he had a similar situation elsewhere.
Could you imagine the hype that the Canadiens fans would go to if they had Pasta? It'd be a love-fest if he were there, especially if he spoke French. They would anoint him as the next coming....

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The press conference was stunning in how it gave no real reason

When asked if Bruce lost the room, Don denies it and says he got them to 107 points and the room was good
When asked if Bergy had any influence in it he said no and that Bergy has the utmost respect for Bruce
He said that everyone liked Bruce professionally and personally

So with all that in mind, why exactly did you fire him then?
Because someone needed to take the fall for Cam and my incompetence ..............from your favorite GM Donnie Sweeney.

Reactions: BMC

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
McAvoy developed into one of the best defensemen in hockey under Bruce.

The problem is that most of their prospects have sucked. You can't develop mediocrity (or worse) into viable NHL players.
No disrespect to a fellow lifer, but McAvoy should/would have developed under any good coach, he's a stud. Cassidy is the best coach of my lifetime(for the B's), but the new generation of young players requires a different tact. Young players make mistakes, Cassidy's reward/punishment ideology doesn't work with the youth of today. If you believe in a player, 10-20 games before being sat or sent down, doesn't work. It crushes confidence.

He is a scapegoat, for sure, but also if we are going to tear it down, a coach with more patience will be needed.(plus a GM that isn't blind to what over the hill means)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think one of the best ways to tell if the argument 'the coach doesn't develop players' holds any weight, is seeing what happens when prospects leave the organization and plays for another. Surely, if our coach mismanaged the player, then another coach and organization should do better?

Let's look at the young forwards the Bruins casted off during his time as coach.

Ryan Spooner- Not an NHL player
Anders Bjork - had his best season under Cassidy, can't score in Buffalo
Frank Vatrano - Found his niche, did better outside of Boston
Ryan Donato - Had a relatively decent season after going through two other organizations
Austin Czarnik - Classic AHL/NHL tweener
Peter Cehlarik - Not an NHL player
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - Not an NHL player
Zachary Senyshyn - not an nhl player
Brett Ritchie - I guess he is a 4th liner in Calgary?
Nick Ritchie - Had his best goal scoring season under Cassidy and best PPG, crapped out in Toronto, now with the Yotes
Ondrej Kase - 20 games in total including the playoffs, went to Toronto and did well. Hard to fault the coach on this one
Danton Heinen - Had his highest points total under Cassidy, scored the most goals this season with the Pens. Crapped out of the Ducks. Is he an NHL player who found some consistancy or going to have another down year next time? Can Bruce be blamed for it?
Karson Kuhlman - nothing to see here

When you look at this list, and what these players have done outside of Boston, I am not sure what there was to develop here?

Vatrano, Donato, and Heinen might be the only players from this list where you COULD make the argument that maybe the coach could've done better. I wouldn't make that argument, but I can see it.

Looking at this list of forwards, I am left to wonder what are people thinking if they feel he could do better with this youth?
If I were a head coach and looked at this list, I’d probably go home to my wife and say “Honey, I think my GM is shit at his job. Don’t get too settled in. We’re going to be moving soon.”

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Seems like most of the media members and bruins official “insiders” liked Cassidy and are reacting to this emotionally and taking this firing personally. If KPD can’t find a handful of reasons on why Cassidy was fired he’s not looking hard enough…. Or at all.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What a weird take.
I agree to an extent.

I think the sentiment is strange that somehow Cassidy was the only thing keeping the Bruins from being a perennial loser. No one has any criticisms all of the sudden? I have a list. Not to say that he didn’t do well here and everything was awful either. But a coaching change was something I was honestly hoping for.

It’s just that in my fantasy, it was the lot of them going. The whole loser crew. And that the replacements would be coming in from outside the organization.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I agree to an extent.

I think the sentiment is strange that somehow Cassidy was the only thing keeping the Bruins from being a perennial loser. No one has any criticisms all of the sudden? I have a list. Not to say that he didn’t do well here and everything was awful either. But a coaching change was something I was honestly hoping for.

It’s just that in my fantasy, it was the lot of them going. The whole loser crew. And that the replacements would be coming in from outside the organization.

I don't think any media member is taking it personally. I think they're incredulous because they can see why this actually happened and why Sweeney's incoherent explanation made no sense.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I agree to an extent.

I'm not Boston Media but....

I was not a big fan of Cassidy getting the job, or Sweeney for that matter. It took a few phone calls and conversations with @DKH for me to say "okay, give it a shot".

I was talking to @Alicat just the other day about this. In 2015 I was adamant that Neely/Sinden had to go and man did I take a lot of heat here and in other places for that. It has now come full circle.

Yes, there was 2019. But I keep reading here that they didn't have to go through Tampa or Washington so....

What I have learned from that is to let the pieces fall will they will and see what happens. The only thing I am curious about right now is Sweeney's contract length. If it's only a year, I imagine Jacobs has him on a very short leash. He allowed him to fire the coach so it's only natural he's next in line. If it's more that a year, well they have more faith in him than I thought.

As for Cassidy, he's already received calls about a head coaching job, including from at least one team who still has their coach.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think his firing was just a simple case of them knowing they aren't going to be too good and are going to need kids playing the coach just isn't a patient fan of that.

I've said it a million times with the Bruins that goes back to Yelle and Begin. If you want the kids to play, for the love of God stop spending money to bring in your 9th-12th forwards. Would the team been that much different if you just went with Studnicka and Steen over Nosek and Foligno? Any coach in the world, who is judged on results is going to go with a stable veteran with a high floor. Don't give them the opportunity, don't sign them.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Could you imagine the hype that the Canadiens fans would go to if they had Pasta? It'd be a love-fest if he were there, especially if he spoke French. They would anoint him as the next coming....
Pasta just has LA written all over him IMO. He's so charismatic Would be a great cameo actor as well. 8/80 and he stays a Bruin

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think his firing was just a simple case of them knowing they aren't going to be too good and are going to need kids playing the coach just isn't a patient fan of that.

I've said it a million times with the Bruins that goes back to Yelle and Begin. If you want the kids to play, for the love of God stop spending money to bring in your 9th-12th forwards. Would the team been that much different if you just went with Studnicka and Steen over Nosek and Foligno? Any coach in the world, who is judged on results is going to go with a stable veteran with a high floor. Don't give them the opportunity, don't sign them.
Agree for the most part Lou, especially the part about not bringing vets in if the plan is to integrate kids.

But, the message starts from the top. Is the message to win now? Then, it's the vets. Is the message to play and bring along kids? Then as you say, stop bringing in these vets and go that route.

It's funny that the best GM in hockey, who is in the midst of a rebuild with an huge amount of young players has already had a conversation with Butch about the head coaching job, because I keep reading here that he can't coach young players.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
And I think you overestimate Frederic's natural abilities. It seems we both agree he's not exactly the toughest guy when it comes to the mental aspect of the game, though.
That is the part of his game, IMO that needs to be worked on! That said, 11 could easily give more in an environnement that does not sit him each time he makes a mistake.

Pasta just has LA written all over him IMO. He's so charismatic Would be a great cameo actor as well. 8/80 and he stays a Bruin
Bold part is suited to Pasta. The guy is really charismatic.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Agree for the most part Lou, especially the part about not bringing vets in if the plan is to integrate kids.

But, the message starts from the top. Is the message to win now? Then, it's the vets. Is the message to play and bring along kids? Then as you say, stop bringing in these vets and go that route.

It's funny that the best GM in hockey, who is in the midst of a rebuild with an huge amount of young players has already had a conversation with Butch about the head coaching job, because I keep reading here that he can't coach young players.
That’s fine. Maybe it’ll work. It certainly didn’t work here to an extent. Just seemed Sweeney and Cassidy didn’t have the same vision.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Cassidy to DET DT5!

Cassidy to DET DT5!

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
What a weird take.
KPDs is questioning why Bruce got the axe. If we are being honest there are several reasons. If you google some articles about Cassidy getting fired the sentiment around the media guys is very similar. I don’t blame them Cassidy was for the most part an open book and probably got them a lot more clicks then normal. Hell I don’t read KPD anymore and I read this article.

I would say Sweeney didn’t do himself or Cassidy any favors by brining in all the vets to fill out the bottoms half of the roster.

With all respect Dom I disagree on the win now vs rebuild aspect. Teams can integrate young players and have them develop at the same time like the Rags. I think the leash was too short for these guys under Bruce we saw it all too often where one mistake or a bad game would lead to the press box or being benched. It’s one thing to want to win now but it’s a long season and unless the younger guys have time to grow and learn from their mistakes without the fear of being benched or sent down to providence I don’t think you’ll see success from the vast majority of our prospects. If we had some guys on ELCs that you could pencil into the bottom six that would free up capspace for higher end talent in the top 6. It’s obviously a balancing act, and if Cassidy knew the heat was on I can see why he played the vets Sweeney brought in. Plenty of blame to go around, but I am hopeful and excited about the prospect of a new voice in the room hopefully someone that is a bit more player friendly so the young guys can play their game, be creative, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes and improve.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I watched Ken Holland's interview yesterday and he said it himself. In a cap system you need guys internally pushing for larger roles every year. You can count the number of 1-way contracts on a team and pretty much project the roster before training camp even begins.

I'm not saying leave 4-5 forward spots up for grabs every year. But do they need 13 or 14 forwards on 1-way contracts?

What sort of message did it send to the young forwards in the organization when last year you saw them protect Trent "Healthy Scratch" Frederic and extend him. Then go out on FA day and sign Haula, and Nosek, and Foligno. And this after bringing in Lazar and Hall. And Smith in FA back in the fall. That's 7 Forwards in less than a calendar year. These kids aren't stupid they can access Cap Friendly too and can likely count to 23.

I always found it strange how they didn't seem to mind going with the kids on D back in January 2021. But heaven forbid they let the kids play LW or RW at the NHL level. The horror.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm not Boston Media but....

I was not a big fan of Cassidy getting the job, or Sweeney for that matter. It took a few phone calls and conversations with @DKH for me to say "okay, give it a shot".

I was talking to @Alicat just the other day about this. In 2015 I was adamant that Neely/Sinden had to go and man did I take a lot of heat here and in other places for that. It has now come full circle.

Yes, there was 2019. But I keep reading here that they didn't have to go through Tampa or Washington so....

What I have learned from that is to let the pieces fall will they will and see what happens. The only thing I am curious about right now is Sweeney's contract length. If it's only a year, I imagine Jacobs has him on a very short leash. He allowed him to fire the coach so it's only natural he's next in line. If it's more that a year, well they have more faith in him than I thought.

As for Cassidy, he's already received calls about a head coaching job, including from at least one team who still has their coach.
My question is why you fire the coach and the GM only gets a one year contract , then the new GM has a coach that he did not hire.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was a single Mom and when my daughter was small, we could barely afford NESN . When she graduated from college we purchased a 10 pack. The next year a 20 pack...We were trying to decide on if we should to go full season. The seats we wanted were someone's ST. They gave them up so we grabbed them. Back then the Garden wasn't full and there were not so many STH.

If folks don't want to spend money on tickets I am OK with that. I just get annoyed when they tell me I should give mine up because the Bruins suck and they feel if I give my seats up all will be fixed.

Anyway, I am keeping my seats as long as I can afford to (and it isn't easy) and I can do the drive to and from NH.

Paying full price for the pre-season irks me but I do enjoy going to see all of the young players.

I enjoy your posts. You are one of the best here.
there are many posters here who likely weren`t/aren`t old enough to be fans to recall those days when the "Garden wasn`t full"

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
there are many posters here who likely weren`t/aren`t old enough to be fans to recall those days when the "Garden wasn`t full"
To me it wasn't all that long ago. I have had my seats for 20 years and for the first few it was never full. Folks from the balcony would come down to the loge.

When I first had my ST (second row from the ice) the front row (ice level) seats near me had STH that had the seats for years (some since the old Garden). They were diehard fans who knew their Bruins and hockey.

A few years after I got my ST the first row (that were $5 more than my seats) doubled in price. After a few years most STH were priced out. Some got seats elsewhere that were cheaper.

There were 8 seats as my section is split in half by the tunnel. Now there are 10 seats as two extra were added.

In the front row the 2 seats in front of us still are owned by the same guy but he never comes. Thankfully, he sells to good folks. 6 of the 10 seats are owned by a corporation. Sometimes you get rich pink hats that are annoying as hell. One lady on the aisle still has the seats but only comes to a few games. She is nice and sells to good fans.

One of the longest STH I know is @DKH, who has great seats right behind the goal. You all know Dan is a real fan of the game.

My favorite seats at the Garden are the two in front of us. They are first row and right next to the bench. You can see the whole ice and see and hear stuff from the bench. My seats right behind are obstructed view when the Bs are on the bench. We cannot see the far corner. I love sitting there though. I could not afford the front row.

For those "fans" hoping people will stop buying tickets to the games...good luck with that. If the Bs suck for a few years, it will take time for there to be no "waiting" list for ST. The Bs haven't been a bad team for years. They are certainly not among the worst.

I would hope most here want a good team in Boston but sometimes it feels like some are happier when they fail.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad