Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk retires

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Cammy, Vanek, and Hemsky all to NJ (E5)

This is ridiculous. Selfishly, I hope NJ doesn't get their pick back and we don't have to worry about another team being terrible for Ekblad or Reinhart...

Turboed

Jul 6, 2012
Red Deer, Alberta
It really is. The wording is kinda strange though. Retire from the nhl, not from hockey. This leads me to believe he will be going to the khl especially since he didnt really wanna come back after the lockout in the first place.

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Pfffft. And people around here think the Flames are going to finish 30th next year.

SKA St Peterburg looks a lot better all of a sudden.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It really is. The wording is kinda strange though. Retire from the nhl, not from hockey. This leads me to believe he will be going to the khl especially since he didnt really wanna come back after the lockout in the first place.

That seems to be his plan. He said he wanted to be back home with his family. No way he's just going to leave that kind of money on the table unless there's a similar amount waiting for him in Russia.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
and they have little to non forward prospects to call up, on top of the fact their #1 overall pick might be taken away

and you think we have it bad here....

1 thing i love about the Flames is stable ownership

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
What the actual ****. Took him in the second round of my fantasy leagues initial draft. Complete wasted pick.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
In addition to losing Kovalchuk, forfeiting this years first round pick, the Devils also face a recapture penalty of $250,000 until 2025.

Ouch.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Call it a hunch, but I think they'll be given their 1st back under these circumstances.

I won't be surprised but I absolutely do not agree with it if that's what they decide to do. Yes, the Flames fan in me doesn't want to further competition for a high pick, but more importantly (for the league), it would set a horrible precedent.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I won't be surprised but I absolutely do not agree with it if that's what they decide to do. Yes, the Flames fan in me doesn't want to further competition for a high pick, but more importantly (for the league), it would set a horrible precedent.

I don't know about that, but I agree with Stewie's statement. The penalty was for circumventing the cap. Kovalchuk's retirement already takes money off of their books as a positive, that he retired is completely their lookout, and the league at this point owes them nothing.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Call it a hunch, but I think they'll be given their 1st back under these circumstances.

Not a chance. Then that will become the new thing. Sign a long term deal while circumventing the cap, and then agree with the player to have him retire early so they can recoup the pick while the player makes his $ in the KHL. One thing Bettman doesn't have is sympathy so sorry Devils fans. They did the crime and now they'll learn a hard lesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad