Boston Globe KPD: It’s still not clear what Bruce Cassidy did wrong enough to get fired by the Bruins

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If getting younger is the plan, then Cassidy's approach, which works with a competitive veteran squad, won't work with a young team, IMHO. Expect a tear down if Pasta leaves.

McAvoy developed into one of the best defensemen in hockey under Bruce.

The problem is that most of their prospects have sucked. You can't develop mediocrity (or worse) into viable NHL players.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
On attendance....

The only time Bruins attendance became alarming was in the early 50's when television became the rage.

@BMC - They gave up competing against Ed Sullivan and started most home Sunday games at 10 PM - They also put a few games on Channel 7 to woo customers back.

View attachment 556958

I see the possible problem being in 2006 ticket prices were still reasonable - 2022 not so much.

View attachment 556955

And here I am bitching about 8PM starts :laugh: :wally:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Everything with this club right now us about Bergerons decision. It’s the one tipping point that will determine the direction of everything going forward. KPD loves Cassidy. Seems like a lot of fans here do too…

No way in hell would Bergeron throw Cassidy under the bus, but also no way in hell Sweeney isn’t aware of the dynamic between Cassidy and his players.

I don't love Cassidy at all. I would have had zero problem with him being fired when the Bruins were playing so badly last season. That's when a new voice could have made a difference.

Firing him now though? It's just a band aid on a wound that requires a tourniquet. Sweeney basically threw him to the wolves in order to save his own ass. Neely's too.

The one good thing is if the team continues its decline Sweeney will not be able to blame the coach for a third time, it will be obvious even to Jacobs that the problem is in the front office. Three strikes and you're out.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

The problem is that most of their prospects have sucked. You can't develop mediocrity (or worse) into viable NHL players.
I think it's fair to say though that he's developed Dmen pretty well, just doesn't seem to have a long enough leash when it comes to forwards.

I keep thinking about how good Frederic was playing for a stretch then how tentative he was after he got benched for that dumb penalty. Need to let guys make mistakes and grow, can't always rely on benching guys and shit talking them in media hoping they learn.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wonder how many empty seats get their attention... because even when the Bruins finished dead last in the league, in 97, they only dropped to 15,500. They never really go below 15,000.

Maybe not the number of empty seats but a big drop off in season ticket holders??? Wasn't that what got their attention after the lockout???

Reactions: Gordoff

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think it's fair to say though that he's developed Dmen pretty well, just doesn't seem to have a long enough leash when it comes to forwards.

I keep thinking about how good Frederic was playing for a stretch then how tentative he was after he got benched for that dumb penalty. Need to let guys make mistakes and grow, can't always rely on benching guys and shit talking them in media hoping they learn.

Jesus if a single benching can ruin you for a season and a half you weren't going to make it anyway.

Frederic's issues are Frederic's issues, not Bruce's. And the issue is he's not very good.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Jesus if a single benching can ruin you for a season and a half you weren't going to make it anyway.

Frederic's issues are Frederic's issues, not Bruce. And the issue is he's not very good.
It wasn't a season and a half, he was benched near the end of this season and looked like a completely different player once coming back.

I think you underestimate the mental strain of being continually benched for small mistakes, this wasn't the first or 2nd or even 3rd time he'd planted Freddy to the bench. Easy to be a tentative player and overthink on ice decisions when you know you have no rope

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I find with Butch his message is less about teaching and more about simply sitting whomever and expecting that as the teachable moment. Too often we have seen a young player make a mistake whether that be take a bad penalty (Frederic comes to mind) or an ill advised pass/poor positioning etc....and that player never see`s the ice again. To me, a message could be sent by skipping that player a few times in the line rotation then putting them back out there but that isn`t Butch`s way, repetition of the same mistakes however I totally understand earn someone a permanent seat on the bench or on the 9th floor or whatever it is

Butch doesn`t sit the D-men as often simply because there are only 6 of them and shifting to 5 during a game can be super taxing on those 5, easier to do with a forward. While I appreciate Butch`s candor, I am one who doesn`t feel he needs to stand in front of a mic and toss players under the bus as often as he did

Butch wasn`t/isn`t my favorite coach, has his warts, I would have preferred waking up to the news that all of the Prez/GM and Coach were gonzo but that wasn`t happening

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It wasn't a season and a half, he was benched near the end of this season and looked like a completely different player once coming back.

I think you underestimate the mental strain of being continually benched for small mistakes, this wasn't the first or 2nd or even 3rd time he'd planted Freddy to the bench. Easy to be a tentative player and overthink on ice decisions when you know you have no rope

And I think you overestimate Frederic's natural abilities. It seems we both agree he's not exactly the toughest guy when it comes to the mental aspect of the game, though.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
And I think you overestimate Frederic's natural abilities. It seems we both agree he's not exactly the toughest guy when it comes to the mental aspect of the game, though.
I mean I'm not trying to say he could have been a 1st line stud under a different coach, my original point being Bruce clearly knows how to develop D, but always struggled with forwards. Sure, maybe our prospects aren't that good, but he clearly gives Dmen more slack than forwards and I think thats why he's had more success on developing D.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Steen, Stud and Freddy make a much bigger impact under a new coach.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I mean I'm not trying to say he could have been a 1st line stud under a different coach, my original point being Bruce clearly knows how to develop D, but always struggled with forwards. Sure, maybe our prospects aren't that good, but he clearly gives Dmen more slack than forwards and I think thats why he's had more success on developing D.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Steen, Stud and Freddy make a much bigger impact under a new coach.

I sure as shit will be.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I agree that players need to be allowed to play through mistakes. It was an issue with Claude and continued, especially later on in his tenure, with Cassidy.

However, Frederic is not a good example IMO, as he's just not a good player to begin with. Low IQ player.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I agree that players need to be allowed to play through mistakes. It was an issue with Claude and continued, especially later on in his tenure, with Cassidy.

However, Frederic is not a good example IMO, as he's just not a good player to begin with. Low IQ player.
Fair, maybe he was a poor example, Steen also got stapled to the bench, then when he was sent back down to the AHL (which he was playing very well in before the call up) he seemed to have completely lost his confidence.

Why do we also assume players get benched for one mistake? We might notice it happening after a particular gaffe, but its far more likely that player has screwed up the exact same thing previously and/or was warned about it.

These guys are professional athletes, not ten-year-olds.
Exactly. If you make a mistake in your job do you get a time out? I used to see players get benched all the time when I was 10, I doubt it has the same effect on an adult.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Fair, maybe he was a poor example, Steen also got stapled to the bench, then when he was sent back down to the AHL (which he was playing very well in before the call up) he seemed to have completely lost his confidence.

Exactly. If you make a mistake in your job do you get a time out? I used to see players get benched all the time when I was 10, I doubt it has the same effect on an adult.
Steen had gone ice cold before he got sent down.

Reactions: LSCII

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

McAvoy is an exception to the rule, was great stepping into a playoff series as an 18 yo.

Gryz, Carlo are probably better examples in pro Bruce camp. Players seemed to have taken some different development tracks between Prov under Leach vs BOS under Bruce.

Agree that Freddy is just a shit player, Studnicka really hasn't been given a fair shake this is 100% a fact. Steen probably would have been in the lineup, he was a victim of the waiver wire song and dance.

Blidh has an honest gripe, he should have been playing.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

I think one of the best ways to tell if the argument 'the coach doesn't develop players' holds any weight, is seeing what happens when prospects leave the organization and plays for another. Surely, if our coach mismanaged the player, then another coach and organization should do better?

Let's look at the young forwards the Bruins casted off during his time as coach.

Ryan Spooner- Not an NHL player
Anders Bjork - had his best season under Cassidy, can't score in Buffalo
Frank Vatrano - Found his niche, did better outside of Boston
Ryan Donato - Had a relatively decent season after going through two other organizations
Austin Czarnik - Classic AHL/NHL tweener
Peter Cehlarik - Not an NHL player
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - Not an NHL player
Zachary Senyshyn - not an nhl player
Brett Ritchie - I guess he is a 4th liner in Calgary?
Nick Ritchie - Had his best goal scoring season under Cassidy and best PPG, crapped out in Toronto, now with the Yotes
Ondrej Kase - 20 games in total including the playoffs, went to Toronto and did well. Hard to fault the coach on this one
Danton Heinen - Had his highest points total under Cassidy, scored the most goals this season with the Pens. Crapped out of the Ducks. Is he an NHL player who found some consistancy or going to have another down year next time? Can Bruce be blamed for it?
Karson Kuhlman - nothing to see here

When you look at this list, and what these players have done outside of Boston, I am not sure what there was to develop here?

Vatrano, Donato, and Heinen might be the only players from this list where you COULD make the argument that maybe the coach could've done better. I wouldn't make that argument, but I can see it.

Looking at this list of forwards, I am left to wonder what are people thinking if they feel he could do better with this youth?

Last edited:

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I don't love Cassidy at all. I would have had zero problem with him being fired when the Bruins were playing so badly last season. That's when a new voice could have made a difference.

Firing him now though? It's just a band aid on a wound that requires a tourniquet. Sweeney basically threw him to the wolves in order to save his own ass. Neely's too.

The one good thing is if the team continues its decline Sweeney will not be able to blame the coach for a third time, it will be obvious even to Jacobs that the problem is in the front office. Three strikes and you're out.
I have to assume he sees what's going on and just doesn't care. Because the alternative, him being totally obtuse when it comes to how poorly management is running his team, is INFURIATING. Either way, he's an awful owner

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

If I keep making the same mistake over and over I get fired. Most jobs don't come with guaranteed contracts within a closed market that features a salary cap.

Reactions: NDiesel

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Depends on the coach but if its someone like Leach who coached Studnicka to his best performance to date and had Frederic folding grown men in the AHL then its pretty good odds.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I went to all but 4 of the Bs home games this season at the Garden (and 4 away games which the Bs won 3 of) and the Garden was full. Even the away games we went to there were quite a few Bruins fans there.

I understand there is still a waiting list for ST.

It would take a few years of suckage for the numbers to go down. What some here fail to see is that the Bruins are NOT one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Most of the STH l know are there through thick and thin and mostly enjoyed this season. Form Jan until they were out the Bs were pretty entertaining. NONE of us are going to give up our ST because a few on a hockey board tell us that it is our fault, and we should stop buying our seats.:rolleyes:. The seats we gave up would be resold in 24 hours. Giving up my seats would hurt me more than the Garden.

I want to see things better and holes in the lineup fixed. I hope the Bs can get it together because it IS more fun when the Bs win.

Hey @DKH, are you going to opening game?

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I'm sure most ST holders feel the same. I actually had ST back in 97 and all through the Jason Allison, Anson Carter, Byron Dafoe years. The games were fun even when the team wasn't good because we got to watch players like Samsonov and Thornton develop. I gave up my ST when I had kids, just too much going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad