Boston Globe KPD: It’s still not clear what Bruce Cassidy did wrong enough to get fired by the Bruins

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I watched Ken Holland's interview yesterday and he said it himself. In a cap system you need guys internally pushing for larger roles every year. You can count the number of 1-way contracts on a team and pretty much project the roster before training camp even begins.

I'm not saying leave 4-5 forward spots up for grabs every year. But do they need 13 or 14 forwards on 1-way contracts?

I always found it strange how they didn't seem to mind going with the kids on D back in January 2021. But heaven forbid they let the kids play LW or RW at the NHL level. The horror.

I agree with the first part, but I would argue the Bruins' drafting necessitated the need to sign these guys and go in that direction.

Take a look at the forwards drafted after 2015 at the start of the season

NHL
Trent Frederic

AHL
Joona Koppanen, Oskar Steen, Jack Studnicka, Jakub Lauko, Curtis Hall,

College
John Beecher, Quinn Olson, Jake Schmaltz, Trevor Kuntar, Riley Duran

Europe
Matias Mantykivi, Oskar Jellvik

CHL
Fabian Lysell, Brett Harrison,

USHL
Andre Gasseau

Not with the Bruins
Cedric Pare, Pavel Shen

There were no kids other than Studnicka at the start of the year who had any promise of playing in the NHL. Lauko, Hall, and Koppanen? No chance.
Steen had a kind of break through season after two below average ones.

I don't really see which youth they should've went with. Injuries happened, Studnicka and Steen got some chances but didn't stick.

The Bruins had to sign forwards because of bad drafting and trading away picks

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
To me it wasn't all that long ago. I have had my seats for 20 years and for the first few it was never full. Folks from the balcony would come down to the loge.

When I first had my ST (second row from the ice) the front row (ice level) seats near me had STH that had the seats for years (some since the old Garden). They were diehard fans who knew their Bruins and hockey.

A few years after I got my ST the first row (that were $5 more than my seats) doubled in price. After a few years most STH were priced out. Some got sets elsewhere that were cheaper.

There were 8 seats as my section is split in half by the tunnel. Now there are 10 seats as two extra were added.

In the front row the 2 seats in front of us still are owned by the same guy but he never comes. Thankfully, he sells to good folks. 6 of the 10 seats are owned by a corporation. Sometimes you get rich pink hats that are annoying as hell. One lady on the aisle still has the seats but only comes to a few games. She is nice and sells to good fans.

One of the longest STH I know is @DKH, who has great seats right behind the goal. You all know Dan is a real fan of the game.

My favorite seats at the Garden are the two in front of us. They are first row and right next to the bench. You can see the whole ice and see and hear stuff from the bench. My seats right behind are obstructed view when the Bs are on the bench. We cannot see the far corner. I love sitting there though. I could not afford the front row.

For those "fans" hoping people will stop buying tickets to the games...good luck with that. If the Bs suck for a few years, it will take time for there to be no "waiting" list for ST. The Bs haven't been a bad team for years. They are certainly not among the worst.

I would hope most here want a good team in Boston but sometimes it feels like some are happier when they fail.

I remember those days too, was in college at that time and took many trips up for games. Especially the old deal they had (I believe it was Thursday night games) where balcony seats were $10 for college students.

Or the gimmick they ran for a bit of "come to the game and stay for a short concert right after!", distinctly remember Dropkick Murphys playing that gig a few times

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with the first part, but I would argue the Bruins' drafting necessitated the need to sign these guys and go in that direction.

NHL
Trent Frederic

AHL

College

Europe

CHL

USHL
Andre Gasseau

Not with the Bruins
Cedric Pare, Pavel Shen

There were no kids other than Studnicka at the start of the year who had any promise of playing in the NHL. Lauko, Hall, and Koppanen? No chance.

I don't really see which youth they should've went with. Injuries happened, Studnicka and Steen got some chances but didn't stick.

And your not wrong. The poor drafting has been an issue with having a steady stream of young players to be incorporated into the line-up.

I'm just fundamentally against deciding your opening night line-up in July. Leave a spot open, give the young players a brass ring to compete for.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I remember those days too, was in college at that time and took many trips up for games. Especially the old deal they had (I believe it was Thursday night games) where balcony seats were $10 for college students.

Or the gimmick they ran for a bit of "come to the game and stay for a short concert right after!", distinctly remember Dropkick Murphys playing that gig a few times
The games before Thanksgiving buy one seat get one for free.

The stuff for the STH was way better. Now it is junk.

I remember they gave STH a password to get $10 seats before the season. A couple STHs got pissed off at me for giving the password to some posters here. They got some sweet deals.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
When we first bought our seats in 07 we took two in section 16 because that end of the ice was.....ready for this..buy one get one free. ( after a year we moved to what is now section 7)

in many games we were surrounded by fans of the visiting team, and more than a few games were played with all the atmosphere of a crypt

the signing of Z and Savvy changed all of that ( once Dave Lewis was turfed) ....and with the better team came the slow and steady decline In STH treatment ...as others have written, if and until the team bottoms out and ownership is forced into action the song is not going to change

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think his firing was just a simple case of them knowing they aren't going to be too good and are going to need kids playing the coach just isn't a patient fan of that.

I've said it a million times with the Bruins that goes back to Yelle and Begin. If you want the kids to play, for the love of God stop spending money to bring in your 9th-12th forwards. Would the team been that much different if you just went with Studnicka and Steen over Nosek and Foligno? Any coach in the world, who is judged on results is going to go with a stable veteran with a high floor. Don't give them the opportunity, don't sign them.

Especially when you're telling your coach you are a contender.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
To me it wasn't all that long ago. I have had my seats for 20 years and for the first few it was never full. Folks from the balcony would come down to the loge.

When I first had my ST (second row from the ice) the front row (ice level) seats near me had STH that had the seats for years (some since the old Garden). They were diehard fans who knew their Bruins and hockey.

A few years after I got my ST the first row (that were $5 more than my seats) doubled in price. After a few years most STH were priced out. Some got sets elsewhere that were cheaper.

There were 8 seats as my section is split in half by the tunnel. Now there are 10 seats as two extra were added.

In the front row the 2 seats in front of us still are owned by the same guy but he never comes. Thankfully, he sells to good folks. 6 of the 10 seats are owned by a corporation. Sometimes you get rich pink hats that are annoying as hell. One lady on the aisle still has the seats but only comes to a few games. She is nice and sells to good fans.

One of the longest STH I know is @DKH, who has great seats right behind the goal. You all know Dan is a real fan of the game.

My favorite seats at the Garden are the two in front of us. They are first row and right next to the bench. You can see the whole ice and see and hear stuff from the bench. My seats right behind are obstructed view when the Bs are on the bench. We cannot see the far corner. I love sitting there though. I could not afford the front row.

For those "fans" hoping people will stop buying tickets to the games...good luck with that. If the Bs suck for a few years, it will take time for there to be no "waiting" list for ST. The Bs haven't been a bad team for years. They are certainly not among the worst.

I would hope most here want a good team in Boston but sometimes it feels like some are happier when they fail.
great post as always

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Would the team been that much different if you just went with Studnicka and Steen over Nosek and Foligno? Any coach in the world, who is judged on results is going to go with a stable veteran with a high floor. Don't give them the opportunity, don't sign them.

I've been saying this for years as well. And in this case it wasn't like Nosek and Foligno were defensive stalwarts that were shutting down the other team. They weren't bringing a punishing physical game for the most part.

But in some key situations in the playoffs and in the regular season Nosek and Foligno found themselves with Grade A scoring chances and they basically flubbed them all.

Guarantee if you give Studnicka or Steen the 2 on 1s, the half breakaways, slot shots, etc that Nosek/Foligno had the young kids would've scored. Doubt I'd want both on the same line but definitely could've been sprinkled in the bottom 6.

And if they had a full regular season to get up to NHL speed I don't think they would've been worse defensively than Nosek or Foligno were in the POs.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

NHL
Trent Frederic

AHL

College

Europe

CHL

USHL
Andre Gasseau

Not with the Bruins
Cedric Pare, Pavel Shen

The Bruins had to sign forwards because of bad drafting and trading away picks
I`m one who thinks the B`s are using the youth being served BS as a cover, I think the vets in this lineup are tired of Butch, Cam and DS bought in

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com

It's not so much that we want our team to fail. We've had a pretty solid run of hockey the past 15 years. Many of us are diehard's who've attended games when the Garden was barely full and still repped the B during downtimes. I can't speak for others, but there is a deep passion for the squad and there's nothing wrong with expecting the same excellence that Sweens yapped about the other day.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It's not so much that we want our team to fail. We've had a pretty solid run of hockey the past 15 years. Many of us are diehard's who've attended games when the Garden was barely full and still repped the B during downtimes. I can't speak for others, but there is a deep passion for the squad and there's nothing wrong with expecting the same excellence that Sweens yapped about the other day.
I agree with most of this. Also, I don't recall that you are one of the more negative posters.

I would love for them to win the cup every year (who doesn't want this of their team?)

Now, I hope they can win another in my lifetime.

Reactions: Trizz617

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
I agree with most of this. Also, I don't recall that you are one of the more negative posters.

I would love for them to win the cup every year (who doesn't want this of their team?)

Now, I hope they can win another in my lifetime.
Respect due Ladyfan. I'm pretty certain that most of us want the team to perform well, and won't just abandon ship when things sour. We do get loud though...lol.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I watched Ken Holland's interview yesterday and he said it himself. In a cap system you need guys internally pushing for larger roles every year. You can count the number of 1-way contracts on a team and pretty much project the roster before training camp even begins.

I'm not saying leave 4-5 forward spots up for grabs every year. But do they need 13 or 14 forwards on 1-way contracts?

What sort of message did it send to the young forwards in the organization when last year you saw them protect Trent "Healthy Scratch" Frederic and extend him. Then go out on FA day and sign Haula, and Nosek, and Foligno. And this after bringing in Lazar and Hall. And Smith in FA back in the fall. That's 7 Forwards in less than a calendar year. These kids aren't stupid they can access Cap Friendly too and can likely count to 23.

I always found it strange how they didn't seem to mind going with the kids on D back in January 2021. But heaven forbid they let the kids play LW or RW at the NHL level. The horror.
What’s strange about that? They obviously had more confidence in their Dmen making the jump to regular player than their F’s. Not strange at all.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What’s strange about that? They obviously had more confidence in their Dmen making the jump to regular player than their F’s. Not strange at all.

What I find strange about it is D is a harder position to play. I think it's a tougher position to integrate young D-men.

Wingers to me don't have any near as tough an assignment breaking into the NHL. As a coach I would be much more comfortable breaking in a young winger than a young D-man, all things being equal.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So, I have watched B’s fans and the media largely go bonkers for the last couple of days and I wanted to give my observations. Take them for what they are worth 🤣

Right off the top I want to make it clear that I am not a Sweeney apologist and think he can do no wrong. He has made his fair share of mistakes and as the GM is also the one responsible for mistakes he didn’t make (like bad scouting recommendations). The drafting has been below average and the free agent signings horrible at times. I believe the Bruins pro scouts have been a problem for awhile now, given the poor “fits” for both FA’s and trade acquisitions. It’s Sweeney’s responsibility to fix that and I don’t think he has.

On the flip side, his extensions for players already here have been phenomenal for the most part. The college FA signings have been excellent and the team has been one of the best in the league during his tenure. If you paid attention you would also see that he has expanded the scouting and support staff almost every year he’s been GM (is he picking the wrong scouts?). Imo, he has made enough mistakes to be let go, but he’s not the trainwreck that fans and a lot of media would have you believe. And he’s certainly not a moron (a popular opinion of late).

I think Cassidy is a very good (not great) coach. He has been extremely successful during the regular season and took the B’s on that one long run in 2019 where they came up just short. That said, I’m not sure why there has been the insane amount of angst about Cassidy being fired there has been.

Were there flaws in the rosters he had to coach? Absolutely. There are not many teams that don’t have any holes. However, this idea that Cassidy was given crap rosters that he was somehow magically able to turn into great teams is ridiculous. I would also contend that at times, Cassidy exacerbated the flaws in the roster by insisting on keeping 3 of his 4 best F’s on one line for the majority of his tenure as coach. One reason the Top 6 lacked depth was missing on FA’s and poor drafting (on Sweeney), but the bigger reason was Cassidy’s refusal to drop Pastrnak down to play with Krejci. He was just as responsible as Sweeney was for Kuhlman and Backes being on Krejci’s wing.

I think the biggest reason for all the outrage the last couple of days is because Cassidy is one of the more open coaches you will find. He is candid and willing to give the fans and media more than the vast majority of coaches. That’s a good thing for reporters because it makes their job significantly easier and it’s a good thing for some fans because it makes them feel as if they are part of the process. His style makes you feel like you are behind the scenes, privy to “insider” information, and part of the team.

That’s great, but the other side of that is the affect it has on the players. I have never been a fan of publicly criticizing players. To me, it’s counter productive and a last resort tactic before a player is moved/let go. If you want to let a player have it in the privacy of your office, have at it. In my opinion, some of the criticisms that Butch routinely gave in his postgame media sessions is one of the primary reasons he was fired (not the only one). It’s also the reason (imo) that a bunch of the media has been acting like sullen fans and not objective reporters the last few days. (Shout out to Mick Colageo for not being one of those people. You should read the excellent article he did yesterday about the situation if you haven’t already).

A lot of people read this and say, pffffft. How soft is that? These guys are professionals that get paid a lot of money and they should be able to take it. I used to feel like that when I was a younger fan, but with all due respect, that’s one of the dumbest ideas I have heard. How many of you would enjoy it if instead of speaking with you privately, every Friday your boss put together an email of your shortcomings at your job and emailed it to the rest of your company? Sounds like fun.

I would say that people in any field perform their best when they enjoy coming to work, regardless of how much money they make. These pros all talk to one another and at some point in their careers have choices about where they can play. Most of them want to win, but they also probably want to like going to work too.

The other big reason I believe Cassidy was fired was because of his lack of patience with younger players. Some will push back on this and say that Sweeney has not provided enough young talent and that he has signed a lot of Bottom 6 veteran types so there weren’t a lot of spots. Both are true, and the first part is definitely on Sweeney and the scouts. However, the second part is kind of a chicken/egg, cart/horse argument.

Two seasons ago, the B’s left F spots open for the younger guys and nobody took advantage. Lack of talent was part of it, but I also think Cassidy’s lack of patience and demeanor were a big part. Young players would make a mistake and not see the ice the rest of the game. Coaches are paid to win, so I get it, but at the same time they are also paid to develop young players so they can win more later in the season. Imo, that is not a strength of Cassidy’s and why you saw Sweeney sign veteran Bottom 6 guys this past offseason. Why leave open spots if integrating youngsters into the lineup is not a strong suit of your coach? Chicken/egg.

There are other issues I had with Cassidy. His line management and in-game adjustments were not stellar and I believe he was out-coached in several of the playoff series they lost. At the end of the day, he was a good coach, but I think he was wearing on players (and possibly other coaches) and it was time for a new direction. I believe that there are a number of other coaches out there who can be successful in Boston. Which one they select is probably going to be based in large part on whether or not Bergeron returns and if they want to make one more run.

People have short memories sometimes. I remember the last time the Bruins fired a coach and there were a lot of similar reactions. It seems like so long ago that Sweeney fired Clode and replaced him with the unproven Cassidy. So many questions at the time, but for the most part, it worked out. I’m hoping for the same again.

Also, in closing, I have seen a lot of stuff about Cassidy being the best Bruins coach people have seen in their lifetime. Maybe if you are 10 🤣. Julien had a similar regular season winning percentage AND he won a Cup. Better coach than Butch imo and when he left, it was time to go as well. It happens.

Enjoy your day.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So, I have watched B’s fans and the media largely go bonkers for the last couple of days and I wanted to give my observations. Take them for what they are worth 🤣

Right off the top I want to make it clear that I am not a Sweeney apologist and think he can do no wrong. He has made his fair share of mistakes and as the GM is also the one responsible for mistakes he didn’t make (like bad scouting recommendations). The drafting has been below average and the free agent signings horrible at times. I believe the Bruins pro scouts have been a problem for awhile now, given the poor “fits” for both FA’s and trade acquisitions. It’s Sweeney’s responsibility to fix that and I don’t think he has.

On the flip side, his extensions for players already here have been phenomenal for the most part. The college FA signings have been excellent and the team has been one of the best in the league during his tenure. If you paid attention you would also see that he has expanded the scouting and support staff almost every year he’s been GM (is he picking the wrong scouts?). Imo, he has made enough mistakes to be let go, but he’s not the trainwreck that fans and a lot of media would have you believe. And he’s certainly not a moron (a popular opinion of late).

I think Cassidy is a very good (not great) coach. He has been extremely successful during the regular season and took the B’s on that one long run in 2019 where they came up just short. That said, I’m not sure why there has been the insane amount of angst about Cassidy being fired there has been.

Were there flaws in the rosters he had to coach? Absolutely. There are not many teams that don’t have any holes. However, this idea that Cassidy was given crap rosters that he was somehow magically able to turn into great teams is ridiculous. I would also contend that at times, Cassidy exacerbated the flaws in the roster by insisting on keeping 3 of his 4 best F’s on one line for the majority of his tenure as coach. One reason the Top 6 lacked depth was missing on FA’s and poor drafting (on Sweeney), but the bigger reason was Cassidy’s refusal to drop Pastrnak down to play with Krejci. He was just as responsible as Sweeney was for Kuhlman and Backes being on Krejci’s wing.

I think the biggest reason for all the outrage the last couple of days is because Cassidy is one of the more open coaches you will find. He is candid and willing to give the fans and media more than the vast majority of coaches. That’s a good thing for reporters because it makes their job significantly easier and it’s a good thing for some fans because it makes them feel as if they are part of the process. His style makes you feel like you are behind the scenes, privy to “insider” information, and part of the team.

That’s great, but the other side of that is the affect it has on the players. I have never been a fan of publicly criticizing players. To me, it’s counter productive and a last resort tactic before a player is moved/let go. If you want to let a player have it in the privacy of your office, have at it. In my opinion, some of the criticisms that Butch routinely gave in his postgame media sessions is one of the primary reasons he was fired (not the only one). It’s also the reason (imo) that a bunch of the media has been acting like sullen fans and not objective reporters the last few days. (Shout out to Mick Colageo for not being one of those people. You should read the excellent article he did yesterday about the situation if you haven’t already).

A lot of people read this and say, pffffft. How soft is that? These guys are professionals that get paid a lot of money and they should be able to take it. I used to feel like that when I was a younger fan, but with all due respect, that’s one of the dumbest ideas I have heard. How many of you would enjoy it if instead of speaking with you privately, every Friday your boss put together an email of your shortcomings at your job and emailed it to the rest of your company? Sounds like fun.

I would say that people in any field perform their best when they enjoy coming to work, regardless of how much money they make. These pros all talk to one another and at some point in their careers have choices about where they can play. Most of them want to win, but they also probably want to like going to work too.

The other big reason I believe Cassidy was fired was because of his lack of patience with younger players. Some will push back on this and say that Sweeney has not provided enough young talent and that he has signed a lot of Bottom 6 veteran types so there weren’t a lot of spots. Both are true, and the first part is definitely on Sweeney and the scouts. However, the second part is kind of a chicken/egg, cart/horse argument.

Two seasons ago, the B’s left F spots open for the younger guys and nobody took advantage. Lack of talent was part of it, but I also think Cassidy’s lack of patience and demeanor were a big part. Young players would make a mistake and not see the ice the rest of the game. Coaches are paid to win, so I get it, but at the same time they are also paid to develop young players so they can win more later in the season. Imo, that is not a strength of Cassidy’s and why you saw Sweeney sign veteran Bottom 6 guys this past offseason. Why leave open spots if integrating youngsters into the lineup if it’s not a strong suit of your coach? Chicken/egg.

There are other issues I had with Cassidy. His line management and in-game adjustments were not stellar and I believe he was out-coached in several of the playoff series they lost. At the end of the day, he was a good coach, but I think he was wearing on players (and possibly other coaches) and it was time for a new direction. I believe that there are a number of other coaches out there who can be successful in Boston. Which one they select is probably going to be based in large part on whether or not Bergeron returns and if they want to make one more run.

People have short memories sometimes. I remember the last time the Bruins fired a coach and there were a lot of similar reactions. It seems like so long ago that Sweeney fired Clode and replaced him with the unproven Cassidy. So many questions at the time, but for the most part, it worked out. I’m hoping for the same again.

Also, in closing, I have seen a lot of stuff about Cassidy being the best Bruins coach people have seen in their lifetime. Maybe if you are 10 🤣. Julien had a similar regular season winning percentage AND he won a Cup. Better coach than Butch imo and when he left, it was time to go as well. It happens.

Enjoy your day.
Fantastic!

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Two seasons ago, the B’s left F spots open for the younger guys and nobody took advantage. Lack of talent was part of it, but I also think Cassidy’s lack of patience and demeanor were a big part. Young players would make a mistake and not see the ice the rest of the game. Coaches are paid to win, so I get it, but at the same time they are also paid to develop young players so they can win more later in the season. Imo, that is not a strength of Cassidy’s and why you saw Sweeney sign veteran Bottom 6 guys this past offseason. Why leave open spots if integrating youngsters into the lineup is not a strong suit of your coach? Chicken/egg.

Enjoy your day.
This is a very well thought out and excellent post. Please post more often. This board needs more posts like yours.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What I find strange about it is D is a harder position to play. I think it's a tougher position to integrate young D-men.

Wingers to me don't have any near as tough an assignment breaking into the NHL. As a coach I would be much more comfortable breaking in a young winger than a young D-man, all things being equal.
I agree, but I also think the B’s had more talent on D and also a sound team defensive structure to slot those young guys into.

Reactions: BruinDust

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Unless I’m wrong, one Bruins coach in history has made it into year 7 without winning a Stanley cup. Don’t think Bruce was good enough to break that streak.

This strikes me as an owner move not a Sweeney move.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
bruins have had great runs since 2010.
12 years and counting. Always in the mix. But there are 32 teams, only one stands at the end.
2011 - win cup vs vancouver
2019 - another great opportunity one game short at home in game 7. This one is the one that will
haunt Cassidy until eternity.
players come and go but thru it all the bruins have had great goaltending. Tim Thomas, Tuuka Rask
if Jeremy Swayman is the real deal the bruins will still be strong if not it will be a long grind ahead
i believe to win in the NHL in a salary cap world you need a top 5 goalie or your not winning the cup.
Andrei Vasilevsky is a top goalie
Carey Price is a top goalie when he played the year before Canadiens went to final this past season
did not play canadiens finished 32nd.
edmonton have McDavid & Dreisatl but no goaltending. If they figure out they need a goalie they will win

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
First off excellent post, secondly, this section quoted above is 100% accurate and really does fit in with what we've seen, this has been one of the more peculiar cases of the intown media jumping down the throat of a management team (who certainly deserves their fair share of criticism) for firing a coach for justifiable reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad