Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Personally I think we as fans have seen mediocracy(entertainment) at the Aud for so long we are starting to see visions of the players holding up the Mem Cup already after a few games. When the Rangers got trounced by Guelph reality should have stepped back in. Here we are trading our best players away already. Vilardi or Raddysh are not going to come in and win the cup by them selves after trading away the core of our team and giving away a boat load of picks. You need at least six players with 20 or more goals, 4 solid Dmen and two top goalies to go at least to the finals. Does anyone think we will have that? The Rangers plan now is to keep the core of the team together and always have picks in the cupboard. I respect the opinions of those who are up for trading our best prospects because it generates conversation but I think it's best to wait until we see if some of the present players step up to the plate.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Bobber, I agree and i still think the Rangers weakness is something you can't trade away players and/or picks for............coaching!
Maybe the firing of Barnaby is a shot across the hull for McKee and we'll see a marked improvement.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brown's article in today's paper was about former Ranger coach Smith. When he first became head coach he said his philosophy was to follow in the foot steps of Deboer and bring that type of hockey back to the Aud or something along those lines. I think he played for Deboer in Plymouth and was an assistant under him so he knew the ins and outs of his system. Unfortunately the Rangers modus operando(if that's a word;)) was to stay away from that gritty style and be more gentle manly after the Fanelli incident. Smith seemed go in a different direction in a hurry. Murray shied away from drafting real character players that got their noses dirty. In saying this maybe I am wrong and Smith was just not a good coach but I am certain he was told how the team was to be coached going forward. :popcorn:

Spinner

Nov 25, 2015
Before selling the farm I would tinker. I believe a top 4 defenseman is a must if this team is serious about contending. In a seven game series with games every other night asking Hall and Stanley to play 28+ minutes against top lines is a big ask. Another defenseman would relieve that pressure against teams with scoring depth thru three lines eg.) Owen Sound. Stratford boy Keaton Middleton comes to mind. Surely Middleton cannot be happy with the situation in Saginaw, especially with him fighting for an NHL contract with the Maple Leafs.

In regards to our forwards. Prior to spending on a big fish I would pursue additional depth at center with a player like Michael Pezzetta in Sudbury. Pezzetta was a highly touted OHL first rounder in 2014. Stats wise he hasn't blown it out of the water (hot start this year with 7 points in 6 games), but he would provide additional depth to the top 9 forwards and could bump a guy like Carter to the 4th line. Having three lines that can consistently score is a must in this league and the Rangers haven't had that luxury in years.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Brown's article in today's paper was about former Ranger coach Smith. When he first became head coach he said his philosophy was to follow in the foot steps of Deboer and bring that type of hockey back to the Aud or something along those lines. I think he played for Deboer in Plymouth and was an assistant under him so he knew the ins and outs of his system. Unfortunately the Rangers modus operando(if that's a word;)) was to stay away from that gritty style and be more gentle manly after the Fanelli incident. Smith seemed go in a different direction in a hurry. Murray shied away from drafting real character players that got their noses dirty. In saying this maybe I am wrong and Smith was just not a good coach but I am certain he was told how the team was to be coached going forward. :popcorn:
agreed 100%....

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Bogey, I do not see Meireles as a guy having a whole lot of trade value. He's a decent player, but his best game with this team was his first game a couple years ago. Not that he really needs to live up to that every night, but IMO, what we have in this player is another Maria Marcantuoni or Yves Bastien kind of player. Lots of flash and dash – but little finish. Truth be told, I would have McHugh or Damiani up ahead of him on the depth chart auditioning on the first line these days.

Reactions: SebJHockey

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It seems that some people are over valuing a lot of our players imo. If we are going to trade for a high impact player (Raddysh, Dipietro if we were interested etc) to put us over the top, it's all on the table as far as I'm concerned.

We have some nice young players, but I wouldn't say any of them are McDavid, Marner, etc that you would say "we're building a championship team with him".

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Ye
Bogey, I do not see Meireles as a guy having a whole lot of trade value. He's a decent player, but his best game with this team was his first game a couple years ago. Not that he really needs to live up to that every night, but IMO, what we have in this player is another Maria Marcantuoni or Yves Bastien kind of player. Lots of flash and dash – but little finish. Truth be told, I would have McHugh or Damiani up ahead of him on the depth chart auditioning on the first line these days.

Yeah i know what you're saying, marcantuoni is a great comparison but at least Meireles stays healthy haha (so far). I just feel like his ceiling is much higher from my view on the arm chair gm seat.

I also understand it's early and merely speculation regarding trades. But I've been watching for 25 years and worked for the Rangers as video board operator from 02 to 14 and I haven't been as excited about a season since Skinner potted 50.. fittingly agasint owensound (contenders this year) If I'm not mistaken. And again I know its early and we should all proceed with caution but at least this start can allow us to be cautiously optimistic..

Reactions: OhSheila

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

He is Saginaw's

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Ward, I have to agree with your statement. All the talk of trading is useless until we improve the coaching and development. And Merli is definitely not the answer to ad as a full time coach.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
If Owen Sound got DiPietro they'd have to be the favourites. Who do they give up and how many draft picks does that take? Windsor is pick poor but Owen Sound doesn't have a well stocked draft cupboard. They have one 2nd in 2018, two 2nds in 2019 and one 2nd from 2020 to 2026. They have no thirds in the next 3 drafts.

I think if Kitchener upgrades with 2 impact players it puts them into contention.

The Soo and Sarnia could also upgrade and make things even more competitive. Never count London out

In the East Mississauga will eventually get things going.

Interesting times

Reactions: rangersblues

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Oh noooo not again, allowing a goal in the first minute and a half. Come on surely someone can get this corrected.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
And it wasn't a great goal to give up either. Just skated past the D who seemed to be admiring his speed. Add to that not a great second goal either, just out muscled and the wonderful powerplay gives up a shorty. Still every goal ever scored is someone's fault. From where I was sitting Kitchener's second goal was offside so can't complain and it was a fairly even game, well worth watching.

Reactions: 93MemCup

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And it wasn't a great goal to give up either. Just skated past the D who seemed to be admiring his speed. Add to that not a great second goal either, just out muscled and the wonderful powerplay gives up a shorty. Still every goal ever scored is someone's fault. From where I was sitting Kitchener's second goal was offside so can't complain and it was a fairly even game, well worth watching.

And I believe you were at the game, Medway B? Would have like to watch it but it wasn't broadcasted! I did watch the highlights and being caught flatfooted in the opening of the game has to stop. By the numbers, the PP is still horrid but holding the Soo off the score board during their PP chances looks promising.

Offside or not, Rangers 2nd goal gave them a chance to tie it up in the final minutes but a delay of game penalty demolished that idea. I did hear the game and Rangers had their chances but failed to finish. That too has to stop. Coaching can get started at any time!! Please.

On to Saginaw where Smith will have his boys fired up to play. Let's see if the Rangers will respond.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Yes, I was at the game. The powerplay was better than previous games in that they did manage to get the puck into the Soo end and keep control for a while, but did not create a lot of good chances. On 5 PP they had 4 SOG and on 3 of those they had zero. Mind you they did score on one, so they did improve their PP%. Hopefully they can build on that in Saginaw.

The too many men penalty was just frustrating. The Rangers were penned into their own end and couldn't get the goalie out. The players were tiring and changed when the ADB was heading out. The player coming on cheated a bit (like he is probably told to do) in coming on before the ADB made the bench, then in the confusing of the mass change he didn't realise ADB went back to the goal. Just looked very disorganized.

Reactions: 93MemCup

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Desperate times calls for desperate measures and maybe it's time to resurrect the old hockey trick of putting a big body in front of the net on the powerplays....."calling Mr Stanley....calling Mr Stanley"!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Doctor Livingstone I presume? :naughty:
The Rangers the last number of years has passed the puck around the perimeter and very rarely has worked the puck in towards the net.
I guess this goes hand in hand in drafting smaller players who prefer the perimeter play while giving the goalie a clear view to the shooters.
A screened goalie while stopping the puck from good positional play has zero rebound control and this may allow some junk goals being scored.

What do the Rangers have to lose??

93MemCup

Apr 10, 2014
Very well paced game by two very skilled teams! Nice to see Ranger fans making the trip up! You travel well! Interested in a playoff matchup? You have a great looking team and a playoff series would be dandy!

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Very well paced game by two very skilled teams! Nice to see Ranger fans making the trip up! You travel well! Interested in a playoff matchup? You have a great looking team and a playoff series would be dandy!

..Ahhhh yes, memories of the early '80's....but then there's that ugly game on January 10 1984 in the midst of the Ranger's record-setting win streak. Hopefully that never happens again.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Rangers the last number of years has passed the puck around the perimeter and very rarely has worked the puck in towards the net.
I guess this goes hand in hand in drafting smaller players who prefer the perimeter play while giving the goalie a clear view to the shooters.
A screened goalie while stopping the puck from good positional play has zero rebound control and this may allow some junk goals being scored.

What do the Rangers have to lose??
I agree with you Ward. Not sure why the Rangers haven't tried that method on the power play. A lot of top skilled team use that method. It's obvious what they are doing is not working.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Desperate times calls for desperate measures and maybe it's time to resurrect the old hockey trick of putting a big body in front of the net on the powerplays....."calling Mr Stanley....calling Mr Stanley"!

Last season Bunnaman had 37 goals 16 on the PP. I seem to remember he spent time in front of the goalie and scored most of his goals from within 6 feet of the net. Seems to have moved out a few feet this seasons or have teams adapted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad