Komarov wants to play for Leafs again

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Because it makes little sense on his part to sign a deal now. Time is his negotiating leverage. Subban had no interest in playing for any other team but the Habs and he still sat out camp and part of the season in order to get a better deal. It's silly to say that a deal should have been done by now if one was to be made. He likely tests FA but even if Toronto was the only team he was interested in, it wouldn't be in his best interest to make that deal now.

PK was an rfa , his contract negotiations have nothing in common with this .

My point was if his main priority was to play here , a fair/reasonable contract could have been worked out by now . However if his main goal is to get the largest deal possible then of course he shoppes himself as an ufa .

I have no idea what you find so difficult about this .

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
It looks like Komarov will wait for other team's offers to see what his worth will be. Hopefully the Leafs can still sign him for a reasonable contract.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Komarov said he wants more opportunity offensively.

Grabo, Mac, likely kulemin and komarov.

You might not consider anyone of them as tough, but each were either tenacious, threw checks, forechecked hard, or not shy of corners.

The above cannot be said about, kessel, Raymond, lupul or Kadri. While bozak and jvr can be tenacious, id say they are still behind the aforementioned macA, Grabo, kulemin and komarov in that department.

They may have not been as tough their final year in Toronto, but they said it themselves, they weren't given a chance under caryle, which I'm sure weighed on them emotionally and on their confidence.

C Mac and Grabo were both only ahead of Kessel in hits last year... So there was no sandpaper to their games at all. Grabo took checks because he had his head down... That is not toughness but stupidity. I suggest look at the stats and you will find that C Mac and Grabo did nothing to establish them selves as tough.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
PK was an rfa , his contract negotiations have nothing in common with this .

My point was if his main priority was to play here , a fair/reasonable contract could have been worked out by now . However if his main goal is to get the largest deal possible then of course he shoppes himself as an ufa .

I have no idea what you find so difficult about this .

If you can't figure out how time can be an important leverage in a negotiation (regardless of intent in this case) then I feel confident that I'm not the one in this conversation that is having difficulty in understanding. My point was stop ignoring negotiating tactics in favour of making things seem liken it's so easy and obvious. You don't know what approach is being taken or what the full scope of the process is like so quit acting so sure that you do.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If you can't figure out how time can be an important leverage in a negotiation (regardless of intent in this case) then I feel confident that I'm not the one in this conversation that is having difficulty in understanding. My point was stop ignoring negotiating tactics in favour of making things seem liken it's so easy and obvious. You don't know what approach is being taken or what the full scope of the process is like so quit acting so sure that you do.

Everyone involved in the negotiations understands he'll be a ufa in a few weeks . Komorov has just as much leverage with us now as he would in July .

Unless Nonis goes full Pejorative Slur again which i don't think he will considering what happened with Clarkson i have to believe he's set a limit to how much he's willing to offer Komo and i don't see why that would change from now till July.

I like Komorov and i want him back but the price has to be reasonable . If his agent is hoping to score a big deal that's fine but he's not the type of player we should be getting in a bidding war over .

I could see his agent waiting at least until the period before the ufa season begins to shop him and weigh the offers against ours but if he wants to try to leverage a bigger deal out of us why should we up our offer . We can't afford to keep overpaying for bottom 6 players and i don't see Nonis caving into his demands just because another team may have offered him a much larger contract (not that he could even be sure if another team actually did).

Also i never said i knew what was going on in these negotiations . I said if his main desire is to remain a Leaf then it shouldn't be difficult to come to a reasonable deal . I also said it seems like he wants to weigh the offers for his services which would suggest that while we might be his num 1 destination it's not going to be the main factor in where he decides he wants to play .

Having the leverage that comes with being a ufa is great but it doesn't change the player you are and while i think a large number of teams would be interested in his services it doesn't mean they'll get into an all out bidding war for him . Sure there might be one or two GM's that get stupid and if they do they're welcome to him .

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
This team is garbage anyways. Might as well get some fun out of these next couple years.

Exactly. A complete gong show.

Can't wait for the list of excuses around mid July as to why we couldn't improve this team for next season.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I see him gathering offers from 4-5 teams then allowing leafs to lowball and he'll accept. If hes offered 3mil by others I bet he takes 2 from the leafs.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I see him gathering offers from 4-5 teams then allowing leafs to lowball and he'll accept. If hes offered 3mil by others I bet he takes 2 from the leafs.

I don't know anything about the man personally, but this makes no sense. He's a fringe hockey player with a very limited career span and he should take the best deal.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
A fringe hockey player? Come again?

It's true. He's not a core talent and likely never will be. He'd be wise to accept the richest deal (as most players do anyway).

It's not to say he's not a good player and I really hope he comes back to the Leafs.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
It's true. He's not a core talent and likely never will be. He'd be wise to accept the richest deal (as most players do anyway).

It's not to say he's not a good player and I really hope he comes back to the Leafs.

so he's both a "good" player and "fringe".. right :help:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 2m

One other note from a chat with Dave Nonis today: He doesn't see a fit financially for Leo Komarov and the #leafs.
So yeah, guess that's not looking promising.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Komarov asking for lots of money doesn't make sense because he doesn't produce enough offensively.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So Komarov isn't a financial fit, but somehow Clarkson was... interesting. Can't wait to see what Komarov actually gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia