Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov II: (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm going to keep myself grounded with he's playing in the KHL and therefore means nothing when it comes to the NHL. I did get a kick at seeing Max Afinogenov's name at #20 for points in the KHL. I remember wanting him on the Wild so badly.

Reactions: TaLoN

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I'm going to keep myself grounded with he's playing in the KHL and therefore means nothing when it comes to the NHL.

This is false. There is actually a strong correlation between producing big numbers in KHL as a youngster and translating that success into the NHL. It happens way more often than not. So the odds are heavily on Kirill's side.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Well, I guess that you've got it all figured out. You should let all the teams know how much money that they're wasting by scouting all of these leagues.
All I'm saying is it is a non-guarantee that he is going to match the hype he has as the next Tarasenko or Kucherov.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
All I'm saying is it is a non-guarantee that he is going to match the hype he has as the next Tarasenko or Kucherov.
No, that's what I and others are saying. You said that it means absolutely nothing. Twice.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No, that's what I and others are saying. You said that it means absolutely nothing. Twice.
Stats outside the NHL guarantee nothing. They mean nothing to NHL stats. Linus Omark is a featured player in the KHL. Didn’t stick around the NHL long. So Kaprizov put up similar stats to Kucherov. I’m sure there are other players who were near that who didn’t crack the NHL. KHL stats have no meaning to NHL stats. Just shows they can play in a tier lower league.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Stats outside the NHL guarantee nothing. They mean nothing to NHL stats. Linus Omark is a featured player in the KHL. Didn’t stick around the NHL long. So Kaprizov put up similar stats to Kucherov. I’m sure there are other players who were near that who didn’t crack the NHL. KHL stats have no meaning to NHL stats. Just shows they can play in a tier lower league.

So can I assume, you have never hyped a single prospect in your life?

Reactions: FVM

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Well, right, technically they "mean nothing", but it's all information that can be used to evaluate a prospect. Playing this well in the KHL means he is probably much more likely to be a good NHL player than someone who struggles in the KHL, no?

Reactions: 2Pair and FVM

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i guess i dont understand how people can get amped up over north american prospects who have never played a game in the nhl but think nothing of a euro prospect whose breaking records? thats a head scratcher.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Linus Omark wasn't a nearly PPG player in the KHL at 19, and over PPG at 20. I'm firmly entrenched in the line of thought that production in one league does not guarantee production in another, but at the same time production at a young age in the 2nd best league on Earth does have strong correlation to production as a fully grown adult in the best league on Earth. I think that's all people are saying. Another way of putting it is "his scoring doesn't mean everything, but it also doesn't mean nothing."

I've got a chicken. I believe in the future, I will have eggs, as chickens usually lay eggs. It's not guaranteed, but it's likely.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i guess i dont understand how people can get amped up over north american prospects who have never played a game in the nhl but think nothing of a euro prospect whose breaking records? thats a head scratcher.
By all means, get amped. Get amped about any prospect that does well! Just don't come around yelling bust if the player doesn't meet your expectations and needs time to adjust to the VERY DIFFERENT game that is the NHL.

Kaprizov is unlike a lot of the other recent Russians to have success... he doesn't have their size and speed. That doesn't mean he will fail, that means he may very well have a tougher transition though and that transition period will determine success vs failure.

His performance there gives many reasons to see eventual success, but it's still no guarantee either.

All I say myself is have patience and let things play out, but no outcome should be a surprise outcome either.

I'm excited to see what he can do in the future as well, excited for what he could potentially be for this team... but despite the success he's having, I know his lack of size and speed will hurt him a lot more in the NHL than it ever will in the KHL.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
talon i know your right not to get too hyped example i was about the only person not high on granlund even after he did fantastic in europe. it took him almost 4 seasons to really shine. call it a gut feeling on kaprizov however he could struggle with something as simple as the language barrier.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Nasty ^^

25 points in 23 games, that's good, right?

Also, his shooting percentage is 30.8%

30.8%? That's crazy high. If that settles down to normal... Or even slightly above-average, he'll be slightly under PPG, right? (help me math friends)

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
30% isn't as crazy high for the KHL as it is for the NHL. It's still on the high end, but lots of players shot between 20% and 30% last year it appears. I suspect the league average shooting percentage for the KHL is much higher than the 8 or 9 % we generally get in the KHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad