Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Torgo, if games this year vs Guelph have been more spirited affairs, then I haven't noticed it enough for it to matter. And now since the Smith deal, his friendly interaction with his ex teammates has been a bit of a distraction to me. But I suppose it's tough to fault Smith seeing as how it's pretty much family for him over on the other side.

I'm not a fan of the bland, colourless type of hockey that comes from playing what should amount to a short and rivalryless (is that a word? Lol) series. But on the positive side, perhaps this is the best matchup. Maybe less hate and intensity equals less chance for injury and suspension.

In my opinion though, intense rivalry or hum drum uneventful series, it should be short and hopefully our guys get through it unscathed.

I just took a few minutes to go back over our season series versus Guelph. A pretty tame eight games if you ask me. The teams averaged 18 pims per game total.

Over the course of the entire eight games there was one fight (McHugh / Schnurr) and that was in the blowout game where the Rangers put up a 10 spot.

In a different game there was one double minor for spearing assessed to Cam Hillis and there was the phantom checking to the head call against Yantsis in another game. Neither of those calls resulted in any kind of push back or escalation - at least nothing that made it to the game sheet.

There was a grand total of four roughing penalties total between the two teams over the course of the eight games. Only one time did two guys go off for coincidental roughing minors. Certainly not what you'd expect from a couple teams that don't like each other.

There will be more of a rivalry / sideshow created between the referees and Ryan Merkley's whining and complaining all night.

I can't wait for the second round.

Geez, you must be a riot at parties lol.

Having just played each other twice, having a history of animosity (albeit from a few years ago), and having a couple of loose cannons on either side should make for a pretty good series, IMO. Playing eachother what will amount to 6-9 times over about 2 1/2 weeks should spark some bad blood, even in this vanilla league.

Plus, the fact that it's easy for fans to travel - especially Rangers fans - should up the emotional investment for fans at the arena as well.

I think Guelph drew the right opponent.....of the teams they could have played, I think they might be able to hang with the Rangers. Who knows though...I think it's going to be a fun ending (or maybe not?!?!) to an otherwise pretty disheartening and disappointing season.

Hoping for an exciting and long series, unless the Storm wins in 4 of course.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
The media is already selling it with "lost the last three games". Seriously? Agreed that in the ending weeks, it was "don't get hurt" and "rest up for the playoffs". In this series, pour on the speed, make the opposing net a shooting gallery, and don't take any crap but ignore any goading. Get this done.

...........and hit the net!

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Mascherin won't sign with FLA, asked to be traded

If I recall correctly I remember Adam saying after he had his shoulder surgery that they (Florida) were never in contact with him throughout the process. I would imagine that they hadn’t signed him until now, and seemingly neglected him that he felt a little burned by the organization.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I see Brown slipped in his article today that Hall is likely to miss the series against Guelph and possibly the remainder of the year. If that's the case, just get him the surgery yesterday.

That is a massive loss by the way. Easily our top shut-down guy by a mile.
Agreed on all points!.....and Hall is now the early contender for wearing the C next season!

Reactions: Tim Wallach

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My feelings on Connor Hall:

I'm not sure if it has been announced what type of shoulder injury he has, but if it's the kind of shoulder injury that requires surgery, but they're going to wait until the off-season, and he is therefore just as susceptible to re-injuring it again as easily as he did the last couple times he did so this year, then I would be holding him out of the lineup until we play important games.

Why risk him reinjuring it again and having him sit out again week to week? That would mean he'd miss playoff games and possibly be forced to shut it down for the season.Truth be told, both times this year that he injured his shoulder, it was on plays where it was kind of hard to believe an injury could have occurred on such an innocent play.

If the above is the case, I would be holding him out of the lineup until playoff time. We should have a relatively easy first round. I would allow him to use those games to get himself back into game shape and get his timing back. Then he should be ready to play his usual minutes going into round two. If he eventually does have another shoulder injury on a fluke play, then at least the team will have had him in the lineup for playoff games – games that matter.

I posted this post on February 23. It was back when Hall was rumoured to be returning from his shoulder injury.

Man am I pissed off right now. I believe the coaching staff should never have put him back in the lineup until there were meaningful games to be played.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Now that Hall is more than likely done for the season will they bring back Pederson. You can never have enough defensemen in the play offs. There is a lot more physical play in the play offs and hitting will be bumped up. Certain players will have targets on their backs. If the coach puts Joey back on defense he will get nailed constantly. The Rangers back end is not overly large by any means. Gentles , McEneny and York are not big physical guys and opposing teams usually focus on wearing down the D in the play offs. Just a thought.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I see Brown slipped in his article today that Hall is likely to miss the series against Guelph and possibly the remainder of the year. If that's the case, just get him the surgery yesterday.

Wouldn't be a Rangers team without a top player injured!

Excited to get this series started. There are loads of tickets left. I know it's traditionally not a best selling round, but come on people.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Now that Hall is more than likely done for the season will they bring back Pederson. You can never have enough defensemen in the play offs. There is a lot more physical play in the play offs and hitting will be bumped up. Certain players will have targets on their backs. If the coach puts Joey back on defense he will get nailed constantly. The Rangers back end is not overly large by any means. Gentles , McEneny and York are not big physical guys and opposing teams usually focus on wearing down the D in the play offs. Just a thought.

They will probably have Peterson travel with the team, but I think his ship has sailed as far as him playing at all unless we get into serious injury problems. And if it gets to that, we are done for anyway so it won't really matter.

As far as I'm concerned, the coaching staff has mishandled this asset. Is he a dependable defenseman at this level? Not right now. Not even close. But that's not his fault. I think he has shown that he has the potential to play at this level. But because there were so many other guys ahead of him on the depth chart, this coaching staff refused to get him in and out of the lineup on a regular enough basis for him to be trustworthy in a postseason situation. I guess it was more important to appease the Rangers' analydiot and keep Garreffa back there as long as they did. There were enough man games missed this year on the back end to get Peterson into the lineup often enough so that he'd be someone we could comfortably turn to should we fall into injury trouble in the post season.

As a matter fact, at this point with the minimal experience he does have, even if he did dress he would likely get next to no minutes as long as there are at least four other defenceman in the lineup.

In any case, now that Hall is not in the mix, I expect Vukojevic and Gentles to eat up the shut down minutes that Hall would have logged. Vukojevic has been excellent defensively and Gentles can play that game to. I love the way he takes the body.

bobber, McEneny and Gentles aren't huge by any means, but I do believe they are big enough to play very good defensive shutdown roles. Both don't mind dishing out the odd hit. No, they're not Connor Hall, but they are not soft either. I believe they can get it done.

But boy would I have loved to see a starting six defensive corps with a healthy Connor Hall in the lineup.

Reactions: bobber

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
If I recall correctly I remember Adam saying after he had his shoulder surgery that they (Florida) were never in contact with him throughout the process. I would imagine that they hadn’t signed him until now, and seemingly neglected him that he felt a little burned by the organization.
And I have a feeling that his agent is on this as well. Masch has worked hard this season to be more of a two-way player....sometimes to the detriment of just taking the shot. Florida's loss.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Just drop the puck...even the buses can't wait! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180322_173354.jpg
    IMG_20180322_173354.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 13

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
. Masch has worked hard this season to be more of a two-way player....sometimes to the detriment of just taking the shot. Florida's loss.

Very good point! One of the criticisms on Mascherin in his first two or three seasons was that he was a one way player and a liability defensively.

To his credit, I believe he's a much better two way player as is evident this year. I can't remember the last time anyone on here or around the Aud ripped on him for only playing one way - dogging it coming back on his own end.

The only issue I and others have with him this year is that he doesn't use his shot enough and he tries to do too much with the puck (beat guys one on one) instead of the safe move or dishing to an open man. This isn't a sign of being selfish because if he was selfish, he'd be shooting most every time. Selfish players don't pass off as often as he does around the opposition's net.

Hey, you won't find him out there killing many penalties but as far as improving his all around game goes, he's done a very good job.

You're right. Florida's loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My predictions:

Hamilton in 4.
Barrie in 6.
Kingston in 6.
Niagara in 7.

Soo in 4.
Kitchener in 4.
Sarnia in 5.
Owen Sound in 6.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

How's the health of the rest of our guys? Brown? Stanley?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
How's the health of the rest of our guys? Brown? Stanley?

Stanley is as close to 100% as anyone is at this time of the season. Brown still bugged by that arm, but is more or less okay. My biggest concern is that he still isn't taking faceoffs and I think that is a HUGE piece he needs to bring to the table in the playoffs. That is one of the big reasons I was excited about the acquisition. I won't be thrilled if he starts tomorrow without taking draws.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Don’t know how serious it is/if there is any semblance of an ETA, but I heard from someone with close ties to senior Kitchener leadership that the city is planning a new downtown arena. Have to take my work for it (I hate saying this) but the source is trust worthy. Sounded like a Budweiser Gardens-style arena but it doesn’t sound like anything is concrete yet. Would be very cool, especially with the recent and ongoing revitalization of the Downtown-Uptown corridor. I can’t seem to find anything in the local news but maybe I’m living under a rock too.

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
I feel awful for Hall. Heart and soul guy but it sounds like he’s done for the year. As for Mascherin, I’d guess he’s hoping for a great playoff run to increase his value to another team.

Let’s get these playoffs going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese