Speculation: Kirill Kaprizov has tentative agreement on 8-figure deal in KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
He won’t be a Skinner contract. He’s too good for that to happen.

You can tell many don't realize how good he was last year playing with sub-par talent. I can't help but think if we got any decent center he might have signed already. Any of our centers could have out-performed Rask last year yet that was the guy they chained him too, maybe even to save money on his next contract .

Reactions: Digitalbooya

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
It's not really a loophole either. The entire RFA framework is built around the idea that, for drafted players, the team has more leverage and control over contract terms earlier in the player's career. Kaprizov's just a weird case because he waited so long to sign his ELC and therefore doesn't have the same rights that most players his age would.

Kaprizov's situation is that of a player coming off an ELC, so age isn't the most relevant factor here. And teams do want to lock up best ELC guys long term right away rather than bridge them, it's simply the best practice for cap management. Chabot, Heiskanen, Svechnikov all signed 8 year deals coming off ELC. But not every player may want a long term contract. At the moment, Pettersson, Quinn, Dahlin, Tkachuk remain unsigned like Kaprizov, and I am just listing the top tier ELC guys that teams may want to sign to 8 year deals. So, there may be others that may not want to commit to max term. Not every team seems to want to push the term either. Colorado seems comfortable to sign guys up to UFA age.

Whether this turns into a CBA sticking point or not is unclear. Because the guys teams want to sign to these long term deals, they also do not want to alienate, and so are willing to be more flexible. So these players may not need to rely on CBA, since their value to the team gives them more leverage than CBA can provide.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At this late stage of the offseason, I'd say there's no KHL deal with no real end game in sight.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Kap will sign a nice mid-term deal for life changing money, because why wouldn't you want to make millions playing hockey?4-5 years seems like the sweet spot, hoping for 5.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No , you give it up with that BS post. At least form some sort of rational response. I never said 3 year deal. 4 years is dumb unless you want to pay Kaprizov what he wants on he UFA years.

This isn’t an issue as long as what he wants for that year has basis in reality.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it's pretty clear that Theofanous has sold KK on his ability to get him a Panarin deal ASAP.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I think there is a KHL deal, but he doesn’t want to sign it, unless nothing decently close comes across in the NHL.

Didn't the GM of his old KHL team deny this? Plus I think the rumored 10 million 1 year deal would be pretty hard to fit under the 12 million team salary cap in KHL I think.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Didn't the GM of his old KHL team deny this? Plus I think the rumored 10 million 1 year deal would be pretty hard to fit under the 12 million team salary cap in KHL I think.

There was never any contract offer. Immediately after the '10 million' rumor came out CSKA put out a press release saying they'd love to have him back but they'd need to negotiate a deal. Now they're saying he's not in their plans.

But CSKA would take him back in a heartbeat if the situation looked likely; just not at 10 million. They could probably pay him $1.5 to 2 million - which is the equivalent of a $3-4 million NHL contract considering taxes.
That's not a bad 1 year alternative if both sides are at an impasse and he doesn't want to get roped into a longer term deal. Then they'd start negotiations again next year.
That said, Minnesota would probably trade him before that happens.

Reactions: Helistin and kp61c

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
There was never any contract offer. Immediately after the '10 million' rumor came out CSKA put out a press release saying they'd love to have him back but they'd need to negotiate a deal. Now they're saying he's not in their plans.

But CSKA would take him back in a heartbeat if the situation looked likely; just not at 10 million. They could probably pay him $1.5 to 2 million - which is the equivalent of a $3-4 million NHL contract considering taxes.
That's not a bad 1 year alternative if both sides are at an impasse and he doesn't want to get roped into a longer term deal. Then they'd start negotiations again next year.
That said, Minnesota would probably trade him before that happens.

Minnesota isn't signing him to 1 year deal considering he can just signed a 1 year deal next offseason than leave. Same reasons 3 year deal isn't happening. Same reasons Minnesota beat writer has now reported he's more open to 4-6 years deal

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Anything other than something like 4*8M or 5*8.5M is almost impossible to see happening. Add .5M per if KK gets his way. Both parties know it very well so just get it done already. KHL is no real option and that too was very obvious from the very start.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Confirmed with Link!

upload_2021-8-31_14-50-38.gif

P10p

May 15, 2012
In time you'll see I was right, laugh now, cry later.

Y'all need a chill pill. Kaprizov is staying find rejoice in that.

I would love to find rejoice in it if you had a source and weren't some random poster on the forums saying "trust me".

I hope you're right, genuinely. But there is a reason why the "confirmed signing with link" and "rumor" tag are seperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad