Confirmed with Link: Kotkaniemi Offer Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You are correct, I'm not sure we will. A first round pick is actually good return for us, and KK was really a question mark going forward that was dividing the fan base. If I was Bergy, I would use that pick to make a trade for a more stable second line centre.

A good second line center will cost you more than a first and a third -- one with term, anyway. It'll cost a roster player too.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I mean it’s funny, but why are we doing it if there’s a chance they don’t match? His offense hasn’t come around and he’s a maybe at this point. We have enough centers this year, he doesn’t have enough offense to replace Vinny if/when he goes. Could be a good third center if we didn’t already have one?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I mean it’s funny, but why are we doing it if there’s a chance they don’t match? His offense hasn’t come around and he’s a maybe at this point. We have enough centers this year, he doesn’t have enough offense to replace Vinny if/when he goes. Could be a good third center if we didn’t already have one?

My first reaction when I saw this news was like, lol, Carolina is getting back at us. But then I saw the term, 6M 1 year, and I was like, nope, no way we match something like this, we take the picks. We will see what our "genious" GM (cough) do... lol

BTW, loved the $20 jab. But for KK accepting this on his contract shows something about him and his relationship to the team that I don't like very much...

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If Montreal takes the picks, great. Another good young player added to our pool of good young players. And we would have acquired the #3 pick from 3 years ago for a late 1st and 3rd. $6m is too much, but it was only a 1 year deal, I'm sure it will be lower on a multi year extension.

That said, I think its a good opportunity to possibly buy low on a guy with a ton of potential. Play him regularly with guys like Svech, Necas, Jarvis, etc, and he could explode.

Interesting play here. I really don't see a way this really backfires terribly on us.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
My first reaction when I saw this news was like, lol, Carolina is getting back at us. But then I saw the term, 6M 1 year, and I was like, nope, no way we match something like this, we take the picks. We will see what our "genious" GM (cough) do... lol

BTW, loved the $20 jab. But for KK accepting this on his contract shows something about him and his relationship to the team that I don't like very much...

The Internet says that he was pissed about being benched in the playoffs, and that's probably as good a reason as any. Even if MTL matches, I think this was a message that he's ready to move on.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
If Montreal takes the picks, great. Another good young player added to our pool of good young players. And we would have acquired the #3 pick from 3 years ago for a late 1st and 3rd. $6m is too much, but it was only a 1 year deal, I'm sure it will be lower on a multi year extension.

That said, I think its a good opportunity to possibly buy low on a guy with a ton of potential. Play him regularly with guys like Svech, Necas, Jarvis, etc, and he could explode.

Interesting play here. I really don't see a way this really backfires terribly on us.
IF he's 30 points.. but it's only 1 year so not too costly.. would hate that it cost a first though.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Backfires? He puts up 30 points next season, which is standard for him, and isn’t worth a 6.1 million QO. We give up a picks for one year of a bust 3OA. This is a heck of a gamble on an awesome petty play.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
The Internet says that he was pissed about being benched in the playoffs, and that's probably as good a reason as any. Even if MTL matches, I think this was a message that he's ready to move on.

Yeah I heard that too, & I agree.

I think it makes sense for Habs to not match. They won’t have to deal with the QO and he’s not worth that $. Plus they get an unprotected 1st (given it will probably be a high one) for their home draft next year. If it’s inevitable he’s leaving anyway, the compensation for the offer sheet isn’t a terrible return.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah I heard that too, & I agree.

I think it makes sense for Habs to not match. They won’t have to deal with the QO and he’s not worth that $. Plus they get an unprotected 1st (given it will probably be a high one) for their home draft next year. If it’s inevitable he’s leaving anyway, the compensation for the offer sheet isn’t a terrible return.

Yep. It wasn't inevitable before, but it probably is now. Which is why I think the Habs don't match. Easier to let him go.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Backfires? He puts up 30 points next season, which is standard for him, and isn’t worth a 6.1 million QO. We give up a picks for one year of a bust 3OA. This is a heck of a gamble on an awesome petty play.
He's 21 years old. He's got plenty of room to grow and it's pretty stupid to not expect more growth as early as this season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

You don’t see a way it backfires on us when we gave a guy who had 5 goals and 20 pts in 56 games 6 million dollars plus a 1st/3rd?

Never mind, others have said the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad