Kitchener Rangers 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Drake Rymsha is sitting at home awaiting a trade out of Ottawa. I like his game. He has 15 G and 29 pts thus far this year. As an 18 year old, he has this year, next year and a likely OA season left in the league. If we are looking to contend over the next two years he'd be a good guy to have around.

I wonder if there's a way that he winds up in Kitchener? Ottawa isn't contending this year so won't be interested in older players. I'm not in favor of sending Ottawa any of our quality youth as it would be a sideways move. What would it take to get a deal done? A pick or two? Our cupboard isn't that stocked up right now but if we can turn Bracco and an OA d-man or two into picks, maybe we move a pick or two to Ottawa for him.

Just a thought.

My thoughts earlier today.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Reading into your use of emojis (last two posts), I would say that you have some inside info regarding Bracco. Don't hesitate to send me a PM, if that's the case. I can keep a secret! :sarcasm:

He may have the Knights on his "go to" list (why wouldnt he??) but is he on Londons want list? (why wouldn't he be?)

I still think with the Sarnia/Petes trade it may force a few teams in the East to become more involved in the trade talks!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Wonder if the Rangers would be interested in 67s Drake Rysma. Home waiting a trade.

Nothing against Rymsha but why would the Rangers be interested????
Not sure if he really fills a need (IMHO it D-men) this season or next.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Nothing against Rymsha but why????

No reason just wondering? He is an 18 year old with quite a few points. Not sure where his head is at though. He came from the Knights to Ottawa then ask for a trade there. Rangers must have the radar on when these types of things come up. Just generalizing in my old age:)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
No reason just wondering? He is an 18 year old with quite a few points. Not sure where his head is at though. He came from the Knights to Ottawa then ask for a trade there. Rangers must have the radar on when these types of things come up. Just generalizing in my old age:)

Oh no doubt that Hiebert would take a look at this player but not sure if Rymsha would be the centre piece to the trade for the Rangers.
BUT WHO KNOWS????? :popcorn:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Nothing against Rymsha but why would the Rangers be interested????
Not sure if he really fills a need (IMHO it D-men) this season or next.

I was just throwing it out there too.

I also believe we have to add D going forward. Just wondering out load: Is there a scenario where we send both OA d-men to the Soo where DeMeo comes back our way? The Soo would have to cast off Miller though. Is he that big of an asset for them this year? The reason I ask that is because his PPG has dropped off since the first month of the season. And, I've seen some posters on the Soo board draw up lines after they've acquired this star player or that star player where they have him penciled in on the 4th line.

Methinks an OA on the fourth line, one with Miller's style of play, is a waste of an OA spot.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I would be very surprised if Andersson comes next year. He'll be an NHL 1st rounder. He'll either be in the NHL, AHL or playing for $$ in Europe.

Therefore, I expect us to go with Schiemenz and an import selected in the next import draft.

Personally, if it were me, I'd be monitoring Schiemenz the rest of the season and then deciding if even we bring him back. As it stands now, the only way he gets into the lineup is if there are injuries. When he is in the lineup, he struggles. Imports have to be top six (F) or top for (D) players in this league. This is his draft year and to me, as an import, he should be a top six player. He clearly isn't even close.

Throw Peterson into this evaluation period also, Garreffa is far too important to the team to drop him back there battling players 12" taller and 50 lbs heavier than him on a double-shifting basis!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Throw Peterson into this evaluation period also, Garreffa is far too important to the team to drop him back there battling players 12" taller and 50 lbs heavier than him on a double-shifting basis!

That's a very good point. The difference though is the fact Cedric is an import and would have to be released to acquire/draft another. We can evaluate Peterson into next year.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
That's a very good point. The difference though is the fact Cedric is an import and would have to be released to acquire/draft another. We can evaluate Peterson into next year.

Cedric gave up a full scholarship to a NCAA powerhouse in the University of Maine.....not sure if they could just "cut bait" that easily.
Personally I rather see what Peterson can bring this season than next, at age 17 it should be done now. If he plays well, great to have him next season or it increases his trade value in the off season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Cedric gave up a full scholarship to a NCAA powerhouse in the University of Maine.....not sure if they could just "cut bait" that easily.
Personally I rather see what Peterson can bring this season than next, at age 17 it should be done now. If he plays well, great to have him next season or it increases his trade value in the off season.

Very true on Peterson.

As far as Cedric goes, full scholarship or not, he hasn't shown yet whether or not he can play at this level. True, he is young, but this is his draft year. He should at the very least never be a healthy scratch.

I understand "cutting bait" may send a bad message to the next player who may want to abandon a scholarship to come to the Rangers, but at some point, we have to decide if this guy can be an impact player here. If not, then it's a waste of an import spot. That spot could be filled by an impact player who would help us out big time over the next two years.

I truly don't expect the Rangers to do anything except have Cedric play out his eligibility here. Every time you bring in an import, the team has to pay their respective federation "x" amount of dollars to get their release (at least they used to anyway). If that is still the case, then there's no way this hierarchy spends that kind of money any more than it wants to.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Very true on Peterson.

As far as Cedric goes, full scholarship or not, he hasn't shown yet whether or not he can play at this level. True, he is young, but this is his draft year. He should at the very least never be a healthy scratch.

I understand "cutting bait" may send a bad message to the next player who may want to abandon a scholarship to come to the Rangers, but at some point, we have to decide if this guy can be an impact player here. If not, then it's a waste of an import spot. That spot could be filled by an impact player who would help us out big time over the next two years.

I truly don't expect the Rangers to do anything except have Cedric play out his eligibility here. Every time you bring in an import, the team has to pay their respective federation "x" amount of dollars to get their release (at least they used to anyway). If that is still the case, then there's no way this hierarchy spends that kind of money any more than it wants to.

agreed on all counts.
Wish that Import trade rule was 50 weeks or so and not a calendar year from import draft.
Just ties the hands of the GMs too much and it would still keep the Import player in the league.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
From Browns twitter:Value of top six forwards going up in wake of recent deals by Erie and Peterborough

Get the big cheque book out! # pay to play

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
All the more reason to trade him,
His value is a top 99 or 2000 and 2nds at least.

I heard/read here or on another forum that he won't go anywhere but a contender. Gotta hope someone on team USA like Parsons is talking about London.

They have the assets.

Sucks that we are at a stalemate with Windsor. We clearly want Vilardi. Is there anything we can add to sell them on it?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Bracco goal and an assist. Players of the game today for the USA. Good for him.

The Swiss gave the US a very tough game and could have easily won. Definitely some good players being developed in Switzerland, Denmark etc. It should make it easier to find top level imports than it has in the past.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
All the more reason to trade him,
His value is a top 99 or 2000 and 2nds at least.

I heard/read here or on another forum that he won't go anywhere but a contender. Gotta hope someone on team USA like Parsons is talking about London.

They have the assets.

Sucks that we are at a stalemate with Windsor. We clearly want Vilardi. Is there anything we can add to sell them on it?

Throw in those draft picks we wasted on Fabbri and Patterson and you'd have a deal.

I don't think we get Vilardi or Thomas from London.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Swiss gave the US a very tough game and could have easily won. Definitely some good players being developed in Switzerland, Denmark etc. It should make it easier to find top level imports than it has in the past.

Overall the Swiss carried the play. Not sure of the Swiss players name that scored twice and almost tied the game late but he is a hell of a player. Wish we had him here.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Overall the Swiss carried the play. Not sure of the Swiss players name that scored twice and almost tied the game late but he is a hell of a player. Wish we had him here.

Hischier will go top-5 in the upcoming NHL draft.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

Vilardi has a NTC and in his draft year on Mem Cup hosting team. Any deal for him would have to be a two part variety ie Bracco for a whackload of picks this year, and then Vilardi for similar whackload of picks in the off-season. Small risk he'd stick in the pro's though as he's pegged as a mid first rounder in NHL draft. Problem with this is Windsor doesn't have a whackload of picks to offer, so it would have to be whatever picks they have and maybe a couple youngsters like Boka and Carter sorta deal and London could blow that offer out of the water so it would be obvious that it was a two-part deal. Even if London admitted to making one before with the Kadri deal - League made a move to crack down on those since IIRC.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Vilardi has a NTC and in his draft year on Mem Cup hosting team. Any deal for him would have to be a two part variety ie Bracco for a whackload of picks this year, and then Vilardi for similar whackload of picks in the off-season. Small risk he'd stick in the pro's though as he's pegged as a mid first rounder in NHL draft. Problem with this is Windsor doesn't have a whackload of picks to offer, so it would have to be whatever picks they have and maybe a couple youngsters like Boka and Carter sorta deal and London could blow that offer out of the water so it would be obvious that it was a two-part deal. Even if London admitted to making one before with the Kadri deal - League made a move to crack down on those since IIRC.

Yeah, pretty sure a player in is draft year would want the exposure of the Memorial Cup to showcase his talent.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

Have to think Vilardi will be a top 5 pick, not mid-first. These days, that means 50-50 he's back next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Have to think Vilardi will be a top 5 pick, not mid-first. These days, that means 50-50 he's back next year.

This is a horribly weak draft year. I don't see more than two players move straight to the NHL this year. More than that will probably be assessed by the "experts" as being a mistake.

What type of D-Man do you need? Age? Ottawa has a couple extra guys hanging around. Their priority has been to develop the three 16 year olds they drafted in the top two rounds this past draft. That has left Auger (17) and Brown (18) on the outside. IF you are looking to round out depth, then either of these two would be decent and cheap. Can't help you if you need a top 4 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad