Seravalli: Klingberg fires his agent - now represented by Newport

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Yet the market is the exact same now as it was yesterday. So new agent that he supposedly trust more has the same to work with as the other guy.

I think he wanted 7 x $6M at minimum or even more and the only offers he has gotten has been max 5 x $5.25M-$5.50M range.

Which has very little to do with the agent and moreover more to do with his play, age, and future potential.
Pure speculation, but I wonder if he had an offer, and the agent told him to turn it down and wait... and then he did. And now that offer isn't there anymore.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Pure speculation, but I wonder if he had an offer, and the agent told him to turn it down and wait... and then he did. And now that offer isn't there anymore.
Or the agent told him there isn't a team there that is willing to give you that 7-year deal. These clubs offer these deals, do you want to take it? And he's stubborn and turn it down and wait for the merry go round, teams sign players and he hope some teams are left with the cap space and need and who then are in a "worse" position and because of that cough up the extra couple of years and extra money.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Or the agent told him there isn't a team there that is willing to give you that 7-year deal. These clubs offer these deals, do you want to take it? And he's stubborn and turn it down and wait for the merry go round, teams sign players and he hope some teams are left with the cap space and need and who then are in a "worse" position and because of that cough up the extra couple of years and extra money.
I assume from your posting in this thread that you must be the former agent, or know him personally?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I mean either scenario is possible.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Karlsson got 8 x $11.5m starting at age 29.

Doughty got 8 x $11m starting at age 29.

Bobrovsky got 7 x $10m starting at age 31.

Kopitar got 8 x $10m starting at age 29.

Gaudreau got 7 x $9.75m starting at age 29.

Ovechkin got 5 x $9.5m starting at age 36.

Backstrom got 5 x $9.2m starting at age 33.

Pietrangelo got 7 x $8.8m starting at age 30.

Couturier got 8 x $7.75m starting at age 29.

It’s always a mistake to pay for past performance.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I assume from your posting in this thread that you must be the former agent, or know him personally?
And that is why there is so much wrong in the world. Too many assumptions and people who look for something that would fit their narrative and not the actual truth.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
And that is why there is so much wrong in the world. Too many assumptions and people who look for something that would fit their narrative and not the actual truth.
I mean, your narrative is the player is wrong when everything out there says the opposite. So just so I understand correctly.

Step 1
Say something outrageous.

Step 2
Back it, regardless of what other people say or show

Step 3
Claim the world is wrong because people don't agree with you.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think at this stage in the offseason he needs to take a 1 year deal and bet on himself

Assuming he wants at least 5 million + (to save a little face from his demand going into the offseason)

You have
Ottawa, Winnipeg, New Jersey, Calgary, Detroit, Chicago, Isles (not really after the dobson extension just listing them here), Dallas, Buffalo, Arizona and Anaheim

If he wants to go to a team that was good last year and has a good chance to be good this year then he should be looking at Dallas or Calgary

If he wants a team where the team can surprise then he is looking at Ottawa, New Jersey, Detroit and maybe Winnipeg but obviously if he chooses a team from here and they dont make the playoffs then its hard for him to add to his value for next offseason

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I still can't believe he'll be 30 next month. Time flies.

I think at this stage in the offseason he needs to take a 1 year deal and bet on himself

Assuming he wants at least 5 million + (to save a little face from his demand going into the offseason)

You have
Ottawa, Winnipeg, New Jersey, Calgary, Detroit, Chicago, Isles (not really after the dobson extension just listing them here), Dallas, Buffalo, Arizona and Anaheim

If he wants to go to a team that was good last year and has a good chance to be good this year then he should be looking at Dallas or Calgary

If he wants a team where the team can surprise then he is looking at Ottawa, New Jersey, Detroit and maybe Winnipeg but obviously if he chooses a team from here and they dont make the playoffs then its hard for him to add to his value for next offseason
I don't think the Hawks are a good fit, although he'd be an attractive trade piece at the deadline.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Teams that don't have 2 right-handed top 4 defenseman :

BUF - Will use Dahlin on his off side
FLO - Montour is borderline
MON - Will use a LHD on their off side
OTT - will use Hamonic or Zaitsev
TBL - Bogosian works w/ Hedman somehow
TOR - will use Brodie (LHD) and Liljegren
CBJ - will use Peeke or Gudbranson
ARZ - will use 2 of Brown Mayo Söderström
DAL - need a top 4 RHD or have to use Miller
NAS - Carrier is borderline
ANA - Need a RHD or will use Shattenkirk
SJS - Benning is borderline
SEA - need a top 4 RHD or have to use Schultz
VAN - will use Myers and Poolman or trade
VGK - will use Theodore/Martinez on offside

Reactions: Dog

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I mean, your narrative is the player is wrong when everything out there says the opposite. So just so I understand correctly.
What out there says the opposite?
From what we see he is looking for a long-term deal with big pay day and from the looks of it, it is not there.
So what is out there that says otherwise?

From my understanding your view is on that side that it must be the agent who said this and that, and there is nothing that backs up that point of view. I'm saying it is most likely the other way around, but in the media it's much easier to blame an agent then the player right. Because the player can't be greedy...

Reactions: Snowwy

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I still can't believe he'll be 30 next month. Time flies.

I don't think the Hawks are a good fit, although he'd be an attractive trade piece at the deadline.

I dont think the hawks are a good fit either. I just listed all the teams with over 5 million in cap space since i doubt he wants to take too much of a discount even on a 1 year deal

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
At this rate I think he is going to have to gamble and take Tyson Barrie's 2020-21 1Y contract and pray that it works out for him. Either that—or sign a relatively cheap 1Y contract with a contender and spend a season chasing the cup.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

You have

If he's considering a 1 year deal, I think the team's chance of being good has very little to do with it. A one year prove-it deal is best signed with a team that offers a situation where he can best showcase himself. And that probably has very little to do with team quality. He can play himself into trade deadline target and make hay there.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If he's considering a 1 year deal, I think the team's chance of being good has very little to do with it. A one year prove-it deal is best signed with a team that offers a situation where he can best showcase himself. And that probably has very little to do with team quality. He can play himself into trade deadline target and make hay there.

thats definitely fair but at the same time a team being good would make it easier for klingberg to get points which is a big source of his value

so it would be a balancing act where is the more time on ice worth potentially less production which would be a tough bet to make on a 1 year deal

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
7 years? To a guy almost 30? Jeez, good luck buddy.

Gosh, I know, right? That never happens.

Oh wait.

Karlsson got 8 x $11.5m starting at age 29.

Doughty got 8 x $11m starting at age 29.

Bobrovsky got 7 x $10m starting at age 31.

Kopitar got 8 x $10m starting at age 29.

Gaudreau got 7 x $9.75m starting at age 29.

Ovechkin got 5 x $9.5m starting at age 36.

Backstrom got 5 x $9.2m starting at age 33.

Pietrangelo got 7 x $8.8m starting at age 30.

Couturier got 8 x $7.75m starting at age 29.

Plus countless other examples I'm sure.

But sure, I guess it's fun to pretend Klinger's the only player looking for that kind of term. :help: :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And you have no idea what he "likely" was told. Problem is you wanna give your view substantial value to my view,, yet you are guessing more than I am. Neither of us know, but mine is a lot more plausible than yours. Because if not he would have signed somewhere already.
Counter point, mine is more plausible to yours because these guys aren’t all a bunch of prima donna’s who arrogantly think they’re worth more than they actually are. Many of them trust the people who represent them.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Counter point, mine is more plausible to yours because these guys aren’t all a bunch of prima donna’s who arrogantly think they’re worth more than they actually are. Many of them trust the people who represent them.
Wishful thinking from your side in such case. You can have it if you want, nevertheless makes it no more real.
I think we have had enough cases lately blown up in the media lately and rightfully so that show hockey players and entitlement views is no less than among what happens with athletes in other sports.

Most been around cruelty to people but recently also a player who made a list of tax heaven areas where it would be only those spots he would be traded to. Another case is where you have a couple of guys who don't want to stay through a rebuild. So, there is plenty of that in hockey as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad