Confirmed with Link: Kotkaniemi Offer Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It's not just AAV. Because of arbitration this sets KK's future years at ~6 mil at least. Carolina nuked KKs cost controlled years. They'll have to re evaluate their cap structure now. Not cataclysmic, but a pita. Not 100% certain Montreal matches. Maybe 80%?

Jun 15, 2007
I respect the pettiness but if Montreal lets him go doesn't that kind of screw you guys?

Reactions: WaW

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
GTFOH. So ridiculous and why? A. He isn’t worth that
2. We’d be in some issues with cap unless Gardiner is going LTIR.

A+ for pettiness though

I don't think that is true. If Gardiner doesn't go LTIR I think they can make it work by just burying Gardiner in the AHL. It would be tight all year like last year, but I think they could swing it.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don't think that is true. If Gardiner doesn't go LTIR I think they can make it work by just burying Gardiner in the AHL. It would be tight all year like last year, but I think they could swing it.
Burying him in Chicago would only save 1.15 million, still less than 6.1

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The Canes likely see Kotkaniemi as a future two-way star at center. He certainly looked very good this postseason. Still, though, I think this is hilarious. It's the one offer sheet out there that doesn't break any unwritten NHL rules. You offer sheet Aho, then a retaliatory one is simply karma. It certainly seems like a move, though, done because they know that Gardiner is going on LTIR soon.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Please accept Montreal because trading a 1st and a 3rd for KK wouldn’t be great

It's worth it from a game theory perspective, I think. I don't actually care that much one way or the other if we get JK, but other teams will be *very* careful about offer sheeting Canes players in the future.

There's a reason that offer sheets are rare, and this is it.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I honestly don't know if I'd match this if I'm Montreal.

You are correct, I'm not sure we will. A first round pick is actually good return for us, and KK was really a question mark going forward that was dividing the fan base. If I was Bergy, I would use that pick to make a trade for a more stable second line centre.

Reactions: A Star is Burns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad