Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
When you consider the prime ice time Hugg is getting both on the top line and pp, I think he needs to show a lot more production. I can't fault McKee for shuffling him down. Hopefully he makes the adjustment to the OHL soon.

I'm not concerned about making the playoffs but considering how much Kitchener has pushed into the pot already, that's hardly a success.
If by production you mean goals......perhaps. But his 13 assists are up there with the top liners. Joey only has 5 goals and I wouldn't exactly call that production.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If by production you mean goals......perhaps. But his 13 assists are up there with the top liners. Joey only has 5 goals and I wouldn't exactly call that production.

By production I mean just over 0.5 points per game for the quality ice time he's getting, isn't going to get it done. And yes there are others to point at.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Would be nice to see Vallati, York, Ladd or Peterson really step up their game.

Peterson needs back in, he's physical and SHOULD be at least solid defensively with two NHL dmen teaching him. But we'll see about that.

Really need this team to figure it out, now. This home and home with Owen Sound is big. Gotta take advantage of their goalie situation, while hopefully they don't on ours.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
This is the projected forward lines for next season according to Brown not necessarily in this order: Just an FYI.
Joseph Garreffa-Rickard Hugg-Adam Liska
Nick McHugh-Greg Meireles-Cole Carter (OA)
Eric Guest-Riley Damiani-Jonathan Yantsis
Carter Tresoor-Michael Petizian-Matt Gordon

I always think its sad when you are looking at next season and it is not even Christmas yet.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Would be nice to see Vallati, York, Ladd or Peterson really step up their game.

Peterson needs back in, he's physical and SHOULD be at least solid defensively with two NHL dmen teaching him. But we'll see about that.

Really need this team to figure it out, now. This home and home with Owen Sound is big. Gotta take advantage of their goalie situation, while hopefully they don't on ours.
One thing that really surprises me is that Joey Gareffa has only 34 shots on goal according to the OHL stat sheet. Not sure how accurate that sheet is. Thought he would of had more being used on the back end so much. Seems like they gave up on young Peterson. If that is the case it's a shame because it will be another wasted draft pick.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah Peyton. Would have been nice had he been able to get a shot here. I could understand if our forward group was ripping it up. But we have as many forwards drastically underachieving than not.

A buddy of mine asked me, "Who do you take out of the lineup to bring Peyton in?" My answer, "The same guy they'll take out when Guest comes back. Or when they choose to put Garreffa back up front." Truth be told, there are a few guys you could scratch here and there and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Any of tonight's bottom six: Carter, Meireles, Henderson, McHugh, Petizian, or Yantsis could be scratched and it wouldn't affect the outcome of the game.

Not only did we have no idea the kind of player Peyton could be, neither did any potential trading partner. I'd have liked to have listened in on the phone calls MM made to GMs around the league trying to find a home for Peyton. He was likely laughed off the phone. "How can you try trading us a player you haven't had in the lineup in weeks??" By never putting him in the lineup, we had no idea what he could do at this level and we ruined any trade value he may have had.

Reactions: rangersblues

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Watched the game on line vs Owen Sound tonight. Rangers had it easy as the goaltending was terrible for Owen Sound. As well the Rangers need to address their goaltending as well. Not a pretty game to watch. Rangers lost Hall with an apparent shoulder injury.While leaving the ice it didn't look good for Hall. Lets's hope he isn't out long term as that would be a big blow to the Rangers.

WJ

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Watched the game on line vs Owen Sound tonight. Rangers had it easy as the goaltending was terrible for Owen Sound. As well the Rangers need to address their goaltending as well. Not a pretty game to watch. Rangers lost Hall with an apparent shoulder injury.While leaving the ice it didn't look good for Hall. Lets's hope he isn't out long term as that would be a big blow to the Rangers.

WJ
Wolfie the Rangers won but nothing comes easy with this squad. Glad they won. Lost Hall on the back end and it didn't look good. Your are right though. Both teams suffer from weak goaltending.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
If Hall is out long term, that may accelerate our timeline for trades. Hopefully he's not. Cuz that could really hurt our season

Browns post game blog:
Ladd and Peterson are ready and able if Connor Hall is out long teem.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Your Rangers got part of their early Christmas gift tonight.
The rest comes Friday.
You're welcome .

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Hall is out long-term, and it was not pretty tonight seeing him leave the ice, what direction do we go in trades?

We already needed one top 3 d-man. Now we might need another one if Hall is out long-term. Goaltending is a huge question mark. The only tender we have who looks to be a decent #1 is out indefinitely. The two that are healthy would be ok backups at best. We may be looking to upgrade there. Another forward wouldn't hurt either since our bottom six can't be depended on for offence. We may be hard pressed to address all our needs depending on the cost of buying two D, a goalie and a forward.

So, would it make more sense to sell?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
If Hall is out long-term, and it was not pretty tonight seeing him leave the ice, what direction do we go in trades?

We already needed one top 3 d-man. Now we might need another one if Hall is out long-term. Goaltending is a huge question mark. The only tender we have who looks to be a decent #1 is out indefinitely. The two that are healthy would be ok backups at best. We may be looking to upgrade there. Another forward wouldn't hurt either since our bottom six can't be depended on for offence. We may be hard pressed to address all our needs depending on the cost of buying two D, a goalie and a forward.

So, would it make more sense to sell?
If Hall's out for the year, I think you go Dipietro. Getting two top-4 D may be too tall of a task. Getting one + Dipietro may be a better use of resources. Especially since he can be sold next year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have been in favour of going after DiPietro for a while now. But many on here absolutely won't hear of it.

If we were to bring in DiPietro, that would free up an overage spot. Then after we go after the high end offensive d-man this team needs (Dineen/Day) we should then bring in an OA stay at home D who can play the minutes Hall would have played. That OA D wouldn't be as expensive as a 19 year old D.

Then moving Garreffa up front would improve secondary scoring and improve the goals against. He doesn't belong back there.

Reactions: GeoBlue

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I have been in favour of going after DiPietro for a while now. But many on here absolutely won't hear of it.

If we were to bring in DiPietro, that would free up an overage spot. Then after we go after the high end offensive d-man this team needs (Dineen/Day) we should then bring in an OA stay at home D who can play the minutes Hall would have played. That OA D wouldn't be as expensive as a 19 year old D.

Then moving Garreffa up front would improve secondary scoring and improve the goals against. He doesn't belong back there.

Plan on getting DiPietro and Day/Dineen?

Gotta think that'll cost you Ladd+at least 6 2nds and at least 3 3rds.

Willing to pay all that?

Reactions: Noofgoof

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That's do-able. According to the OHL draft pick database, Rangers have approximately 14 2nd rounders (once the three come back from Barrie because Tortora ain't coming) and 11 3rd rounders between now and 2026. I say approximately because of the conditions on the Rippon trade.

Bottom line: Rangers have the assets and then some.

And once you consider DiPietro can be moved again next year for half your price above, I call it a no-brainer.

Reactions: dirty12

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Plan on getting DiPietro and Day/Dineen?

Gotta think that'll cost you Ladd+at least 6 2nds and at least 3 3rds.

Willing to pay all that?

In a heartbeat. You'll be able to get a few picks at least back for DiPietro next year. Ladd seemed like a reach at the time, and hasn't shown much to change my mine (albeit in a limited role). Damiani being included would be the only thing that would make me pause.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
First you have to believe the Spits would trade Depietro this year. Second if he is available several teams will make offers that might leave other franchises out of the running quick. Spits hold all the cards. Personally as a Ranger fan I would be excited to have him here but I doubt the MM will sell the farm to get him and the D the team needs to contend if they do what they say the plan is going forward. Ladd our first round pick has hardly played and unless he is a better prospect than we know he won't get the Rangers much. There are teams like Ottawa as an example that have twice the picks the Rangers do may want to take a shot. They might throw out an offer that can't be refused for Dipietro. Some teams are privately owned and even two rounds of play off hockey fills the coffers. As for Hall the coach said he(Hall) was almost in tears in the dressing room when he first saw him. The Rangers have already picked up Stanley, Sherwood and Bouchard. They have two OA goalies out indefinitely. I think they owe it to the fans to let them know where the team is at with these two. Its ridiculous to keep these players on the roster if there is no hope of either returning. Why all the secrecy. Time to make a decision before the whole thing goes in the toilet.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Losing Hall could be an absolute death blow to this team. The D already needed an upgrade and losing who I consider to be their #1 guy means they'd have to spend their assets just to replace an asset they had.

If there was one guy I don't think they could afford to lose it was him.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hall has been down this road before with shoulder injuries. He'll know what is and isn't a long term injury. I'm afraid his tears tell me he KNOWS this is serious. Right now I'd be surprised if he is not out long term.

Based on how easy this injury happened, because it was a very innocent play, this may turn into a chronic thing for him that could impact his career. This wasn't a hard-hit or anything it was just nothing really and all the sudden the shoulder is done.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hall has been down this road before with shoulder injuries. He'll know what is and isn't a long term injury. I'm afraid his tears tell me he KNOWS this is serious. Right now I'd be surprised if he is not out long term.

Based on how easy this injury happened, because it was a very innocent play, this may turn into a chronic thing for him that could impact his career. This wasn't a hard-hit or anything it was just nothing really and all the sudden the shoulder is done.

Agree. The shoulder can absorb a hard hit if braced for contact. A little weight in the opposite direction or an unexpected slight bump can wreck a shoulder. Once it has been damaged ...can tell you that from experience, it will never be perfectly good and susceptible to re-injure

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Shoulder injuries are a curse to the Rangers. Have been for years. Even Ladd went off with one this season already. Mascherin's bothered him for since he came here and even went off favouring his once this season but seem to recover quickly. He did have surgery to repair it.
Even I agree Hall looked like he really did a number on his last night. Hopefully it's just a bad strain because it really puts the team behind the 8 ball with him out.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The coach mentioned the reason he plays Gareffa on D is because the new analytic guy says the numbers are better for the team with him back there. Also said Ladd and Peterson are ready to go if Hall is out. Please don't shoot me. I am only the piano player:eek:. The coach said this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad