Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Big win today.
Defense played pretty well as a whole, would still like to see the forwards speed a little more, but can't complain after a win over OS.

Hopefully we can have a big weekend coming up as well.

Would love to see a number one centre added to our team, Gabe Vilardi would be my top choice.
I really think the Rangers need someone to compliment Mascherin to get him back on track from last season. I have a feeling MM is looking.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Vilardi would cost us too much. He's got another year eligibility in this league. We'd need to deal for a last year player. Whoever the top last year elite centre is on a selling team is who we should be targeting.

That would leave us assets to further improve the team. We are more than one very good player away.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think Vilardi is the best fit personally.
But I can see you side of that

Just not sure there is a top Center that's gonna come cheap, id rather buy Vilardi and maybe sell him again next year if need be

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
How in the world the Rangers won this game is beyond me.
In my 50 yrs of watching them play this may be the worst coached team I've seen.

It is indeed a very poorly coached team. That will be our downfall. It has been for going on a decade now. We're cruising by on talent right now and just barely. The dis-organization on the ice is obvious.

We won because of ADB. Any of our goalies of the last few years and that's a 5-2 loss. Some of the D played fairly well, but the passes are almost never tape-to-tape. Our forwards seem confused about what they're supposed to do. On one particular shift, the D man chipped it in from centre and there was no F1 at all. Two guys fell into F2 and one dropped to F3. At Peewee you don't even see that.

On a positive, I did think Liska, Hugg and Damiani had great games on sheer determination. But when any of our players play well it's almost always on an individual, grind basis. Nothing remotely related to coachable tactics is ever at OHL-contender level. Bunnaman looks lost right now.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It is indeed a very poorly coached team. That will be our downfall. It has been for going on a decade now. We're cruising by on talent right now and just barely. The dis-organization on the ice is obvious.

We won because of ADB. Any of our goalies of the last few years and that's a 5-2 loss. Some of the D played fairly well, but the passes are almost never tape-to-tape. Our forwards seem confused about what they're supposed to do. On one particular shift, the D man chipped it in from centre and there was no F1 at all. Two guys fell into F2 and one dropped to F3. At Peewee you don't even see that.

On a positive, I did think Liska, Hugg and Damiani had great games on sheer determination. But when any of our players play well it's almost always on an individual, grind basis. Nothing remotely related to coachable tactics is ever at OHL-contender level. Bunnaman looks lost right now.

My take is there are no outstanding teams right now and the league is there for the taking. However well coached teams usually emerge as the year progresses and separate themselves. Like you I'm still not convinced our staff can get it done.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
My take is there are no outstanding teams right now and the league is there for the taking. However well coached teams usually emerge as the year progresses and separate themselves. Like you I'm still not convinced our staff can get it done.

This is exactly my fear. On paper we're good. We'll be in the mix from a straight W-L standpoint. But when the games count most at the end of the year, it's the well coached teams who emerge and I have zero faith that we can get it done. Our puck possession game, particularly on zone entries is abysmal for a veteran team. And the worst part for me is nothing ever changes. It's another coaching staff with seemingly no clue what ails us or at least no clue how to improve it.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
When the going gets tough it's the special teams that is usually the deciding factor. Most true contenders are usually in the top 5 in both PP and PK.
I haven't checked but I suspect the Rangers are in the bottom 5 in both.
* With this team, imagine if they could ever get the special teams clicking! For me, that's what I find so frustrating.
During the game yesterday I made a quip to my friend I wonder what the over/under for the Rangers making a tape to tape passes for the game...he thought maybe "5" and I took the under.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
When the going gets tough it's the special teams that is usually the deciding factor. Most true contenders are usually in the top 5 in both PP and PK.
* With this team, imagine if they could ever get the special teams clicking! For me, that's what I find so frustrating.
During the game yesterday I made a quip to my friend I wonder what the over/under for the Rangers making a tape to tape passes for the game...he thought maybe "5" and I took the under.

I agree with this. Getting Mascherin off the point on the power play would be a good first step.
Rangers are 15th in power play (15.1%) and penalty kill (78.1%). Just outside the bottom 5, but too close to be happy about it.
Tape-to-skate passing has been a problem for a few years now.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

Exactly. And what are the most coachable aspects of the game? The special teams. We consistently stink at the most coachable aspects.

And your anecdote about passing is bang on. I have said for years that this team clearly doesn't work enough on passing and pace during practices. You can spot it a mile away. A team that practices crisp passes at tempo will look like the Harlem Globetrotters against Kitchener in time. The number of routine, 10-foot passes we miss is embarrassing.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree. Mascherin should be on the half wall so he can step in with that shot and do damage a la Ovie and the way Brett Hull used to.

Based on yesterday's game, that number one line of Mascherin, Meireles, and Carter has two weak links. Carter doesn't belong in the top six of a contender so I'd be getting him off of that line and dealing for a frontline player to play with Mascherin. Then Meireles not getting points won't be that big issue if he can be the guy who just hustles to dig pucks out of the corner to get them to the two elite players he would be playing with. Then his points will come.

Farwell can rail on all he wants, as he did post game yesterday, that Carter has proven he belongs in the top six on this team. In my opinion, Farwell is still trying to sell last year's Bracco deal. He's decent bottom six player on this team at best.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Exactly. And what are the most coachable aspects of the game? The special teams. We consistently stink at the most coachable aspects.

And your anecdote about passing is bang on. I have said for years that this team clearly doesn't work enough on passing and pace during practices. You can spot it a mile away. A team that practices crisp passes at tempo will look like the Harlem Globetrotters against Kitchener in time. The number of routine, 10-foot passes we miss is embarrassing.
During the intermission yesterday I was talking to Bobber and mentioned how a cpl years ago that Daniel Tkachuk worked feverishly on skills development at every practice. Bobber mentioned that he recalls the Deboers practices that he got on the players cases if they were sloppy or making mistakes in practice.
I haven't gone to any practices this year yet but last year I did and it's was just monotonous line rushes with very little creativity. Maybe it's time for a visit at the Aud during the practice time.
I suspect Mike McKenzie has seen these deficiencies and may be why Andreas Karlsson was hired to increase the skills (ok, I know just because he's Swedish doesn't make him a great coach on skill development! ;) ) Having said that, not sure why Karlsson an retired NHL forward is filling in as d-coach while McKee a retired NHL dman is now in charge of forwards???

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Yesterday's game had a good finish to it. The way they played in the 3rd period is the way they have to play all game long. They actually set the pace in the third and were battling for pucks very hard along the boards and in the corners.

Some noticeable efforts by players too. Liska and Hugg are good workers they are still adjusting to their new country and league and look very good so far. McHugh and Meireles use their speed really well. The PP goal Greg Scored was a beauty. Damiani is one of the best 2 way players in the league. Garreffa's goal to make it 3-1 showed his skill and speed. Hall got under the skin of the Attack forwards. It was not a pleasant experience for them when Connor was on the ice.

Still lots of room for growth and improvement on this team. As mentioned passing and playmaking is not where it needs to be. We are a good team, but not a great team. Adding more skill and scoring is a must if the Rangers are to lead in the Division, Conference and League. The power play needs to be way more effective too. I'm very interested in finding out who our new defensive coach will be.

It's going to be interesting to see what other teams can do. Imagine if Owen Sound gets DiPietro in goal. Imagine if the Rangers get someone like Raddysh, Villardi, Lodnia, Maksimovich, etc.

Some interesting times and games ahead.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
One can only wonder how amazing the Rangers could be with crisper passing and more aggressive shooting. And that's just regular play! And the PP still isn't there despite supposedly working on it. In the Bunnaman interview, he noted that they were given more creative leeway during the PP - perhaps too much?

ADB is now the #1 goalie. He is doing exactly what many were complaining about last season and that's making spectacular saves and keeping the team in the game. With ADB in net and a D that is playing much better, there should be more confidence up front.

All things considered (and said), Rangers were the better team 5 on 5 against a team that's ranked #2 in Canada. They made the Suziki line look ordinary and shut them down when needed. I'm still not as impressed with OS as others have touted. They are a good team....no doubt....but is that residual from last season and do they have another gear?

I sincerely hope that MM is looking for a replacement coach that has what's needed to improve Rangers offense and the practically non-existent PP. And yes, McKee should be focusing on the D and improving their game.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Vilardi would cost us too much. He's got another year eligibility in this league. We'd need to deal for a last year player. Whoever the top last year elite centre is on a selling team is who we should be targeting.

That would leave us assets to further improve the team. We are more than one very good player away.

London just might be considering a sell-off of their assets if they choose to do a complete rebuild. Cliff Pu could conceivably be a player that they'd be willing to part with, and he does have a significant portfoilo of experience. I highly suspect that this will be his last season in the OHL, and that he will graduate into the Sabres system next year. Good on face-offs, has playmaking ability with a winger who can finish, and has speed and puck carrying ability. I realize that the Rangers/Knights don't normally do deals, and there's some past history that might raise some reluctance, but if every option is being examined, Pu might be a candidate.

Spinner

Nov 25, 2015
I am in disbelief with how poorly this teams power play has performed to date. The concerning part isn't the fact that it's running at a 15% success rate, but rather how poorly prepared the players appear. It wouldn't be so concerning if they consistently maintained pressure and had scoring opportunities. But gaining the neutral zone, let alone the offensive zone is consistently a struggle for this team. As touched on in previous posts the basic tape to tape passing has proven to be a real difficulty for this team as well. I have lost track of how many times they have gained the zone and then lost possession just inside the blue line or along the half wall. And despite the PP struggles little to no adjustments are made. Rarely is Kitchener able to maintain consistent offensive zone pressure on the PP which is really starting to make me wonder what exactly is worked on in practices. Kitchener is highly predictable, little to no puck movement, and players consistently standing still. Joey G is a hustler, but boy and I tired of watching him and Mascherin turn pucks over off the half wall. I would love to see more movement, spreading the box and creating more space inside the hash-marks. The way it stands now Kitchener is just incredibly easy to defend.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It would be nice to see the team pick up a real play maker that is a threat every time he is on the ice. Just seems like there is no real chemistry yet with some of the lines. I think Hall and Stanley make a huge difference when they are out on the ice. It forces opposing players to keep their heads up at all times.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I haven't gone to any practices this year yet but last year I did and it's was just monotonous line rushes with very little creativity.

Ward, without having been to any practices, I could have told you this was the case, so it's good to have you confirm it. There's an old coaching saying that "you practice how you play and you play how you practice." If I were to pick two words that I would imagine would describe Ranger practices they would be "monotonous" and "sloppy." Funny those are the exact words you chose.

Players need to be stimulated to improve. If they do the same thing over and over the brain loses stimulation and you stagnate. This means new and creative drills that are hard to execute. And if they fail to execute the passes at tempo, you make them do it over EVERY TIME. This is I'm sure what London does. Their passing and pace improves light years in the first month of the season. I guarantee you that if you watch them practice they aren't doing the same half-assed line rushes day in, day out.

You have to challenge the players by upping the speed and decreasing decision time in practice and it'll do wonders in games.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Interesting read. Josh Brown's OHL 21

Apparently Riley Damiani is the player other teams want as part of the return of any trade. That is one player I would not want to lose. He's a future captain IMO.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Interesting read. Josh Brown's OHL 21

Apparently Riley Damiani is the player other teams want as part of the return of any trade. That is one player I would not want to lose. He's a future captain IMO.

The only way Damiani gets moved is in a deal for a 2 year player.
Vilardi is probably the only player I'd move him for, even then idk.

No rental is worth 3 years of Damiani

Reactions: OhSheila

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Agree.

No way can we move Damiani for the same reason Vilardi wasn't moved last year and Marner wasn't moved in his second year in London. Those teams found a way around dealing those players. No reason why we can't do the same.

I'm not saying he's Vilardi or Marner, but Damiani is a huge part of this year's team. I don't know if we even move him in a Vilardi deal. Even though he has a year eligibility left after this year, Vilardi may stick in the show next year as an underager as Konecny and Fabbri did. It may be too big a gamble.

That's why I am more in favour of dealing for a last year player.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Damiani is one of the players that stepped up last season and continues to show more this year. With out his production the Rangers would struggle offensively at the moment. The kid is a work horse and never gives up on a puck. You can see why he is getting noticed. I think there are a couple of other forwards that may need a change of scenery if a deal is offered to MM but the skilled kids like Damiani are the ones you keep.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
...however, if we are talking DiPietro, then that may be another story. He may be the only player league wide that I include Damiani in a trade for. Because goaltenders rarely play as underagers in the NHL so he is pretty much guaranteed to be back again next year.

But I doubt he is on the block.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When you look at the Knights as an example or maybe even Windsor last season they keep there talented young players and find success. Unless you are absolutely certain you have a shot you should never give up your most talented young players. Teams that do that are always trying to rebuild in my opinion.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
...however, if we are talking DiPietro, then that may be another story. He may be the only player league wide that I include Damiani in a trade for. Because goaltenders rarely play as underagers in the NHL so he is pretty much guaranteed to be back again next year.

But I doubt he is on the block.

That's an interesting point about DiPietro, in that he's essentially a guaranteed two-year elite player. Normally, if you trade for a guy he's either a step below elite because there's a chance he could stick in the NHL, or you're very likely only getting one year out of him. Dipietro is a gamechanger and the best goalie in the league, and is all but certain to be here two more years, meaning he's at peak value now. I wonder if Windsor is considering a move.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
When you look at the Knights as an example or maybe even Windsor last season they keep there talented young players and find success. Unless you are absolutely certain you have a shot you should never give up your most talented young players. Teams that do that are always trying to rebuild in my opinion.

I agree, Bobber. Unless you're the clear favourite and you're putting yourself over the top/positioning for the mem cup, you can't trade your top young talent. Especially when it's pretty much actualized like Damiani. This isn't Robbie Burt we're talking about who is still just a bundle of potential but also a potential bust. Deals can get done with other pieces (e.g., Ladd and draft picks).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad