Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
This is a fairly specific rumour. How much do people trust LoneRanger? I know he's from the Rangersrush board. It's one thing when someone who may be close to the team is sharing things on an obscure message board (even more obscure than the OHL section buried within a corner of HF), but when someone's sharing things such as this via Twitter, under their real name, it would be pretty easy for MM to put the kibosh on that. Can anyone speak to credibility here? Are we looking at a Bob McKenzie or an Eklund? If it's the former, why would MM be ok with team business being disseminated like that?

Lone Ranger has been providing the scoop on RR just shy of 20 years now. That says something in itself.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
You know the old saying "a wins a win" right??

Well last night was a back to back win against second in the Midwest. Why so negative all the time?? Mascherin has played his best hockey the last two games all season.

Oh and gareffa on D ? Another what.. 4 point night??
Yes, a win is a win and two points regardless.
But have you been impressed the majority of this season?...There was about 10 game stretch that the special teams were playing well and they were moving up the standings in these categories. But since then not so much!

If you want sunshine and rainbows about this team from me...it will come when deserved. ;)
I still say regardless what moves MM makes, it will probably go for naught with the coaching staff we have here! Unless McKee has some magic elixir that he hasn't used yet.

Reactions: rangersblues

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Lone Ranger has been providing the scoop on RR just shy of 20 years now. That says something in itself.
How accurate has he been? And has it been information different from that provided by other sources of rumours?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
How accurate has he been? And has it been information different from that provided by other sources of rumours?

I haven't been around forever but he usually has good info.
Most reliable for Kitchener "insider" news I have found

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, I've been around these boards for years, this board and for almost 20 years on rangersrush and you take most rumours with a grain of salt. But when it's LoneRanger, you take notice because he does have a very good track record when it comes to inside info. All his scoops may not come to fruition but trade talks etc fall through sometimes. Doesn't mean they didn't happen.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sheila, just because we're in 1st place in our division doesn't mean we don't have warts. If all we wanted to do was get to the second round, then sure, everything is great. But if we want to actually contend for a championship, and most on here do, there are reasons for concern.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
As fans of the Rangers we all love to see them win any game whether they play well or not. This year in particular with all the hype most want to see 60 minutes of effort almost every game. Last night I thought the team looked a little flat not skating and playing tentative . Some of that is directed at the two weak goals that put them in a hole again in the first period. 23 shots will not give you a win on most nights. Rangers break out is weak at best most times and turn overs still happen on almost every play. McKee said the players were happy with the win but had a ring side seat and knows they were lucky to pick up two points.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Reading different team threads every fan that thinks their team need a goalie upgrade they all point to Dipietro. If the Spits do trade him they are sitting on a gold mine. One poster suggested two 2nds. Two 3rds and a player on another thread. That would just be the starting point in negotiations if that many teams were after him in reality:).

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeylegend11

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Geez from reading the posts on this board you'd never know the Rangers were in first place in their division :)
To put this first place standing in perspective.
With the Rangers winning percentage of 0.655 they are on pace for 89 points.
In past years they would have finished in conference...
2016-2017: 6th
2015-2016: 5th
2014-2015: 3rd
2013-2014: 5th
2012-2013: 4th
2011-2012: 3rd

Mid-West Division:
2016-2017: 4th
2015-2016: 4th
2014-2015: 3rd
2013-2014: 4th
2012-2013: 3rd
2011-2012: 2nd

So while they may be sitting in 1st, the Mid-West is in downcycle and this first place needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
(the projected 89 points is also being garnered against a weaker division and conference than in years past)
The end game is the playoffs and from the looks of this team they have a lot of warts that needs to be corrected. Ignoring the warts does no one any good.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Very true Ward. It's also about the eye test. This team's play is so consistently uninspiring. Believe it or not, they have an absolutely stacked roster with as top end a group of 98s as any team in the league. A monkey could get this roster near the top of the conference. But the difference between that and winning when it counts is in how the team is coached and improved. They are not trending towards a championship based on what I see. And that's not due to a lack of talent.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Very true Ward. It's also about the eye test. This team's play is so consistently uninspiring. Believe it or not, they have an absolutely stacked roster with as top end a group of 98s as any team in the league. A monkey could get this roster near the top of the conference. But the difference between that and winning when it counts is in how the team is coached and improved. They are not trending towards a championship based on what I see. And that's not due to a lack of talent.
From my view of the OHL, a team can do well with talent pre-trade deadline. But after the deadline that's when coaching takes over with the efficiencies of the special teams and preparedness of the teams.
It will be interesting to see what's ahead for the Rangers and the rest of the West come 2018.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Didn't read thread so sorry if already posted but hearing you guys are realling pushing to acquire Hague and Mcleod

Hearing Ladd + Guest + picks

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Reading different team threads every fan that thinks their team need a goalie upgrade they all point to Dipietro. If the Spits do trade him they are sitting on a gold mine. One poster suggested two 2nds. Two 3rds and a player on another thread. That would just be the starting point in negotiations if that many teams were after him in reality:).

I think the value is too high and he ends up staying in Windsor

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Didn't read thread so sorry if already posted but hearing you guys are realling pushing to acquire Hague and Mcleod

Hearing Ladd + Guest + picks
I'm not so sure about this kind of deal. Seems a bit light unless we are talking 8 additional picks of the 2nd and 3rd type along with the players. But I don't see Missy dealing away two of their top players. This team once they get going again will end up top four in the East. Kitchener can push as much as they want but I think pushing for a starting goalie and someone to fill in the void of Hall and dept forward who are not team Canada type players should be the route to take. Maybe Sambrook and Maksimovich would be ideal. Getting a goalie should be the priority though.

WJ

Reactions: HF92

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not so sure about this kind of deal. Seems a bit light unless we are talking 8 additional picks of the 2nd and 3rd type along with the players. But I don't see Missy dealing away two of their top players. This team once they get going again will end up top four in the East. Kitchener can push as much as they want but I think pushing for a starting goalie and someone to fill in the void of Hall and dept forward who are not team Canada type players should be the route to take. Maybe Sambrook and Maksimovich would be ideal. Getting a goalie should be the priority though.

WJ

Respectfully disagree. Dumont-Bouchard is top notch and should be back next week. Hague would fill in for Hall quite well and McLeod addresses a huge need. This Mississauga deal is exactly what the team should be pursuing. Having said that, Ladd can't be moved until the Jan. 1- 10th window. So if that is in fact the deal, it'll either be a two-part deal or we'll be waiting weeks here.

I'm not sure how light it is Wolfman until we see the picks. But that's a 16-year-old 1st rounder and a 17-year-old high 3rd rounder, so it's good value. I imagine a few 2nds would be going back, but doubt you'll see 8.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga will not be sellers! Not with the top line that they have there. They will certainly lose Tippett and M. McLeod next season to the NHL so making the needed moves to try to win this year will happen.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Mississauga will not be sellers! Not with the top line that they have there. They will certainly lose Tippett and M. McLeod next season to the NHL so making the needed moves to try to win this year will happen.
Not many on here really have any idea of the inner workings and thought process of what deals GMs of other teams are working on. Some teams are pro active and want to sell a couple of players for picks and young prospects while their value is high. London has done that before. Neither one of the players mentioned are coming back next year. It's just a rumour anyway. Is their anyone involved in the rumour with any credentials?
One time a quite a few years ago on another forum a bunch of posters bet me thousands of dollars we would get a player named Emmerton I believe. Said he would be on the team by Christmas. He wasn't. The sad thing is I bought three or four farms before I got their cash. They never did pay up. Kidding about the farms;). Lone Ranger in his tweet said something big is brewing elsewhere in the east besides the Spits and Erie. Never mentioned it was the Rangers. As we saw last year with Bracco rumours that were possible real facts can turn on a dime with NTC and better offers.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Tim, I wish I was as confident in ADB as you are. Not only him being top notch (he looked good early on but it was only 7 games) but confident he'll play out the season healthy. These "upper body injuries" that have players out indefinitely worry me. Originally, he was just supposed to miss the following weekend of games. That was what, 6 or 7 weeks ago? Is he one bump on the noggin or neck away from another long stretch on the IR? I'd hate to have him go down again post trade deadline and have an OA spot wasted when it could be used on an inexpensive depth F or D.

The last thing this team needs is to have to rely on the current tandem to get us anywhere in the playoffs.

Reactions: bobber

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Even, the injuries are certainly a concern. For me, they're the only concern. His skill level is top notch. The sample size is much bigger when you consider his run in the Q last year. I would not want to spend assets on DiPietro when we have other holes to fix and a likely answer at G.

Whether or not Missy is selling is another story, but I was just replying to Wolfman's argument that it's not what Kitchener needs. I think it's exactly what they need.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

WJ

I didnt even specify a amount of picks. Picks coula be 2 or 20 lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad