Injury Report: Kirby Dach injured — upd: out 4-5 months

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
He’s not a kid. He’s a critical part of an NHL franchise now going on his second season

He’s a pro. Not a junior. Not a kid.

‘Representing your country’ is irrelevant. I know it’s a big deal in Canada. It shouldn’t be.

Well I don't think Nascar is even remotely a big deal, and kinda stupid. But Americans like it.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It's pathetic to say...

But watching Dach on the team was a legit part of my "things are looking up for 2021" toast to the new year.

Welp.

Yup. Me too. It was like, welp we'll be in lockdown so I won't be able to visit with any of my friends, but at least I'll enjoy the WJC.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hand/wrist has potential long term ramifications. It can kill a player's shot. There are players that had special shots suddenly lose it after a hand/wrist injury.

It's similar to a hitter in baseball losing power afer that type of injury.
Oh no, Kirby's not gonna shoot the puck from now on?!? What a complete 180 over what he's been like in the past...

Sarcasm aside, there never seems to be many long term negative effects of a wrist/hand injury in hockey. Like you could make a long list of guys who were never the same after a nasty concussion, or back problems, or acl tears, or anything like that, but how many guys can you think of that has had his level of play drop after a hand injury?

Of course it could have an affect on his game, but it's not all too likely and I'm happy he has an injury like this and not a meniscus tear like Nylander. Because one of those is much more troublesome to get over than the other, and it's not likely the one Kirby has.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I'm sure Bowman didn't ask Dach to go...Dach wanted to go because you only get so many chances to win medals for your country, let alone at a wjc or to even captain your team.

I agree that at this point he's not gonna get a better hockey player playing a wjc but it's always good to take responsibility and captain a team. It's also good to have people in the organization who know how to win.

It's also about treating people the right way. You want your players motivated, not frustrated. Also, Dach is gonna be a cornerstone of the Blackhawks franchise for many years...there'll also be situations when Bowman needs something from Dach.

For example, Timo Meier really wanted to play for Rapperswil, the team he played for at junior level before moving to Halifax. Doug Wilson didn't allow it and Meier made it pretty clear in multiple interviews that he's not particularly happy with the decision. Could take quite a few years until he gets another chance to play for Rapperswil. I get that he's maybe the Sharks best forward and that Wilson is desperate to rebound from a bad season...still not sure if it was worth the bad blood.
They play for pro franchises. Act like one

Don’t become a pro if you want to play for ‘your country’ in an exhibition tournament with mostly amateurs

if Meier has bad blood the he needs to grow up and be a professional. What possible upside would the GM of an NHL team have for letting a critical part or your NHL team play in some exhibition tourney with his youth club?

I really think Andy Reid should let Patrick Mahomes go back and play in Texas A&Ms bowl game because of school pride or something.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
If you're under 20, you're eligible. Thats all that matters and its hockey tournament experience that valuable. Toews at 19 played it too. That Dach played in the NHL his draft year doesn't make it not helpful experience
Eligible and allowed are two different things.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Ya, same. Not sure why that example was thrown out there. NASCAR is huge among select regions, but not so big that it’s enjoyed by all Americans.
Yes. It was a dumb comparison.

a better comparison would be college football

like my example above, maybe thw Chiefs will allow Mahomes to go back and play a bowl game with amateurs.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They play for pro franchises. Act like one

Don’t become a pro if you want to play for ‘your country’ in an exhibition tournament with mostly amateurs

if Meier has bad blood the he needs to grow up and be a professional. What possible upside would the GM of an NHL team have for letting a critical part or your NHL team play in some exhibition tourney with his youth club?

I really think Andy Reid should let Patrick Mahomes go back and play in Texas A&Ms bowl game because of school pride or something.

Not everything outside of the nhl is an exhibition. Just saying:D
And again. It's about treating people the right way. There'll also be a time when you have to ask the player for a favor.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes. It was a dumb comparison.

a better comparison would be college football

like my example above, maybe thw Chiefs will allow Mahomes to go back and play a bowl game with amateurs.
? Yes its like letting a 4 year vet. No its letting anyone who still had was drafted 1 year ago play even if they played in the main league or not. Turcotte and Bynam who thr Hawks equally could of drafted at 3 are playing because it's still solid experience. Whether you played vs NHLers for 1 season doesnt discount it has value to development and ability.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Oh no, Kirby's not gonna shoot the puck from now on?!? What a complete 180 over what he's been like in the past...

Sarcasm aside, there never seems to be many long term negative effects of a wrist/hand injury in hockey. Like you could make a long list of guys who were never the same after a nasty concussion, or back problems, or acl tears, or anything like that, but how many guys can you think of that has had his level of play drop after a hand injury?

Of course it could have an affect on his game, but it's not all too likely and I'm happy he has an injury like this and not a meniscus tear like Nylander. Because one of those is much more troublesome to get over than the other, and it's not likely the one Kirby has.

Rask and Del Zotto come to mind immediately. I'm sure I could name more when thinking about it. Have to be very unlucky but hand/wrist can be very complicated.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Rask and Del Zotto come to mind immediately. I'm sure I could name more when thinking about it.
Of course there are exceptions, I'm not saying a hand injury has never had a negative affect.

I'm saying the odds of him having this injury be detrimental to his long term outlook is a lot lower than a considerable amount of other injuries he could've sustained instead.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

The only Blackhawk I can think of in recent years who had a wrist injury negatively affect his play was Kruger. But seeing as how his shot was pretty garbage on his best day I'm not sure it really f***ed him up that bad. His decline probably had more to do with his penchant for getting absolutely destroyed every other game getting the puck out of the zone or making a pass.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Rask and Del Zotto come to mind immediately. I'm sure I could name more when thinking about it. Have to be very unlucky but hand/wrist can be very complicated.

Semin is an obvious one. These are all guys who had connective tissue damage though, I wouldnt expect a simple fracture to be as nasty (if it is that)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The only Blackhawk I can think of in recent years who had a wrist injury negatively affect his play was Kruger. But seeing as how his shot was pretty garbage on his best day I'm not sure it really f***ed him up that bad. His decline probably had more to do with his penchant for getting absolutely destroyed every other game getting the puck out of the zone or making a pass.
Kruger's injury is a good call back, but yeah, it was his whole body being destroyed that ultimately knocked him out of the NHL. The wrist was just one of a long list of beatings he took.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Looks like a dislocated hand to me. I've done this. It is painful, and that pain lasts for several weeks, but there's really no lasting side effects. The more x-rays thing is likely just to make sure there were no fractures when it dislocated.

This is my hope, anyways.
There didnt look like the was a lot of force, just bent the wrong way or jammed it. I cant see it being long term or have an affect on him after it heals.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If its a fractured ulna, then its fine. He’ll recover fast and it wont affect his game at all.

All aboard the tank train!

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
toews had a lingering wrist injury back in 2012 that lingered all season long. kane had surgery on a fractured wrist back in 2011.

claude giroux and malkin also had not insignificant wrist injuries in the past that hindered them in playoff runs of the past of which I think they both ended up having off-season wrist surgery

in all those four cases it seems none had any medium to long term impacts once healed

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Kane broke his wrist in 2011 and came back just fine after that. If anything, it’d likely affect his game more this season but with the right work, he’ll be just fine long term. The injury to me looked more like he jammed it or dislocated it, which is much better than a broken wrist. Either way, I don’t expect it to negatively impact his game much long term.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Well I don't think Nascar is even remotely a big deal, and kinda stupid. But Americans like it.
Not a remotely apt comparison

Most Americans outside of certain regions don’t care about nascar

but to use that comparison, it would be likely a highly paid professional driver that’s a key part of a pro team that a pro owner has hundreds of millions to billions of dollars riding on, going and doing some exhibition race with a bunch of amateur drivers and risking an accident

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad