Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Without considering piece(s) that may go for Sherwood, we're looking at something like this now:

Joseph Garreffa-Riley Damiani-Adam Mascherin
Connor Bunnaman-Rickard Hugg- Kole Sherwood
Adam Liska-Greg Meireles- Jake Henderson
Nick McHugh-Eric Guest- Cole Carter
Jonathan Yantsis/Michael Petizian

Logan Stanley-Connor Hall
Giovanni Vallati -Jack York
Kyle Gentles - Grayson Ladd
Alex Peterson

Anthony Dumont-Bouchard
Luke Richardson

Quick thoughts:

1) Thin on D. Someone had to switch to the left side, and I picked Gentles since he has the most experience of the three. Peterson could draw in again.
2) As others have pointed out, lacking that top forward to play with Mash. We could either go with the "hit them with a strong four lines" approach, or deal for that top guy. But who do we give up? Damiani will hurt us going forward, which is to be expected; but dealing him would also hurt us this year, which is a no-no when trying to contend. Dealing him for a top forward would be like taking a half step forward when we'd take a full step forward if we could keep him. Same with Meireles.

We have lots of picks, and the deal will be built around that. Who will be the young player to go? Would a combination of Guest and Ladd do it? Rights to Vukojevic (assuming he'd report)? Is Jacob Tortora waiting in the wings? Can we find a Bracco-like deal where we can trade a lesser player now and finish the deal in the offseason? It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I'm concerned if it is Kole Sherwood.

When traded to Flint one of the conditions was London gets a 2nd rounder from Flint if Sherwood plays one game in the OHL this season.

Sherwood is Columbus property. Their Director of Player Personnel is Basil MaCrae. Basil is a part of owner of the Knights.

He could play one game, London gets that 2nd round pick and he gets called to the Columbus system.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
I'm concerned if it is Kole Sherwood.

When traded to Flint one of the conditions was London gets a 2nd rounder from Flint if Sherwood plays one game in the OHL this season.

Sherwood is Columbus property. Their Director of Player Personnel is Basil MaCrae. Basil is a part of owner of the Knights.

He could play one game, London gets that 2nd round pick and he gets called to the Columbus system.

I'm pretty sure this can't happen because CHL players can only be recalled on an emergency basis once they're sent down.

Either way, I'd expect MM isn't going to acquire a player and have this happen without having some conditions on the trade.

Mar 12, 2009
I guess Gentles will fill in the gap left from the Blaisdell trade

I don't think he's a permanent solution as a top 4 d on a contending team. Without giving up a roster player for Sherwood, we have a bit of a forward log jam and a hole on D. Something's got to give.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I don't think he's a permanent solution as a top 4 d on a contending team. Without giving up a roster player for Sherwood, we have a bit of a forward log jam and a hole on D. Something's got to give.

The way MM has run things so far, I don't think he is done dealing.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
From Browns Blog...
Rangers general manager Mike McKenzie started by dealing overage defenceman Doug Blaisdell to the Sudbury Wolves for a conditional fourth round pick in 2020 around noon.
About an hour later he followed that up by acquiring 20-year-old forward Kole Sherwood from the Flint Firebirds for two second round draft picks (2019, 2020), a third (2021) and a fifth (2020).

http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Now we might have a power play if they use this kid properly. Not too many US born players left on the squad. Use to be 9 or 10. Hendo is a good fisherman. Can't beat that either.:stanley:

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
How does the Sherwood trade make any sense for Flint. They give up 3 high picks for Mattinen and trade their top goal scorer away? Why wouldn't they keep Sherwood to play with Moore? Those 2 lit it up last year for Flint?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
How does the Sherwood trade make any sense for Flint. They give up 3 high picks for Mattinen and trade their top goal scorer away? Why wouldn't they keep Sherwood to play with Moore? Those 2 lit it up last year for Flint?

Flint was very thin on the backend, thats why they made the deal for Mattinen.

No one thought Sherwood would be back this year. Flint has 3 OA's already, Moore, Collela, Forrest. Moore and Forrest weren't going to be traded right now, Collela probably doesn't have much value and is off to a surprisingly good start this year. Sherwood's value was much higher then the other 3.

He's got a big time shot, will greatly help your power play big time.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
MM has been more entertaining than the actual games this year. It's exciting to know we're at the beginning of a season where anything less than a championship would be a disappointment. It's been a while..

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Rangers are all in. I like th Sherwood pick up. Excellent scorer. Sets the price tag for acquiring goals. And it wasn’t cheap

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I like the trades for a few obvious reasons; the Rangers now have someone other than Mascherin and Bunnaman as formidable threats for other teams to focus on, they've improved special teams, didn't give up any of our young talent, Blaisdell was good but I've really been impressed with York and now he can be a regular and actually develop with minutes, we still have many 2nd rounders for possible other deals.

I'm just a little worried about ankle injuries and ever since the Paxton Leroux (shoulder in that case) debacle I'm always worried about damaged goods but on the flip side we weren't trading with London and secondly it's reported Columbus has cleared Sherwood so that helps my confidence in his health.

Still not ready to scream championship yet, it's still early but optimism continues to increase!

Last edited:

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
Does this trade lessen the probability of a Vilardi, Raddysh, or Pu trade or do you think MM will still make some more deals at or before the deadline?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
BrunoDaBear, Collela is not off to a "surprisingly good start. It was expected. He had 25 pts. in 30 games with Flint last year and a +/- ratio of plus 15. He's certainly not the scorer Sherwood will be, but he is very good. Barclay Branch did great in getting 4 picks (including two 2nd rounders) for a player we were not expecting back and keeps Collela's line in tact and team chemistry in tact as well.

Last edited:

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Excited to have Doug B. Any insights?

Doug is a very effective "defence first" defenceman who is IMO a smart disciplined stay at home player. He won't cost you with stupid penalties either, plays an effective physical game as well. Only knock would be his inability to stay healthy all year when expected to play big minutes but for his credit has looked very good to this point this year and I hope for his sake and the wolves that he is able to stay healthy all year.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I am sorry to see Blaisdell go as he has been good for The Rangers when he was healthy, but not surprised with 3 D potentially gone at the end of the season they needed to get some younger players ice time, even if they were going for it. Add in the fact it made way for Sherwood and it was a no brainer. It does leave a big hole on the backend and hopefully the young guys will step up. Alternatively maybe another trade or is there a draft pick out there that wasn't coming that may now be coming?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Doug is a very effective "defence first" defenceman who is IMO a smart disciplined stay at home player. He won't cost you with stupid penalties either, plays an effective physical game as well. Only knock would be his inability to stay healthy all year when expected to play big minutes but for his credit has looked very good to this point this year and I hope for his sake and the wolves that he is able to stay healthy all year.
Thanks, that sounds good. The Wolves need stability and someone to take care of the house so to speak.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
There's been a lot of talk here about getting an elite forward now rather than later. With Sherwood, MM delivers. Maybe, he's reading this thread? :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad