Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
They will probably have Peterson travel with the team, but I think his ship has sailed as far as him playing at all unless we get into serious injury problems. And if it gets to that, we are done for anyway so it won't really matter.

As far as I'm concerned, the coaching staff has mishandled this asset. Is he a dependable defenseman at this level? Not right now. Not even close. But that's not his fault. I think he has shown that he has the potential to play at this level. But because there were so many other guys ahead of him on the depth chart, this coaching staff refused to get him in and out of the lineup on a regular enough basis for him to be trustworthy in a postseason situation. I guess it was more important to appease the Rangers' analydiot and keep Garreffa back there as long as they did. There were enough man games missed this year on the back end to get Peterson into the lineup often enough so that he'd be someone we could comfortably turn to should we fall into injury trouble in the post season.

As a matter fact, at this point with the minimal experience he does have, even if he did dress he would likely get next to no minutes as long as there are at least four other defenceman in the lineup.

In any case, now that Hall is not in the mix, I expect Vukojevic and Gentles to eat up the shut down minutes that Hall would have logged. Vukojevic has been excellent defensively and Gentles can play that game to. I love the way he takes the body.

bobber, McEneny and Gentles aren't huge by any means, but I do believe they are big enough to play very good defensive shutdown roles. Both don't mind dishing out the odd hit. No, they're not Connor Hall, but they are not soft either. I believe they can get it done.

But boy would I have loved to see a starting six defensive corps with a healthy Connor Hall in the lineup.

And they don't have a target on their backs for penalties like Hall does.

Yes....Vukojevic is a great pick up for the team. MM took a chance and this time it paid dividends. I'm sure Hall wants to be out there but not to the detriment of his future. And Vuks is showing why he will be high in his draft year. McEneny has been solid for the most part and Gentles gets better with every shift. Too bad that Pederson wasn't developed......

We better see Joey G up on the Mascherin line where he belongs! And I hope Liska is back soon but Guess or Petzian will fill in the 4th line nicely.

Time for the Rangers to take things off cruise mode and do this!

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
As per 570..looks like Liska is back in tonight, at least that's what it sounded like. McKee was on the phone and not in studio so I may have miss heard it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
One thing I would really like to see is a great start to this game. Lets get that first goal instead of giving up a quick one on the first shot for a change. Hopefully they come out flying with lots of energy. The Storm will want to take the crowd out of the game as soon as possible. Rangers cannot take the Storm lightly because they have proven they can score on both our goaltenders. This is the time for the captain and other vets to really how bad they want this.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
One thing I would really like to see is a great start to this game. Lets get that first goal instead of giving up a quick one on the first shot for a change. Hopefully they come out flying with lots of energy. The Storm will want to take the crowd out of the game as soon as possible. Rangers cannot take the Storm lightly because they have proven they can score on both our goaltenders. This is the time for the captain and other vets to really how bad they want this.

I'm expecting nothing less bobber. I expect this team to go at Guelph in waves offensively. I expect them to practice staying incredibly disciplined in preparation for round two against an undisciplined team in Sarnia.

I expect a four-game sweep with minimal physicality, maximum discipline with maximum efficiency.

We need to get though this round free and clear of any injuries or suspensions. There's no reason for hate against the Guelph Storm. It has been a passive 8 game series this year and I would like to see it remain that way in the playoffs. I don't see any need for the Rangers to instigate any extracurricular activities that may lead to any of our players not being 100% physically or out of the lineup going into around two. If Guelph wants to go in that direction then let them. Stay disciplined and let them take the penalties.

There's been no "history" with Guelph this year and to be on the safe side, I'd like to keep it that way. It's in our best interests to do so going forward.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
...I heard from someone with close ties to senior Kitchener leadership that the city is planning a new downtown arena. Have to take my work for it (I hate saying this) but the source is trust worthy. Sounded like a Budweiser Gardens-style arena ...

Don't wait up ...

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Don’t know how serious it is/if there is any semblance of an ETA, but I heard from someone with close ties to senior Kitchener leadership that the city is planning a new downtown arena. Have to take my work for it (I hate saying this) but the source is trust worthy. Sounded like a Budweiser Gardens-style arena but it doesn’t sound like anything is concrete yet. Would be very cool, especially with the recent and ongoing revitalization of the Downtown-Uptown corridor. I can’t seem to find anything in the local news but maybe I’m living under a rock too.

I have heard zero whispers around the Aud on this topic. I talk frequently with a few connected people who, if there were rumblings that this were true, I would've heard something about it.

The dreams of those who were hoping for a new building went out the window for the foreseeable future due to the funding of the LRT. The LRT sucked the $$$ away from any arena project.

Of course, that was back when the new addition was built at the Aud.

IMO, the only way a new downtown arena is built anytime soon is if private interests steps up to foot the majority of the bill. Considering the massive $$$ invested in downtown real estate due to the LRT, it wouldn't surprise me if something like that were to happen.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The poor guy took a lot of flak in this topic, too! I still think it's usually a good bet to assume a second-rounder signs. You'll be right 95% of the time.

Although I haven't heard it, people around the league might be suspicious that our drafting Vukojevic in the 2nd round, the top ranked D in the draft and ranked fifth overall in the draft, was a cooked deal. I doubt very much if it was because if so, he would've reported here in September.

I think this was a genuine gamble, likely based on discussions with the Vukojevic camp, on the part of MM.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I have heard zero whispers around the Aud on this topic. I talk frequently with a few connected people who, if there were rumblings that this were true, I would've heard something about it.

The dreams of those who were hoping for a new building went out the window for the foreseeable future due to the funding of the LRT. The LRT sucked the $$$ away from any arena project.

IMO, the only way a new downtown arena is built anytime soon is if private interests steps up to foot the majority of the bill. Considering the massive $$$ invested in downtown real estate due to the LRT, it wouldn't surprise me if something like that were to happen.
One of the assistant coach's father once told me at practice that the Rangers were in the process of building a 12000 seat arena out by the 401 a few years back. I think that turned out to be the Sports World rink. It went over like a lead fart.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London

Yep. It's private funding or nothing. While I would love to build Kitchener a new facility, I just don't have enough money. Ill check the couch when I get home though.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I didn't hear it from anyone who works at the Aud, the person I heard it from is a senior public servant for the city who has worked on and is aware of downtown corridor revitalization projects, both public and private. Didn't say whether it was a public or private initative, but it sounded like the LRT and it's impact on downtown has influenced (positively) the discussion. It was a less than five minute conversation I had on the subject, and I got zero sense about a timeline (whether it's something they've only just brought up, or whether they're actively exploring it, I'm not sure).

I posted just to wonder if anyone else had heard something, either from similar city/regional sources, or from Rangers related sources. If there is not much out yet, it's probably just a policy discussion and not a confirmation that something is definitely going to happen.

I will say this though, from what I've heard from Region and Kitchener city officials, is that the LRT is not in any way stopping or hindering the development of other projects, even in the immediate future. Even though there has been issues with cost overruns and Bombardier production problems, the Region and city both view the project as part of a greater effort to develop the area. They want the LRT to be at the heart of many different initiatives, whether that's condo development in the downtown-uptown corridor, expansion of the GO Station, high-speed rail to Toronto, and further entertainment/commercial opportunities in the CBD.

Reactions: jmkrangers

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I didn't hear it from anyone who works at the Aud, the person I heard it from is a senior public servant for the city who has worked on and is aware of downtown corridor revitalization projects, both public and private. Didn't say whether it was a public or private initative, but it sounded like the LRT and it's impact on downtown has influenced (positively) the discussion. It was a less than five minute conversation I had on the subject, and I got zero sense about a timeline (whether it's something they've only just brought up, or whether they're actively exploring it, I'm not sure).

I posted just to wonder if anyone else had heard something, either from similar city/regional sources, or from Rangers related sources. If there is not much out yet, it's probably just a policy discussion and not a confirmation that something is definitely going to happen.

I will say this though, from what I've heard from Region and Kitchener city officials, is that the LRT is not in any way stopping or hindering the development of other projects, even in the immediate future. Even though there has been issues with cost overruns and Bombardier production problems, the Region and city both view the project as part of a greater effort to develop the area. They want the LRT to be at the heart of many different initiatives, whether that's condo development in the downtown-uptown corridor, expansion of the GO Station, high-speed rail to Toronto, and further entertainment/commercial opportunities in the CBD.
What you may have heard was the city in their long range plan has planned for a 12,000 seat arena somewhere downtown (think Clock Tower area). I would imagine that's all that is, since everyone knows the Aud is pushing 70 yrs old soon, it common sense to have the long term planning done. If and when the arena plan gets any traction this pre-planning needed to be done. If not, it will set the arena back another 10 yrs.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm expecting nothing less bobber. I expect this team to go at Guelph in waves offensively. I expect them to practice staying incredibly disciplined in preparation for round two against an undisciplined team in Sarnia.

I expect a four-game sweep with minimal physicality, maximum discipline with maximum efficiency.

We need to get though this round free and clear of any injuries or suspensions. There's no reason for hate against the Guelph Storm. It has been a passive 8 game series this year and I would like to see it remain that way in the playoffs. I don't see any need for the Rangers to instigate any extracurricular activities that may lead to any of our players not being 100% physically or out of the lineup going into around two. If Guelph wants to go in that direction then let them. Stay disciplined and let them take the penalties.

There's been no "history" with Guelph this year and to be on the safe side, I'd like to keep it that way. It's in our best interests to do so going forward.

Expectation answered.

Reactions: nelli27

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Cruise mode is officially OFF. And Pope and the rest of the media need to put "Rangers lost their last three....two to Guelph" in the garbage where it belongs. Are they all that dense to think Rangers were playing their "A" game then?? Or are they just that desperate to build up something that's not there?

Nice game in Sarnia last night!! And Burchell was officiating. DePietro is a game changer and the Sting got stung.

How about that Vuks?? The kid is something special for sure. And 7 goals from 7 different players. That bodes well especially considering the Smith-Brown-Sherwood line wasn't exactly clicking.

More of the same on Sunday please!

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Another game vs Guelph, another example where Ryan Merkley will drop like a rock at the NHL draft. Boy was he ever lazy last night. What a waste of talent. He was finally benched after the 7th goal.

There was one play where he let Damiani blow by him on a Ranger PK on the third. He just gave up on the play. McFadden really chewed him out on the ice for it. It's common knowledge around the league that this Merkley is not liked even by teammates and it's easy to see why.

Speaking of McFadden? What a class act!! Too bad we didn't have room for another OA on the roster. He could have been included in the Smith deal.

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
Cruise mode is officially OFF. And Pope and the rest of the media need to put "Rangers lost their last three....two to Guelph" in the garbage where it belongs. Are they all that dense to think Rangers were playing their "A" game then?? Or are they just that desperate to build up something that's not there?

Nice game in Sarnia last night!! And Burchell was officiating. DePietro is a game changer and the Sting got stung.

How about that Vuks?? The kid is something special for sure. And 7 goals from 7 different players. That bodes well especially considering the Smith-Brown-Sherwood line wasn't exactly clicking.

More of the same on Sunday please!
I heard several fans call Farwell’s postgame show at the end of the regular season with a sky is falling attitude, saying the Rangers wouldn’t get out of the first round. While I didn’t specifically hear anyone in the media opining on the three losses to end the season — two to Guelph — isn’t that just stating a fact? That’s just what happened. To me it sounded like fans were a lot more concerned about the skid to end the season.

I loved the McHugh-Damiani-Meireles line last night. If they get some momentum from the first round, they could be very dangerous in the later rounds.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Some say Merkley’s head grew bigger than his body. It’s no wonder he’s in the doghouse even though he has 67 points offensively he is a minus 27 in the plus/minus ratio. Certainly isn’t playing up to his #1 draft pick status.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
What you may have heard was the city in their long range plan has planned for a 12,000 seat arena somewhere downtown (think Clock Tower area). I would imagine that's all that is, since everyone knows the Aud is pushing 70 yrs old soon, it common sense to have the long term planning done. If and when the arena plan gets any traction this pre-planning needed to be done. If not, it will set the arena back another 10 yrs.

All of that I heard. ~10,000 seat arena, give or take a few thousand seats, with the Clock Tower area was mentioned as a potential location (and the area around Victoria & King was mentioned as well). Clock Tower area makes sense with the new developments around there, like the big condo going up kitty corner from the bus terminal.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Great game last night. Once the Rangers got going in the first and scored 5 the Storm was basically done in this game. I am sure the next game will be more of a challenge. On the Pope thing I know he thought he thought he was doing his job asking Mascherin about wanting to be traded from the Panthers but why take the wind out of his sails after the game? Mascherin gave him the right answer. The question should not have been asked IMO. They need to stick to the series. Everyone was going last night. Like to see the Brown crew dominate a little more but having two top lines gives the Storm a challenge to cover both. Sarnia took a beating last night at the hand of the Spits. DiPietro stood on his head. What an upset that would be if the Spits won that series.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Great game last night. Once the Rangers got going in the first and scored 5 the Storm was basically done in this game. I am sure the next game will be more of a challenge. On the Pope thing I know he thought he thought he was doing his job asking Mascherin about wanting to be traded from the Panthers but why take the wind out of his sails after the game? Mascherin gave him the right answer. The question should not have been asked IMO. They need to stick to the series. Everyone was going last night. Like to see the Brown crew dominate a little more but having two top lines gives the Storm a challenge to cover both. Sarnia took a beating last night at the hand of the Spits. DiPietro stood on his head. What an upset that would be if the Spits won that series.

I agree on Pope. Keep off ice stuff off the air. Pope tries to be "that guy" who isn't afraid to ask the tough questions but to ask that question was inappropriate IMO. He did the same thing questioning McKee about the benching of Brown.

Regarding Windsor and DiPietro: I don't think it helps the Rangers long term were they to upset Sarnia. That would mean the Soo would play them instead of the winner of OS/Lon. That would be an easier 2nd round series for the Soo IMO.

I have OS beating London. We'd play OS under the above circumstance. We split the season series vs OS this year but won the season series vs Sarnia. OS is playing great hockey and would likely be at least as tough an opponant as Sarnia would be for us - maybe tougher physically.

Our best bet at beating the Soo in the third round would be if we go into that round just as healthy and rested as they are. I doubt that would be the case with a Soo/Win, Kit/OS second round.

I'd rather have us play Sarnia and the Soo play OS. OS is capable of winning a couple games off of the Soo and taking a physical toll on them while going so.

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
one thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned from last night's game is just how strong our 4th line of Liska-Hugg-Yantsis was. They played a strong forecheck game and that gave the slower Storm defence fits. And they were rewarded with a ton of ice time because of it. Rolling of 4 effective lines reminded us of January after the trade deadline when we had a stretch of 8-10 games where I think we all thought this team can't be beat. The only real critique I had from last night was the slow start (again). I doubt we lose the game regardless but if Super Mario doesn't make that big save early and the Storm score first, the shadows of doubt start to creep in a bit. That being said, if we play with the same intensity, especially from guys like Mascherin, this series should be short IMHO. :)

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Josh Brown said on his blog that the good news about Hall having off season surgery likely means he'll be back next year as an OA.

Small consolation.

I'd trade a Hall OA season for a healthy Hall for this playoff run in a second!!!

Reactions: SYWTom

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
one thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned from last night's game is just how strong our 4th line of Liska-Hugg-Yantsis was. They played a strong forecheck game and that gave the slower Storm defence fits. And they were rewarded with a ton of ice time because of it. Rolling of 4 effective lines reminded us of January after the trade deadline when we had a stretch of 8-10 games where I think we all thought this team can't be beat. The only real critique I had from last night was the slow start (again). I doubt we lose the game regardless but if Super Mario doesn't make that big save early and the Storm score first, the shadows of doubt start to creep in a bit. That being said, if we play with the same intensity, especially from guys like Mascherin, this series should be short IMHO. :)
Rangerette I did say everyone was going at night and I totally agree that Yantsis line was a factor. They were on a mission last night. I would also like to see a better start. Good points!

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Might be the best game I've seen us play all year! Getting Vuk to come to Kitchener might be the best move of the year. The guy just keeps getting better and is making it less painful missing Hall. Not that I wouldn't love to see Hall playing but I am pretty happy with Stanley, McEnemy, Vuk, Gentles, York and Vallati as our 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: IceCold
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad