Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Maybe his shoulder is still an issue???

I've thought that all year, I've seen him grimace after a lot of minor shoulder-to-shoulder bumps. He's got his shot back though that's for sure.
And yeah I hate to add to any negativity but without a rookie goalie in net, Kitch probably loses last night. Here's a scary thought when it comes to defense, Stanley's going to be leaving for world junior camp next weekend I think. Pretty sure Tuesday will be his last game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I've thought that all year, I've seen him grimace after a lot of minor shoulder-to-shoulder bumps. He's got his shot back though that's for sure.
And yeah I hate to add to any negativity but without a rookie goalie in net, Kitch probably loses last night. Here's a scary thought when it comes to defense, Stanley's going to be leaving for world junior camp next weekend I think. Pretty sure Tuesday will be his last game.
Hi Jeffy. The Rangers won the game but they also beat a 16 year old rookie goalie. I understand and appreciate where Bogey is coming from but you really have to put things into proper perspective and look at the big picture.
Not sure what MM has up his sleeve as far as trades go. Coach was saying Bouchard is coming along now and is almost ready to go back in net even though he is not in town I believe. If true that would put trading for a tender on the back burner. Not sure if it was you Jeffy that said Rychel was watching the game at the Aud last night on the Rush. That is interesting because both teams playing could use some type of injection. They do play the Spits next. Could be nothing to it.Having Stanley leave and Hall out puts a big hole on the back end. Teams that backed off when they saw these two hanging around in scrums will take advantage of that situation but it's part of the game. Decisions have to be made on OAs in the near future. One poster on another site suggests the Rangers are just being courteous to Luke Opilka for the time being as they have with other injured players. I think he was spit balling like most of us do.

Last edited:

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I will take the win, but boy was it ugly. Both goalies let in some really soft goals. Looked at the Owen Sound players after they gave up a soft goal and you would not see a more despondent group.

With Erie on Sunday and Windsor on Tuesday I think we will see whether this team is a contender or pretender. They should win both, but then they should be able to beat the bottom team in the East.

On the World Junior front the training camp if December 12th to 15th the only games Kitchener has in that time is home to the Soo, I hope some of the Soo players are recognised.

News from the breakfast ADB hope to be back on the ice by the end of next week. Hall has an MRI tonight. Says based on previous similar injuries he has had feels he should be back in January.

Reactions: bobber and BogeyJ

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Bogey, the goaltending and shoddy defence we showed this week won't win us many games come playoff time. If OS had decent goaltending the last two games, we'd have lost both.

We'll take the two wins, but these issues have to be addressed.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Bogey, the goaltending and shoddy defence we showed this week won't win us many games come playoff time. If OS had decent goaltending the last two games, we'd have lost both.

We'll take the two wins, but these issues have to be addressed.

Definitely can not disagree but same can be said about our goalies as well. A stellar goalie can easily make your defence look superb. Hopefully ABD can come back and play the way he did for those 7-8 games early this year and we will likely all be glowing about our defence. I just feel like sometimes it' easier to dwell on the negatives but sometimes it's nice to point out the positives as well. We just beat OS back to back which is a real nice place to be right now however we managed to do it.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Interesting position this team is in. Big questions on the health of Dumont-Bouchard and Hall.

Soo and Sarnia are looking very good.

We could buy and try to out do the Soo and Sarnia, but they could also make a trade to further improve.

Goaltending is a huge question. Getting DiPetro would be huge.

We also need D and at least 2 more goal scorers.

Glad I'm not the GM. It easy making calls from behind the keyboard but when you're actually the one making the moves and being responsible for them it's quite different.

Reactions: rangersblues

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Interesting position this team is in. Big questions on the health of Dumont-Bouchard and Hall.

Soo and Sarnia are looking very good.

We could buy and try to out do the Soo and Sarnia, but they could also make a trade to further improve.

Goaltending is a huge question. Getting DiPetro would be huge.

We also need D and at least 2 more goal scorers.

Glad I'm not the GM. It easy making calls from behind the keyboard but when you're actually the one making the moves and being responsible for them it's quite different.

You pretty much hit the key points Sheila. MM is in a very difficult position.

- two important components (ADB and Hall) are currently absent from an already inconsistent team.

- the team is not deep down in the standings where selling can be justified.

- the team is more than a couple of quality players away from being considered on par with the "big two".

- the natives are restless. At the beginning of the season fans were being served up with high expectations both through the media and by the very words of the coach himself.

As much as it may sound like I am in favour of selling I am reluctantly in the buyer's camp. Mainly because next year will likely be a step back in the standings, most in part because drafting has been arguably below average in recent years. In fact the futility could extend even further into the future than fans would prefer when you consider this past year's draft - IMO the worst since 1998.

To think that after some time now, the draft cupboard has finally been restocked.....and now a big chunk of that will likely need to be spent on a team that is likely against any odds of reaching the 3rd round. Not the way I was hoping things would unfold. I would love to be told I was wrong 5 months from now though.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think the big spenders will be in the east with the exception of Sarnia and the Soo in the West who are the real contenders in the league but only one will be in the finals. Rangers need too much. They would have to clean the cupboard right out to acquire what they would need to get to the finals in the west. I have no faith in McKee. Our goal tending is risky even with Bouchard who has a history of injuries. To contend you need more veteran 19 year olds and top OA's. If fans think we have that go all in. On a side note I once mentioned that Smith out coached McKee. I guess if a carpenter has the right tools he can do the job. Saginaw is moving up.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
The only way for this team is BUYING.
We couldn't possibly sell this year, with the way the team is made up, we have to go all in.
It'll be 3-4 years before we have a team this good again.

Time to end this cycle with our best possible shot at the title and then start selling off for a few years.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree if we buy it will cost us.
But there's no way we'd be in a better position to contend next year or the year after. Going into next year, our '99 born players are way below par. Meireles and McHugh are nowhere close to being front liners and they won't let Peterson play. And the following year outside of Damiani and Vallati, the '00's are on the thin side too.

No, contending again is at least 3 years away. If we were better served to contend next year then selling may make sense. But after this year we're destined to free fall to the middle of the pack at best for the next couple years at least.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I do understand where everyone is coming from when you look down the road at the next couple of seasons. The Rangers best trading partner pick wise is Windsor looking at the updated data sheet thread. Spits have only two 2nds in nine years I believe and they are a few years off. Rangers have three seconds next year alone. To compete with the big dogs we need a top goal tender first and foremost. Hypothetically what do others think we need or who should they go after. DiPietro is the top goalie mentioned. Rychel will part with him for a high offer. I think he has no choice when you look at the picks they don't have. What about other positions?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I do understand where everyone is coming from when you look down the road at the next couple of seasons. The Rangers best trading partner pick wise is Windsor looking at the updated data sheet thread. Spits have only two 2nds in nine years I believe and they are a few years off. Rangers have three seconds next year alone. To compete with the big dogs we need a top goal tender first and foremost. Hypothetically what do others think we need or who should they go after. DiPietro is the top goalie mentioned. Rychel will part with him for a high offer. I think he has no choice when you look at the picks they don't have. What about other positions?

I think we are likely talking to both Windsor and Erie about prices.
Erie we would be interested in: Raddysh (F), Sambrook (D), Lodnia (F) and Maskimovich (F)
Windsor we would want: DiPietro (G), Luchuk (OA/F), and Day (D)

Really, we could do a huge deal with Windsor where we take all three. Would fit all our needs perfectly.
And releasing Opilka/Bouchard would open the OA spot.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
As per LoneRanger on twitter:

"While everyone looks at plucking the top players off the Otters and Spits,something big is brewing elsewhere"

"McKenzie is in talks with an eastern team for a C and D...would be huge additions if he can get this deal done"

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree Tom. I'd try and do a Windsor deal. That would address our needs more. In a perfect world, ADB would be our #1 but it's not a perfect world. Too many ??? on his health and on him actually being that dependable #1 given the fact he's only played 7 games. Too small a sample size.

So bringing in DiPietro and Day would be a must IMO. Day or Dineen would make me happy but acquiring Day with DiPietro may be a tad cheaper than two separate deals. Bringing in an offensive D would make our second PP unit better. Have Garreffa QB it.

I'm not sure about Luchuk. As has been stated on other threads, he's the big dog in Windsor but his production likely drops going to a deeper team. (Remember the Scott Tregunna deal?) Windsor would want a ton for him based on his numbers. I'm wondering if we could find a cheaper option elsewhere. Do we need another top line forward? I don't think so. I'd bring in a vet with some grit who would play 3rd line who could move up comfortably if need be? Also, I'd rather use the OA spot freed up by acquiring DiPietro on another d-man. We need depth on D for a long playoff run. I want Garreffa moved up front. Bringing in an OA D would do that. He's been good back there offensively but I question his defensive game. Better to have him up front and available to move back if we're in need.

So I've added DiPietro in net. Fixes our goaltending issue and keeps him from OS. He'd be expensive but we could sell him off next year since he has another year to play in the O.

I've added an offensive D in Day to help the PP. Bringing him in moves Garreffa back up front giving us another top 6 forward. We've killed two birds with one stone.

The freed up OA spot allows us a less expensive stay at home D.

Then bring in a depth veteran forward with a little grit. Maybe a guy destined to play an OA season next year.

See. Wasn't that hard! Lol.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for that Nation. Very interesting!

Brazeau and Dineen out of North Bay maybe?

Or Pezzetta and Candella out of Sudbury?

Last edited:

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Those are the most likely options IMO EvenSteven..
Tho Brazeau isn't a center... so we will see

Hopefully these moves are for players that will be in the OHL over world juniors as we need bodies for that time period.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I agree Tom. I'd try and do a Windsor deal. That would address our needs more. In a perfect world, ADB would be our #1 but it's not a perfect world. Too many ??? on his health and on him actually being that dependable #1 given the fact he's only played 7 games. Too small a sample size.

So bringing in DiPietro and Day would be a must IMO. Day or Dineen would make me happy but acquiring Day with DiPietro may be a tad cheaper than two separate deals. Bringing in an offensive D would make our second PP unit better. Have Garreffa QB it.

I'm not sure about Luchuk. As has been stated on other threads, he's the big dog in Windsor but his production likely drops going to a deeper team. (Remember the Scott Tregunna deal?) Windsor would want a ton for him based on his numbers. I'm wondering if we could find a cheaper option elsewhere. Do we need another top line forward? I don't think so. I'd bring in a vet with some grit who would play 3rd line who could move up comfortably if need be? Also, I'd rather use the OA spot freed up by acquiring DiPietro on another d-man. We need depth on D for a long playoff run. I want Garreffa moved up front. Bringing in an OA D would do that. He's been good back there offensively but I question his defensive game. Better to have him up front and available to move back if we're in need.

So I've added DiPietro in net. Fixes our goaltending issue and keeps him from OS. He'd be expensive but we could sell him off next year since he has another year to play in the O.

I've added an offensive D in Day to help the PP. Bringing him in moves Garreffa back up front giving us another top 6 forward. We've killed two birds with one stone.

The freed up OA spot allows us a less expensive stay at home D.

Then bring in a depth veteran forward with a little grit. Maybe a guy destined to play an OA season next year.

See. Wasn't that hard! Lol.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. One thing everyone is overlooking with regard to a trade with Windsor is that you bring in the familiarity factor as well. Don't forget that a Day, DiPietro AND Logan Stanley have played together in a Memorial Cup tournament so they know what it takes to win. And yes, if things fall short, you can always trade DiPietro next year to the highest bidder to recover some assets.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Hopefully these moves are for players that will be in the OHL over world juniors as we need bodies for that time period.

Personally I would rather have players that have the talent to make the world juniors. It's better in the big picture than worrying about a few games.

Reactions: GeoBlue and bobber

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
As per LoneRanger on twitter:

"While everyone looks at plucking the top players off the Otters and Spits,something big is brewing elsewhere"

"McKenzie is in talks with an eastern team for a C and D...would be huge additions if he can get this deal done"

This is a fairly specific rumour. How much do people trust LoneRanger? I know he's from the Rangersrush board. It's one thing when someone who may be close to the team is sharing things on an obscure message board (even more obscure than the OHL section buried within a corner of HF), but when someone's sharing things such as this via Twitter, under their real name, it would be pretty easy for MM to put the kibosh on that. Can anyone speak to credibility here? Are we looking at a Bob McKenzie or an Eklund? If it's the former, why would MM be ok with team business being disseminated like that?
Thanks for that Nation. Very interesting!

Brazeau and Dineen out of North Bay maybe?

Or Pezzetta and Candella out of Sudbury?

I like the idea of using the same source if we're going to be adding multiple players. It's always a gamble when bringing in new faces, as the rush to develop chemistry in time for the playoffs is on. Bringing in guys who have familiarity with each other would be a big help. If Hall is out long-term, I like the idea of adding DiPietro, as I've mentioned earlier (also would depend on OS's plans; blocking them would be a consideration). The price would be high, but some of that can be recouped next year.

I also agree with EvenSteven that Dineen would be a nice add. He brings production from the backend that we currently lack - Stanley has been great, but that's not really his game, and this is the first ~25 games of his career that he's been above average offensively. Moving Joey up front also may eliminate the need for more offence there, as well as allays the chemistry concerns I mentioned earlier.

I think this team's forward group is mostly fine. They've underachieved for the most part this year, but since adding Sherwood have been playing more up to expectations, and Mascherin is starting to get going. Hugg is looking a lot more comfortable, and I think we'll see that increase as the season wears on (same with Liska).

So I would prefer to add a bottom-sixer who brings some intangibles/an element that the young guys who mostly take up those spots don't yet bring. He would also come cheaper and would offset the DiPietro and Dineen costs as well. We'd be looking at something like this:

Gareffa-Damiani-Sherwood
Mascherin-Hugg-Bunnaman
Liska-Meireles-Henderson
McHugh-Acquisition-Carter/Yantsis/Guest/Petizian

Stanley-Dineen
Vallati-Gentles
York-Ladd

DiPietro
Richardson

If/when Hall returns, he slots in for Gentles, who then slots in for York/Ladd. I imagine Ladd/Guest/McHugh would be guys most likely to be involved in deals.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This time of year rumours start to fly around. Its best to just speculate like we do on these threads rather than taking anything too serious unless it comes from someone involved and close to the sport. Most rumours end up just being fluff.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Could also be Mississauga
If they continue to lose as they did today, could add McLoed and Hague to the list of available players

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
But none of these possible deals with eastern teams we may be talking to addresses our issues between the pipes.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I don't think we make a move for a goalie til we see Bouchard for another month to decide.

DiPietro won't be moved until the 2001 trade window in Jan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers have to be better than the teams below them and on most nights they just haven't been. Today they look sluggish plus two soft goals again.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I think they are waiting for ADB to come back. Brown mentioned he is feeling better and is expected back in practise soon. He was stellar when he was playing. If they get the same ADB back, I don't really think there is a need to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad