Boston Globe KPD: It’s still not clear what Bruce Cassidy did wrong enough to get fired by the Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1654632929111.png

1654633242046.png

The core issue remains that when Papa Jacobs wants hockey advice he calls Harry.​

When the GM comes to such a decision, it’s time to change either the players or the coach — and Sweeney went with the latter. Let that serve as a caveat emptor for Cassidy’s successor. Expect too much out of the working help, make them feel uncomfortable, perhaps insecure … and, boy, don’t let the penalty box door hit you on the way out of the arena.

Cassidy, 57, will be quick to find work. Again, look at the math.

In the three seasons he coached a full 82-game schedule, his messaging was good enough for the Bruins to average 50 wins and deliver 109 points. In his 5½ seasons overall, the Bruins played in 12 playoff series, and came within a stick-length or two of beating the Blues for the title here in Game 7 of the 2019 Cup Final.

The only other coach on the market right now with better creds is Barry Trotz, who won a Cup with the Capitals in 2018. Trotz was canned on Long Island six weeks ago by GM Lou Lamoriello.

“I believe,” Lamoriello said as he turfed Trotz, “this group of players needs a new voice.”

Man, that sounds familiar.

In both cases, Sweeney and Lamoriello came up with an easy, tried-and-true excuse. Their teams disappointed — the Islanders more than the Bruins — and the coach took the fall.

Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, still watching from his corporate office in Buffalo, has gone along with the decision, said Sweeney. His absentee boss, whose own messaging often has been the dickens to decipher, obviously feels OK with what’s gone on here.

For now.

Though the day could come, noted a candid Sweeney, when his own messaging and decision making won’t play well anymore in Buffalo.

“One of the best parts about working for this organization is to be held to that standard — knowing that you have the full latitude to make the recommendation on decisions that you think are right,” he said. “And then when they’re not, they get somebody else. That’s as categorically honest as I can possibly be. That’s as black and white as it is.”

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Everything with this club right now us about Bergerons decision. It’s the one tipping point that will determine the direction of everything going forward. KPD loves Cassidy. Seems like a lot of fans here do too…

No way in hell would Bergeron throw Cassidy under the bus, but also no way in hell Sweeney isn’t aware of the dynamic between Cassidy and his players.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Cassidy for his sake it is the best time to get fired now no matter how much it hurts now,
he will have an opportunity to coach and up and coming team in Detroit.
the bruins since 2019 have lost : chara, krejci, rask, most likely bergeron now
mCavoy & marchand won't be around until Decemeber 2022.
what a mess the new coach has on his hands.
bruins will be in full rebuild mode.
suggestion is to trade all your older veterans for draft picks, tank finish 32 in league and draft connor bedard.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
2024 version of bruins ;
connor bedard ( hopefully )
fabian lysall
mason lohrei,
charlie McAvoy,
hamphus lindholm
jake debrusk
david pastrnak
brandon carlo
jereemy swayman
( the new core of 9 )

Reactions: bbfan419

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I wonder how long is this dead horse is going to continue to be ridden to death.

Agree or not Sweeney had his reasons....handling of young players, end of period meltdowns, needed different style/voice.

Coaches get fired. Popular coaches get fired. Move on.

Should it have been Sweeney/Neely? Not the point. Point is all have a job to do, and when your boss feels you are not doing what they think you should be doing, it's their decision to make. Not the players, not the fans, not the media.

Coaches have the shortest leash and are easiest to replace. Move on

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The press conference was stunning in how it gave no real reason

When asked if Bruce lost the room, Don denies it and says he got them to 107 points and the room was good
When asked if Bergy had any influence in it he said no and that Bergy has the utmost respect for Bruce
He said that everyone liked Bruce professionally and personally

So with all that in mind, why exactly did you fire him then?

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sure, why do you think Pastrnak will resign here after next year?
Sweeney: Hey David I know you want $9 million but we're really tight against the cap with the Lindholm deal and everything, would you take a hometown discount?
Pasta: I really like it here, the fans are great, so I'm open to that. But now that there's a coaching change can you guarantee me that I'll be back on the Bergeron line?
Neely: Actually...Bergeron is going to retire
Pasta: ...I see....well, at least I'll be playing with Marchy, right?
Sweeney: Well, uh, he's out until January with hip surgery
Pasta: Oh. But you're going to sign a top center for me to play with, no?
Sweeney & Neely: *silence*
Pasta: Who is our #1 center going to be?
Sweeney: .....it's Erik Haula
Pasta: This negotiation is over

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Probably because he said Bruins have the best fans in the world. Not sure why someone would want to leave a fanbase they value that high.

And when the inevitable finally happens and Boston sucks ass, that “best fan base” will be about 5-10k on a good night.

Money talks. Success talks. Play for a team going down the drain? Or sign somewhere on the up and up.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
CamSweeney narrative is clear

Cassidy = "Don you gave me little to work with, and we still made the playoffs. Give me a chance to make adustments and finish out my contract"

Sweeney = "No"

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
2024 version of bruins ;
connor bedard ( hopefully )
fabian lysall
mason lohrei,
charlie McAvoy,
hamphus lindholm
jake debrusk
david pastrnak
brandon carlo
jereemy swayman
( the new core of 9 )
I swear to god people need to stop with the Bedard stuff. Look at the Flyers or the Kraken or whatever and get some perspective

And when the inevitable finally happens and Boston sucks ass, that “best fan base” will be about 5-10k on a good night.

Money talks. Success talks. Play for a team going down the drain? Or sign somewhere on the up and up.
That’s not going to happen. And you know that.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What part isn’t going to happen? I probably was hyperbolic on the attendance numbers but the fair weather fans will bail on this team like they do the Red Sox and Celtics when they’re not good for consistent periods of time.
The attendance is way off. It’s funny when so many (not you of course) want the Bruins to tank and then this kind of argument surfaces.

You see them trade Pasta and McAvoy and Swayman then we have an argument.

Go look at the Flyers and the Wings and the Isles and tell me we’re that bad (with 73 and 88 of course)

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The attendance is way off. It’s funny when so many (not you of course) want the Bruins to tank and then this kind of argument surfaces.

You see them trade Pasta and McAvoy and Swayman then we have an argument.

Go look at the Flyers and the Wings and the Isles and tell me we’re that bad (with 73 and 88 of course)

Definitely off by a good number. I’d say they would be in the 14-17k range, comparing it to past poor attendance seasons for the bruins — correlating with bad teams.

Bruins are not Top 5 bad with the talent they have healthy. Next year missing so many top players for a good portion could make things interesting. But that’s only if Bergeron leaves and the bruins don’t do anything FA/trade wise. They’re not bottom of the barrel bad. If they’re in the Top 3-5 of the lottery, the hockey gods were with them and they moved up a bit.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Definitely off by a good number. I’d say they would be in the 14-17k range
Got a long way to go before we get to that. There’s a huge waiting list for tickets. And this idea that we are so close to tanking for Bedard is so ignorant - just look at the other teams in East. Not you again but this woe is me circular reasoning drives me crazy

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Got a long way to go before we get to that. There’s a huge waiting list for tickets. And this idea that we are so close to tanking for Bedard is so ignorant - just look at the other teams in East. Not you again but this woe is me circular reasoning drives me crazy

I added a bit more to my post but it didn’t translate over to the post you responded to.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Again, Mods: I would like to post across relevant threads. If that's a problem, okay.

HF Lifers:

Recorded before Tuesday's press conferenece, Bruins Beat, one of the most consistently excellent, independent sources for all things Bruins, posted this podcast.

I haven't even watched the whole thing, yet feel compelled to share here,

I couldn't say it any better than host Evan Marinofsky and frequent guest Conor Ryan

Boston Sports Journal

Boston's fast-growing, fully-credentialed, flying-everywhere collection of professional journalists covering Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and more…
www.bostonsportsjournal.com

Confused? Pissed off?

You should be.

This thing has been a slow motion train wreck for nearly SEVEN years. To quote Bowie, "Where Are We Now?"

Do you know? Do they know?

I now have zero respect for Sweeney and Neely.

They've proven themselves poor managers and disappointing human beings.

I used to esteem both players, and revered Cam. Not only as a player, but as a person.

Those days are gone.

I have harped repeatedly, annoyingly, about "Sinden/OC Redux." I apologize for that, but look at this honestly, and tell me you see something -- anything -- worthy of endorsement here.

I call them the Stockholm Twins for a reason.

Filling the regular season stands, which may prove difficult next season, and round one gate are all that ultimately matter. I think everyone understands why.

Over & Out for the moment, to the relief of many, I'm sure.

• Love
Reactions: Midship and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
On attendance....

The only time Bruins attendance became alarming was in the early 50's when television became the rage.

@BMC - They gave up competing against Ed Sullivan and started most home Sunday games at 10 PM - They also put a few games on Channel 7 to woo customers back.

1654643853873.png

I see the possible problem being in 2006 ticket prices were still reasonable - 2022 not so much.

1654643179034.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad