Value of: Kovalchuk confirms NHL return for next season-plans to play 5-6 more years

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Never realized the hate Kovalchuk got?

Why? He was a stud when he was younger and a clear franchise player.

Got traded to Jersey and ended up being the best player outside of Brodeur in that cup run until he got injured. And even then was clearly the leader on that team versus Parise.

Left Jersey which I’m sure knowing Lou was a wink wink deal once the Devils realized they needed to rebuild.

He’s always been a high performer and seems to be generally loved in every locker room he is in. I think most teams would kill to get him on a short term contract.

He pointed at Crosby

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
So what I've learned from this wise poster who has been a fan all of 30 years is:

A. You cannot care about your family and make a lot of money
B. Kovalchuk made Lou sign his contract. The poor GM had no control in the situation (the old, if everyone jumps off a bridge does that mean you are going to do it argument)
C. Someone who has access to the same television channels and the same media outlets cannot have any concrete knowledge over another person who has access to the same things and nothing more.

This has been quite enlightening. You've obviously reached a plane of higher learning I could never achieve. I feel our time is short since you are most likely going to burst into a ball of light and energy and transcend this world, so I bid you safe travels oh omniscient one. I've gotten enough likes on my posts to be ensured that not everyone in this world is crazy, and that's victory enough for me. Your next comment will hit the wall of ignore so save your finger muscles for pleasure rather than pain....

1- I never said that, but if you're dead set on getting 100M$, you're decision will affect you AND your family.

2- Kovalchuk didn't make Lou sign anything and if it wasn't for our ex owner, Lou wouldn't of signed Kovalchuk and everyone knows that. Vanderbeek wanted to make a splash and at the same time, a publicity stunt... he did and everything went south after that, including Vanderbeek's financial situation where the league had to come in order to support our franchise.

3- You have access to the same info as me, but I don't know as much about the Islanders because I don't follow every single little detail like I do my team. I know a lot, just not as much as a Islanders die hard fan. If you know everything and anything about all the teams in the league, more power to you.

4- Having a handful of "likes" is enough for you to feel good about yourself tells a lot, mostly insecurity and some other stuff but that's another topic for another day.

So long my South Korean friend.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
It is laughable to read some of the comments belittling Kovalchuk. He is a hockey Superstar who would be the best point getter in half of the NHL teams as a 35 year old. NHL is full of average players who make $6+ mln. (B. Saad comes to mind) and people wouldn't want Kovalchuk in this league?

Reactions: Pens x

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Right because every player who has their family's best interests in mind would turn down contracts to make less money because he's worried about a soap opera? What bizarro world do you come from? He signed a long term contract....1 year in he started worrying about his family noticing that they may not be happy in America (New Jersey most likely) and thought it was best to make the move back to Russia after giving them a couple more seasons to see if they could adjust.

Try to spin it any way you want but dem da facts.
I assure you living in New Jersey as a wealthy man did not affect his decision to retire. Talk about one of, if not the, best states to live in with money.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
You don’t want one of the best fwd outside the nhl and that just won a gold medal and that led his team to khl championships?
Actually no. The Habs are so poorly built and should rebuild properly. Adding another winger, as good as he is, doesn’t really help with the rebuild, it would only help mask the issues and he would probably keep the Habs from getting the high picks they need.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I assure you living in New Jersey as a wealthy man did not affect his decision to retire. Talk about one of, if not the, best states to live in with money.
I can tell you there is a huge difference between the south and the north. I'm not saying it would be New Jersey because there is something wrong with it, but after growing up in NY, then moving to Texas it was almost as drastic of a change as moving overseas. They are very different places....

member 290103

I'm sure he'd love to play in Vancouver, but not sure the Canucks will go for him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
A few random things...

1. I ran into Scott Stevens at the WJ Championship in Buffalo. I asked him about Kovalchuk and his exact words were, "Oh, he's coming back, but it won't be with the Devils. I think he wants to play in NY though." I said, Rangers, and he said, "Seems like it."

2. Pierre Mcguire was on the radio last week and said that he spoke to Kovalchuk and he would like to play in NY. He started building a massive house outside of the city, then put the building on hold when he went to the KHL. But he has a lot of money invested into this property and wants to continue building, play in the area, and live in that house.

3. The return of Vlad Namestnikov in the McDonagh trade. Could be nothing, but the Rangers took "less" than what some projected in this deal. Was this just the first piece of the puzzle? Free up cap space and add a Russian player to help sell Kovalchuk? Not sure.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
3. The return of Vlad Namestnikov in the McDonagh trade. Could be nothing, but the Rangers took "less" than what some projected in this deal. Was this just the first piece of the puzzle? Free up cap space and add a Russian player to help sell Kovalchuk? Not sure.

I can't see Rangers being a good fit. They just traded away tons of assets to get picks and prospects. They want to rebuild with youth to have a strong team down the line. Nothing against Rangers but they wont be in a position to compete for a while, what would a player like Kovalchuk add to Rangers? Seems like a whole lot of nothing

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Never underestimate the large Russian population in New York as a factor. Pavel Bure had mentioned this back when he ended up on New York, which is where he would have chosen to go originally, when Vancouver traded him to Florida..

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
A few random things...

1. I ran into Scott Stevens at the WJ Championship in Buffalo. I asked him about Kovalchuk and his exact words were, "Oh, he's coming back, but it won't be with the Devils. I think he wants to play in NY though." I said, Rangers, and he said, "Seems like it."

2. Pierre Mcguire was on the radio last week and said that he spoke to Kovalchuk and he would like to play in NY. He started building a massive house outside of the city, then put the building on hold when he went to the KHL. But he has a lot of money invested into this property and wants to continue building, play in the area, and live in that house.

To me, why would the Rangers try to sign Kovalchuk? It just seems like they shipped out all these pieces for a rebuild, even younger ones on okay contracts. Why would they take on Kovalchuk? Seems the exact opposite of the message they are sending to the fans. I guess it's not impossible, but would be quite peculiar to say the least.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I wish him good luck - I really doubt Rangers is interested in a rebuild process. They need all their cap for future prospects, and I doubt they will dip their toes in the UFA market too much this year, because they will focus on young prospects to get a lot of ice time while they develop.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A 1-year deal with the Oilers is my hope. He could be deadly next to Mcdavid..
A one or two-year deal anywhere would be terrific, no matter the AAV (within reason). Almost every team would want him then.

The problem would be a riskier long-term 35+ deal at a high AAV. That could also be good, but also has a high probability of turning into a boat anchor.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Nothing against Rangers but they wont be in a position to compete for a while, what would a player like Kovalchuk add to Rangers? Seems like a whole lot of nothing

Marketing. Excitement.

Say what you want about Kovalchuk, but he is exciting, and he is a name. And, as we know, New York has always been a sucker for bringing in flashy names. Plus, have you seen those ticket prices at MSG? They need to justify those prices by putting an exciting product on the ice. Even if this is a temporary ploy, I see the Rangers all over it.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Rangers are going to have to reach the cap floor so signing him for a few years to sell some jerseys isn’t that bad of an idea. It just makes his proclamation of wanting to win a cup a little suspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00