Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk retires

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If the Flames didn't exist, I'd probably have been a Devils fan growing up. Scott Stevens was always one of my favorite players.

It gets the Devils out of their money situation for the time being... However, a few years ago, I closely followed the Ilya saga when he was signed/annulled/signed etc... and honestly, it's a complete joke that he's retired from the NHL.

I mean, he's still in his prime... one of the top players in the league... and now he's going back to Russia to play out probably.

I feel bad for the Devils, truly bad. They won't get that first back; they get less love from the league/people than Calgary does... so you can all put that into perspective...

Marty's done after this season probably... Zubrus and Elias are truly on their last legs... They got Ryder and Clowe this off-season on pretty bad deals... I mean, ****. I don't see a quick fix for this team.

It's unfortunate, but while I feel bad for their fans, I don't feel bad for the team. They put themselves in this situation.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You misunderstand; they're not paying $250K a year, they're being penalized $250K against the cap every year until 2025. Essentially, the Devils will operate under a cap $250K lower than everyone else, because the space is being taken up by the cap recapture penalty.

And while Kovalchuk hurts the team's competitiveness short term, he also just saved his owner $11M in real money next season, and $56M over the next 5 years - which is big deal for the financially troubled owner of the team. Retiring at this point in addition also saves the Devils from a much worse cap recapture penalty down the road. There's a reason New Jersey doesn't appear upset about this whatsoever, and moreover, is actually letting Kovalchuk play in the KHL next season.

Basically, it's a win/lose-win/lose. Kovalchuk loses credibility, but will make a lot more money playing in his home country. The Devils take a big step back in terms of competitiveness, but they also save a ton of money now, and in terms of cap space in the future.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was nothing more than a clever loophole found by Lou and the Devils. Instead of buying out Kovalchuk and having to spend of bunch of real money that way, they simply get him to retire - Kovalchuk gets the opportunity to go back the Russia for a year, make a lot more money, play in the olympics, and then is free to come back to the NHL after next season to sign with what ever team he wants to. The Devils meanwhile are free to go in another direction.

To further support my point:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: 5. Kovalchuk is, at face value, leaving $77M on the table but he'll get that, and then some if he chooses, in the KHL.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: 6. When all is said and done, as big a short-term hole as Kovalchuk's departure leaves in NJ, it's a divorce of convenience for both sides.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: For those asking, VAN/Luongo could technically do this (as I understand it) so long as player is prepared to NOT get $ owed him. #nochance

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's unfortunate, but while I feel bad for their fans, I don't feel bad for the team. They put themselves in this situation.

I mean, they didn't invent the front-loaded deal. Nor did they invent giving stupid-long deals... they're just the ones that really put it all together.
More than likely, had NY, Toronto, Montreal, Washington or Pittsburgh given the same deal, on the same term; they would not have been punished by the league.

Pretty much a mix of bad contract, bad league reputation and just overall misfortune on all sides.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This is so funny and sad. They lose their first this year because of Kovy and now he leaves meaning they could finish last and not get to us the high pick. I feel terrible for NJD fans.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Who has Kovalchuk as their keeper? Poor guy :(

On a sidenote, financially the team likely doesn't mind, despite selling merchandise, it is likely not having to pay his contract more than makes up for loss of sales. Its been 2 years, people have already bought all his merchandise anyways.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
In other news.

He's about to be the highest played hockey player in the world according to reports. That's nice.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Meh. McDavid will be a superstar but remember that a team with two superstars got manhandled by a strong all around team in the Bruins. Remember what happened when we tried to build around one superstar? Yeah...

chicago has 2 superstars. we have none at the moment

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I believe all 30 teams have to vote to allow him to return to the Devils if that fails I think he becomes a UFA but he has to wait at least a year #hearditonHF

Cool. Would that then reenact his contract with the devils?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I feel really bad for Devils fans but I don't think Kovy did anything wrong.

I disagree.

I really have no problem with him bailing the NHL for more money in the KHL and I can understand him wanting to play at home, but as a courtesy he could have announced the decision prior to the draft or free agency to give the Devils organization a chance to fill in any void left by his absence. Yes, Jersey is in a bit of a financial bind and I'm not saying they could have used the money saved on some big name free agents, but it would have changed their strategy. Maybe they would've traded their 1st rounder for a forward instead of going for Schneider or even kept it since they don't have one for 2014.

And like Bob McKenzie said, while the news did come out of nowhere, it's not really that much of a surprise if you think about it. He was pretty reluctant to leave the KHL once the lockout ended and made no effort to hide that and combined with the fact that they weren't in the playoffs for the last 2 months, it's not like it was something he had to think long and hard about.

He put the organization that paid him well in a bad position.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I disagree.

I really have no problem with him bailing the NHL for more money in the KHL and I can understand him wanting to play at home, but as a courtesy he could have announced the decision prior to the draft or free agency to give the Devils organization a chance to fill in any void left by his absence. Yes, Jersey is in a bit of a financial bind and I'm not saying they could have used the money saved on some big name free agents, but it would have changed their strategy. Maybe they would've traded their 1st rounder for a forward instead of going for Schneider or even kept it since they don't have one for 2014.

And like Bob McKenzie said, while the news did come out of nowhere, it's not really that much of a surprise if you think about it. He was pretty reluctant to leave the KHL once the lockout ended and made no effort to hide that and combined with the fact that they weren't in the playoffs for the last 2 months, it's not like it was something he had to think long and hard about.

I think the Devils wanted this, and I would bet the planned it or created it. Its no secret they're struggling financially and Kovy won't put them into the playoffs.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I disagree.

The same org that terminated his contract no questions asked? If they truly felt that they were being victimized they would have said or done anything to stop it but instead they voided his contract almost conveniently as they are in serious money trouble and he was due 11 million this year. It seems pretty obvious to me that both sides wanted out.

I also don't get how a team can buy a player out or bury them in the minors because of poor play and that is just business but when a team goes a drastic change such as the devils (losing the face of the franchise and captain in Praise) because they couldn't afford to keep him that if Kovy wants out he is somehow a bad guy. Both the team and player signed the contract expecting the player to be a top offensive player and the Devils to be a playoff team one lived up to his side the other not so much.

I think Kovy talked to the team which is why they brought in Clowe and Ryder to replace the offense lost by Kovy and let the Devils get out of terrible contract.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think the Devils wanted this, and I would bet the planned it or created it. Its no secret they're struggling financially and Kovy won't put them into the playoffs.
First the Flyers are convincing Pronger not to retire, now this? You really have the conspiracy theories out in full force this summer

bWo*

First the Flyers are convincing Pronger not to retire, now this? You really have the conspiracy theories out in full force this summer

The thing is both of them make sense. If pronger retires then the flyers are faced with cap recapture and if he doesnt retire they just keep him on LTIR and his caps off the books. The flyers owner has heavy pockets and doesnt care about having to pay pronger. Everybody involved wins. Now the devils are in money trouble and i think Lou talked to kovy about his contract and then kovy went and talked to teams in the khl to find out what kind of pay he would get to play at there and when he saw a deal he liked he told Lou this and then they orcastrated this retirement. And again, everybody involved wins.

julesdoe

Jul 11, 2013
Germany
i understand how both sides (kovy/ownership) win from this, still: signing a 15-year contract and terminating it after 3 leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, regardless whether ownership had their hands in it to help their financial situation.
he must have had the desire to maybe one day return to russia - which is perfectly fine with me - before signing that contract - which is not so fine with me.
so why sign for 15 then, knowing the day will come you upset the team and the fanbase that looked upon you to be their leader?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad