Value of: Kovalchuk confirms NHL return for next season-plans to play 5-6 more years

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If the Caps have cap room next season, then he will want to try to win a Cup with Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Orlov.

Tampa Bay is also stocked with Russian talent and is just at the start of their cup window. Plus money might be no concern for him, but getting to keep more of what he makes would definitely be a consideration for any player.

If they get McDonaugh or (gasp) EK they’re already bordering on super team status. Likely MVP Kucherov, Stammer, Karlsson, Hedman and Kovy?

That said, if he likes NYC there really isn’t any replacing that with money or competitiveness.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Don't want to voice my opinions of this guy, but I hope whatever team he goes to crashes in flames, unless it's the Devils lol

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Ilya nhl stats

NHL:
GP

G

A

TP

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kovalchuk is interesting because the first couple seasons he was a wrecking ball. A lot like early Ovechkin. Then he changed his game and that's around the time people started to dislike him. He was still one of the most talented players on the ice at any time and great for the game but he became a hated Russian and after that it was like Barry Bonds. If he wasn't playing for you, you didn't like him.

I don't know if he wants a Cup or just a big contract or both, but even a 35 year old Kovalchuk is great to have in the league.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Hard to imagine anyone getting booed more than when this guy returns to NJ. He will need extra security getting out of the building :laugh:

Reactions: NJDevils7

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Hard to imagine anyone getting booed more than when this guy returns to NJ. He will need extra security getting out of the building :laugh:
I wouldn't boo him, I would just be excited to watch him play, unless it was for the Rangers....

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I'm sick of that guy having the spotlight on him comes Free Agency times. The 100 million contract with the Devils (and his poor season afterward, which was to predict after SUCH hype). Last year... all talking , stayed in the KHL. Please, stay away, stay in Russia. No wasting time!!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Apparently money is ”irrelevant”.

Im sure it’s not completely that but when a guy like Kovalchuk says it the only logical conclusion is he wants to win.

Yeah, at his age and with his bank account is not about the money anymore. It is simply about finding a contender with room for him.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Kovy should come to the Rangers.

Gets to live in NY
Gets probably more money than he deserves
Gets to mentor the kids on our rebuild

Will really be good for Rykov and Shestyorkin to have Ilya around to show them the ways in NY.
If only we could get the rights to Gusev we would be golden.

Buch, Rykov, Shestyorking, Kovy, Gusev

SKA Rangers
Yeah for the mentor role he'd be amazing add to Colorado..
However that's not what he's looking for. It's a gamble to pick a team based on who might win the stanley cup in the upcoming years but that's what he's after

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad