Seravalli: Klingberg fires his agent - now represented by Newport

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Faksa to Vancouver for Pearson?

The point of moving Faksa would be to clear cap. I'd probably do that trade since it shaves off one year but it wouldn't clear cap this offseason to sign Klingberg for example.

Trades for money for money are probably out there but anything to clear capspace right now would be very pricey.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe he feels he needs an agency because his potential deal has to come with the signing team removing cap first. Maybe an agency would do a better job coordinating that

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I wonder what the story is here. I think maybe Klingberg regrets having signed that really long term first contract and now that he's not gotten the offers he anticipated (or was told were coming) he decided to get new representation.

He just got married, it's the biggest contract he'll ever sign. I hope it works out for him. I say this as a Stars fan who is sad to see him go but wishes him the best. He was the first legit defenseman we had after Zubov. Honestly, it's been him and Heiskanen since that era.

I think he'll find a good home in the end, but obviously his free agency doesn't seem to have gone to plan.

NJ Devil

Jul 22, 2022
What about NBA player Dennis Schröder? Lakers offered him 4 years $84 millions contract. He and his agent turned it down. At the end he had to accept 1 year $5.9 million contract at Celtics because basically all teams had used their cap space. Sometimes opportunities come and go.
Slight difference because, I believe, Schroder was eligible for his level max extension the year after.

100% fumbled a massive, life-changing bag, but I do believe it was done with the idea in mind that the next offseason (this year) was his chance to capitalize. Doubt it happens now but at least(?) there was a legitimate idea in mind. Market just wasnt there

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It seems one of the biggest mistakes you can make as an NHL player is accept a contract that takes you to the age of 30-31, kind of like what Kadri and Klingberg did. Teams are not very willing to sign you until you’re 37-38 for a high AAV. Whereas if they were 27-28 years old, it would be much more palatable.
Excellent point on the age issue of when a player hits ufa for the big contract. Huberdeau is going to be in the same purgatory next summer as a 30 year old ufa regardless of how good he is.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Anybody remember any players with positive outcomes weeks into UFA?

I would think all major signings that need to happen occur in the 1st day or 2. It's all downhill after that in terms of salary and term.

Doesn't bode well for Klingberg, or even Kadri (for that matter).

Jake Gardiner got 4 years in early September of 2019, but he did not get a raise. That may or may not have been a disappointment, depending on his medicals.

Alex Semin settled for 1 year, but got a big number at least, on Day 26 in 2012.

You have to go back to 2010 for a firm example. Ilya Kovalchuk got a $100 mil+ on Day 19. Before that, Sheldon Souray signed for a cap inflation adjusted $8.85 mil x 5 on Day 12 in 2007.

That's pretty much it in the cap era.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Come to Ducks on a 1 year 10 mil deal, we will trade you for 50% retention to whoever you want for a couple assets lol

Reactions: lwvs84

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its obvious his agent messed up by not getting him a fair deal early. Klingberg will probably end up on a 1yr deal with a contender proving himself all over again.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Come to Ducks on a 1 year 10 mil deal, we will trade you for 50% retention to whoever you want for a couple assets lol
Just so this with him and Kadri, and again next year if the team isn't ready to compete... essentially buying draft picks

Reactions: bsu

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wonder what the story is here. I think maybe Klingberg regrets having signed that really long term first contract and now that he's not gotten the offers he anticipated (or was told were coming) he decided to get new representation.

He just got married, it's the biggest contract he'll ever sign. I hope it works out for him. I say this as a Stars fan who is sad to see him go but wishes him the best. He was the first legit defenseman we had after Zubov. Honestly, it's been him and Heiskanen since that era.

I think he'll find a good home in the end, but obviously his free agency doesn't seem to have gone to plan.

Money wise I don’t think this will beat the previous contract.

Moving cap has never been more difficult or expensive as it is now.
2/3 of the teams are trying to find more cap space or to get under the cap

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
There just isn't that much cap space available, I think Kadri is in for a surprise as well

show time

Jul 22, 2022
Leafs should trade Holl and Kerfoot for picks/prospects.

Sign this guy to a 1 year 5M deal. If he plays well, try to move Muzzin for a forward. And if he doesn't play well... Carolina and Edmonton will be dying for the ex-Leaf.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston

My guess is he and his agent weren't on the same page w.r.t. what the 'best' contract offers were. Maybe Klingberg isn't valuing max $ amount to the same degree that his agent would, for example. The agency is a good option when he doesn't have a specific agent he's trying to switch to. The agency can facilitate finding someone that understands his priorities.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He fired his agent during his honeymoon?

Damn, that's gotta be one of the harshest cases of post-___ clarity in history. ;)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm just not sure 7 years is out there for him from anyone. Back when the Stars were negotiating with him about an extension i thought more than 5 years would be a bad idea. I still think so unless the AAV gets pushed really low from that and 6 is not low enough imho.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Excellent point on the age issue of when a player hits ufa for the big contract. Huberdeau is going to be in the same purgatory next summer as a 30 year old ufa regardless of how good he is.
Defencemen just don’t last as long as elite playmaking wingers who are not physical. Kane, stlouis, etc.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
If he thought he was getting that much it’s highly likely he was told he was getting that much.

And you have no idea what the actual numbers are.
And you have no idea what he "likely" was told. Problem is you wanna give your view substantial value to my view,, yet you are guessing more than I am. Neither of us know, but mine is a lot more plausible than yours. Because if not he would have signed somewhere already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad