Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk retires

flamer4life

Feb 22, 2012
Cowtown
Ouch that sucks for them. Hope the league gives them their 1st round pick back or just a first round pick back.

they are already in financial woes. At least the have an extra 6.6 mill avail in cap space now. Cammy to the Devils for a 2nd.

Turboed

Jul 6, 2012
Red Deer, Alberta
Is there any chance he will be going to russia to get used to the bigger ice for the olympics and plans to come back after? And lets say this is the case; If the devils void his contract and he comes out of retirement what happens with his rights? Free to sign with anyone?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ouch that sucks for them. Hope the league gives them their 1st round pick back or just a first round pick back.

they are already in financial woes. At least the have an extra 6.6 mill avail in cap space now. Cammy to the Devils for a 2nd.

They don't deserve their first round pick back, much like how the league wouldn't have simply gifted the Flames their 1st and 3rd round picks back if the O'Reilly offersheet hadn't been matched and he had to go on waivers.

As for the Devils, not only do they save 6.35M in cap space, but also 11M in actual money next season, and in each of the subsequent seasons for some time. Considering how financially strapped their owner is, Kovalchuk retiring isn't all that bad.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is there any chance he will be going to russia to get used to the bigger ice for the olympics and plans to come back after? And lets say this is the case; If the devils void his contract and he comes out of retirement what happens with his rights? Free to sign with anyone?

This would be pretty ridiculous, imo. I don't imagine players take the Olympics, and more specifically the slight change in style of play, that seriously compared to their careers.

Turboed

Jul 6, 2012
Red Deer, Alberta
This would be pretty ridiculous, imo. I don't imagine players take the Olympics, and more specifically the slight change in style of play, that seriously compared to their careers.

For most players I would agree. But the winter olympics in russia has been a big thing for the russians.

“It doesn’t matter what they’re going to say to me, to be honest with you,†Ovechkin said of the NHL’s decision on Olympic participation. “Of course it means a lot for everybody, for all the Russians. I’ve been in Olympic Games and I know exactly how it feels to play there. It’s pretty big, it’s the biggest event in the world.â€

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/ovechkin-carry-olympic-torch-says-hes-playing

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
From twitter:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 17m
A few quick thoughts on Kovalchuk's "retirement" from NHL that voids his NHL contract but paves way for him to sign in KHL:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 16m
1. Mutual (player and club agree) termination of an NHL contract not that unusual but usually involves lower-profile players.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 9m
2. If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 7m
3. Kovalchuk doesn't get paid anything (by NJ) and Devils don't get cap hit other than a modest $250K/year penalty for each of next 12 years

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m
4. NJ will miss Kovallchuk on ice in the short term but long-term gain is getting out from under long-term financial obligation.

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice
RT @alexandrzaytsev: Sport-Express is reporting that Kovalchuk will play for SKA in the KHL.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Now told SKA and Kovalchuk already have an agreement in place. Will be announced "soon" ... guessing tomorrow.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
absolute d*** move.

Honestly, not really. If you're in his shoes, you're thousands of miles away from home, and you don't know anyone here except colleagues. Wouldn't you want to go back from where you're from? He didn't hurt the Devils in any way (I'd say he actually helped them), so I don't think it was a "dick" move.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, not really. If you're in his shoes, you're thousands of miles away from home, and you don't know anyone here except colleagues. Wouldn't you want to go back from where you're from? He didn't hurt the Devils in any way (I'd say he actually helped them), so I don't think it was a "dick" move.

Sure, but I wouldn't have held out for a 17-year contract if I even considered having those feelings. Unless he fully made them aware of his misgivings 4 years ago (which I doubt), in which case it's all 100% on Lou.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

Except that contract cost them a first, as well as all the assets the devils traded to get him in the first place...

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Sure, but I wouldn't have held out for a 17-year contract if I even considered having those feelings. Unless he fully made them aware of his misgivings 4 years ago (which I doubt), in which case it's all 100% on Lou.

But why does it matter now? The contract is void, so the Devils don't have to pay a cent toward Kovy himself.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
They do have to pay a $250K fine every year for the next 13 years or however long the contract is. That kinda hurts.

He def hurt the team man. He singlehandedly probably made them the worst team in the league and without a 1st pick. OUCH!

If he would have done this 7 or 8 years from now, he would have hurt the team A LOT more than now. If he had this in mind all along, now would be the best time.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As a Devils fan all I can do is :(

If the Flames didn't exist, I'd probably have been a Devils fan growing up. Scott Stevens was always one of my favorite players.

It gets the Devils out of their money situation for the time being... However, a few years ago, I closely followed the Ilya saga when he was signed/annulled/signed etc... and honestly, it's a complete joke that he's retired from the NHL.

I mean, he's still in his prime... one of the top players in the league... and now he's going back to Russia to play out probably.

I feel bad for the Devils, truly bad. They won't get that first back; they get less love from the league/people than Calgary does... so you can all put that into perspective...

Marty's done after this season probably... Zubrus and Elias are truly on their last legs... They got Ryder and Clowe this off-season on pretty bad deals... I mean, ****. I don't see a quick fix for this team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
They do have to pay a $250K fine every year for the next 13 years or however long the contract is. That kinda hurts.

He def hurt the team man. He singlehandedly probably made them the worst team in the league and without a 1st pick. OUCH!

You misunderstand; they're not paying $250K a year, they're being penalized $250K against the cap every year until 2025. Essentially, the Devils will operate under a cap $250K lower than everyone else, because the space is being taken up by the cap recapture penalty.

And while Kovalchuk hurts the team's competitiveness short term, he also just saved his owner $11M in real money next season, and $56M over the next 5 years - which is big deal for the financially troubled owner of the team. Retiring at this point in addition also saves the Devils from a much worse cap recapture penalty down the road. There's a reason New Jersey doesn't appear upset about this whatsoever, and moreover, is actually letting Kovalchuk play in the KHL next season.

Basically, it's a win/lose-win/lose. Kovalchuk loses credibility, but will make a lot more money playing in his home country. The Devils take a big step back in terms of competitiveness, but they also save a ton of money now, and in terms of cap space in the future.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was nothing more than a clever loophole found by Lou and the Devils. Instead of buying out Kovalchuk and having to spend of bunch of real money that way, they simply get him to retire - Kovalchuk gets the opportunity to go back the Russia for a year, make a lot more money, play in the olympics, and then is free to come back to the NHL after next season to sign with what ever team he wants to. The Devils meanwhile are free to go in another direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad